The Student Room Group

Ba Acting

Hey does any have any views between BA Acting schools where to apply
(edited 10 months ago)
Hey, I am currently applying to drama schools too. Make sure where you're applying is a drama school rather than a university course because I've heard from people that the level of training in hugely different.
I auditioned for a couple of schools last year.
My favourite was Royal Central; overall was a lovely vibe, everyone was really nice - the teachers, current students and the applicants were all lovely. I also saw a play there and the level of acting was great. The tube station is literally right outside the school as well so easy to get to. There is an acting course, Musical theatre course and a collaborative devised acting course. You're considered for all three when you apply for acting.
Rada is also considered one of the best drama schools. It's often considered posh and has a 0.8% acceptance rate. The play I saw there was phenomenal - the acting was probably the best out of any drama school play I've seen. It was an Irish play and their accents were spot on (my family is Irish so I know it was good) It was relatively easy to get to as well.
GSA (Guildford school of acting) is also a great school. I know some people who go/went there and really love(d) it. It is part of the university of Surrey so has all the benefits of a university including the accommodation on campus (which usually drama schools don't have), and all the experiences and things about uni that drama school doesn't usually offer. It is, however, still a drama school and has it's own separate website as it is technically a separate establishment (a drama school, not university course). It's a lovely campus.
Mountview is a very highly regarded school in Peckham, famous for their musical theatre. I didn't personally love Mountview as much as I think their acting course is a bit too "musical theatre acting" acting style. The students said they felt that the musical theatre course was praised more and agents and teachers sometimes forget about the acting course a bit. It's also much more expensive: most drama schools are £9,250 per year but Mountview is over £14,000 per year.
Rose Bruford is another school I wasn't personally too keen on but is still a great school. They offer courses you won't get elsewhere, for example their American theatre arts course, in which you spend a term or something in an American university.
LAMDA is also a great school. I don't know too much about them but their play was really good - a great set design and emotional acting.

Now the schools I don't know much about:
LIPA is apparently great - they apparently have a similar vibe to Royal Central. Their musical theatre course is more singing and acting orientated.
Chichester is a university and I've heard from some people that it seems like a great place, but from someone else who went there, apparently it's a pretty bad acting course and it won't make you more credible. In general, I've heard to steer clear of university acting courses, even though it is insanely difficult to get into drama school (it can take several times applying (apparently Judi Dench got into Central on her 5th try) so don't feel bad if you don't get in first try, a lot of students I've spoken to didn't get in first time).
Bristol old vic is one to look into.
Italia conti is another good one.
Guildhall also.
I've heard the met film school isn't so good for acting as they are for technical film courses.
Bird do a musical theatre course, not an acting BA, and are very dance orientated.

These are just my opinions and what I know about the schools, you might find that you think the complete opposite! The main way to get a feel for the schools are to visit them. GSA have open days (university of surrey open days but make sure it's an open day including GSA, sometimes they just do the medical department open days etc.) Mountview also do open days. Royal central do open days (And you get a tour of the building at your audition.) Rose Bruford do open days. Rada and LAMDA to my knowledge do not, but I could be wrong.
A brilliant way to get a vibe of the school is go and see one of their plays (make sure the students of whichever course you're interested in are performing).
Reply 2
Can you tell me anything about Artsed please
Hi, so I'm sure you already know but Artsed is far more expensive than other drama schools, which usually match university fees at £9,250 per year. For Artsed BA acting course, it is different prices per year (look it up) and usually a bit over 15 or 16 thousand per year.
As I understand, Artsed is often known for it's dance and musical theatre (Mountview is known for it's musical theatre and the acting students said they really felt that, so be careful which school you're applying to for which course.)
It is recognised as an exceptional school, with excellent pastoral care and is known as one of the best drama schools in the uk. On their website, take a look at their FAQs - some useful info in there. They have a 6th form and a secondary school as well from year 7.
Hello. A lot of the time it depends on what you like as the person and how hard you are willing to work at drama school and post drama school.

I know you have asked about Arts Ed and it is a great school, but all of them are. You’ll find so many different opinions on them all though but it’s so unique to you as a person and what you like with the training, but you won’t really know until you’re actually on the course.

Arts Ed is a lot more expensive, but as a school in general it’s really good.

The top drama schools in the UK for BA Acting are:
RADA
LAMDA
RWCMD
BOVTS
Royal Birmingham Conservatoire
Rose Bruford
GSA
Guildhall
Arts Ed
Mountview
East 15
Central
The Oxford School of Drama
Manchester School of Theatre
Drama Studio London
LIPA
Royal Conservatoire of Scotland
Italia Conti

I have friends/know people who have trained in every school all varying from different success rates post training and all have had different feelings towards them all :smile: reputation wise they are all reputable.
(edited 10 months ago)
+Guildhall
Original post by ageshallnot
+Guildhall

D’oh how could I forget?! I’ll add them now
Reply 7
Original post by whatacatchdonnie
D’oh how could I forget?! I’ll add them now

Thanks these replies are very helpful. I was also interested in Italia Conti but since I want acting I was not sure. Someone told me they are also more MT but I don t know. Also they are no longer in London I think. Does anyone have any information how it is at the new premises and about their acting course too. Thanks again
Original post by Billi2021
Thanks these replies are very helpful. I was also interested in Italia Conti but since I want acting I was not sure. Someone told me they are also more MT but I don t know. Also they are no longer in London I think. Does anyone have any information how it is at the new premises and about their acting course too. Thanks again

Both Conti and Arts Ed have very prestigious musical theatre courses. But that doesn’t mean their acting courses aren’t fantastic. Have you got offers from both?
(edited 10 months ago)
Reply 9
Hello. A lot of the time it depends on what you like as the person and how hard you are willing to work at drama school and post drama school.

I know you have asked about Arts Ed and it is a great school, but all of them are. You’ll find so many different opinions on them all though but it’s so unique to you as a person and what you like with the training, but you won’t really know until you’re actually on the course.

RADA
LAMDA
RWCMD
BOVTS
Rose Bruford
GSA
Guildhall
Arts Ed
Mountview
East 15
Central
Drama Studio London
LIPA
Italia Conti

I have friends/know people who have trained in every school all varying from different success rates post training and all have had different feelings towards them all :smile: reputation wise they are all reputable.

That's an interesting list! I wondered if you had heard anything about the new drama school in Bristol - Bristol School Of Acting? It's been set up by some pretty impressive people - including Many Medina - but, of course, there's very little to read online about it and their first few cohorts have only been out in the big bad world for a couple of years.
RADA
LAMDA
RWCMD
BOVTS
Rose Bruford
GSA
Guildhall
Arts Ed
Mountview
East 15
Central
Drama Studio London
LIPA
Italia Conti

hey, i’ve been offered a BA at Drama studio, what have people said about their experience there? thanks
Original post by maxxiesomerville
hey, i’ve been offered a BA at Drama studio, what have people said about their experience there? thanks

My friend in first year is loving it 🙂 but if you can, try and have a look at the third years and find them on instagram and pop them a message about their experience. They’ll be able to advise you best. But congratulations

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending