The Student Room Group

medicine and theatre

i'm planning on starting medicine in september (at either bristol or edinburgh), but i'm worried that, as someone who has been very involved in theatre and music at school - to the point that i was thinking of choosing it as a career - i won't be able to sustain these activities at university. is it at all possible to sustain both (at a relatively high intensity level)?
Hey there, thanks for posting a question in the Medicine forum. :biggrin:

The Medicine forum gets a high volume of questions being posted, and some of these are already answered by the resources and Megathreads that members of the community and volunteers have created. This is an automatic post which is designed to highlight these resources. Below is a list of threads and articles that could answer your question (you should be looking in the original post of the megathreads). If one of the below threads is a more relevant place to ask your question, please post a reply in that thread to ask your question. If your query is answered by one of the Megathreads or articles linked below, and you would like us to close this thread for you, please reply to this thread with just the words "thank you". A member of our team will then get it locked.

Megathreads
(Please read the first post, before then posting any further questions you have within that thread.)
The "Which Medical School Should I Apply To?" Uberthread
The Ultimate 'Am I Good Enough For Medicine?' Angst Thread
Medicine A-Level subjects queries
Work Experience and Voluntary Work

2023 Applicants:
Official Undergraduate Medicine 2023 Entry
Graduate Entry Medicine 2023 Entry
Medicine 2023 entry for resit / retake / gap year applicants
A100 Medicine for International Students 2023 Entry
Medicine Interview discussion 2023 Entry
2023 entry A100 / A101 Medicine fastest and slowest offer senders
Index of Individual Medical School Applicants' threads 2023 Entry

2024 Applicants :
Official Undergraduate Medicine 2024 Entry
Graduate Entry Medicine 2024 Entry
GAMSAT 2024 / 2025 entry discussions megathread
UCAT 2024 Entry Discussions Megathread

Other application years:
Graduate Entry Medicine 2025 Entry
Official Undergraduate Medicine 2025 Entry

Useful Articles:
GCSE Requirements for Medicine
Everything you need to know about the BMAT
Work Experience as a Graduate or Mature student
Medicine Personal Statement Advice
Medicine Personal Statement Advice (Graduate Entry)
Interview Frequently Asked Questions
MMI Medicine Interview Tips
What to do after an unsuccessful first application

If your query is answered by one of the Megathreads or articles linked above, and you would like us to close this thread for you, please reply to this thread with just the words "thank you". A member of our team will then get it locked.
Reply 2
Original post by nitaflea
i'm planning on starting medicine in september (at either bristol or edinburgh), but i'm worried that, as someone who has been very involved in theatre and music at school - to the point that i was thinking of choosing it as a career - i won't be able to sustain these activities at university. is it at all possible to sustain both (at a relatively high intensity level)?

That is a hard one for me to answer as not a medical student so hopefully others with more experience of those particular med schools might be able to answer. (Perhaps amend your title to specifically reference them?)

More generally though, from what I saw of trawling around various open days many were very keen on students having hobbies and interests outside medicine. Several had theatre groups and put on revues and plays etc. But i suspect from what you infer in your post that it might be a bit too am-dram possibly?

I flag it though just to show that some level is clearly possible in some places. It may however be a factor of how integrated the clinical component is in the early years of those particular courses because i could see that long clinical hours and potential travel requirements on top of study needs might make a long run or high level commitment challenging to mainatain long term.

Good luck.
(edited 11 months ago)
Reply 3
You haven't mentioned the kind of commitment you have to theatre/ music interests other than 'high intensity'. I am not involved in these activities, so it is difficult to provide insight.

I am aware of students that spend a lot of time pursuing sports, small business ventures outside medical school and recently spoke with students who are part of the university orchestra (they mentioned this was a considerable time commitment). These are medical students from 1st to final year, which suggests that you will not have to completely abandon your other interests. Personally, I have worked throughout medical school, committing to 35 hours per week in my 4th year. As with all things, you may have to compromise. Its up to you whether you would like to be a high achiever/just pass or give up some of time you spend pursuing outside interests. You may feel especially pressed for time around exams.
Hi, I know it’s super late but one of the registrars I know (she’s doing training to become a consultant in cardiothoracics or something similar) is also heavily involved in theatre and musical productions, I’m not sure about the degree of ‘intensity’ that she does them to, but from the photos I’ve seen it all seems very professional. I’m not sure how she was able to maintain them with her schedule being ridiculously busy but she’s managed, so hopefully you can too! She’s incredibly passionate about theatre so that probably helps. I’m pretty certain that doing theatre alongside medicine actually benefits your application when applying for specialty training later on (basically you can get more points if you do an extracurricular to a very high degree of professionalism) so it’s definitely worth trying to keep at it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending