The Student Room Group

TSR Physics Society

Scroll to see replies

Hello , I am student in Bradford uni, doing Foundation in Engineering . as a part of foundation studies at the uni I should take A-level Physics as I have not done it before. So, Could you advise me what is the best and useful text book for A level physics ? I want a book to be very comprehensive and easy to follow. especially at (Electricity and Magnetism) which is all first semester about , and ( Waves and Vibrations) which is all the second semester about. :smile: Thank You in advance.
What's the SI unit for angles??
Original post by ThunderSup
What's the SI unit for angles??

The SI unit of angles is generally the radian, although angles are dimensionless. The radian is the radius of a circle divided by the arc length that the angle subtends, both of which have dimensions of length.
Reply 983
There doesn't seem to be a lot of discussion going on here recently. What are you guys studying at the moment? :smile:
We just studied Young's Double Slit experiment, and did a test on electricity.
I'm trying to read about corona discharge.
Reply 984
Original post by yangg
There doesn't seem to be a lot of discussion going on here recently. What are you guys studying at the moment? :smile:
We just studied Young's Double Slit experiment, and did a test on electricity.
I'm trying to read about corona discharge.

Gravity and electromagnetism. Got my A2 mock on Thursday :zomg:

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
Original post by yangg
(...)

Quantum physics. Double-slit-experiments with different objects and the wave-particle-dualism to be exactly.
Reply 986
Original post by adi19956
Gravity and electromagnetism. Got my A2 mock on Thursday :zomg:

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

What did you learn for those topics?
Good luck with the exam.
Reply 987
I'm really surprising myself at how much physics I have forgotten already on my gap year, I think I'm going to need to do some serious revision before starting uni :lol:
Reply 988
Original post by alow
I'm really surprising myself at how much physics I have forgotten already on my gap year, I think I'm going to need to do some serious revision before starting uni :lol:

What will you study at university?:smile::smile:
Reply 989
Original post by yangg
What will you study at university?:smile::smile:

Physical NatSci :lol:
Reply 990
Original post by alow
Physical NatSci :lol:

Ah, I was wondering if I should do natural science too. So which science subjects will you be studying other than physics?:smile:
I'm studying AS at the moment and I'm currently doing math, further math, physics and chemistry.
Reply 991
Original post by yangg
Ah, I was wondering if I should do natural science too. So which science subjects will you be studying other than physics?:smile:
I'm studying AS at the moment and I'm currently doing math, further math, physics and chemistry.

For A Level I did maths, biology, chemistry and physics and am doing further maths on my gap year.

For first year undergrad I think I'm going to do chemistry, physics, maths and either computer science or earth sciences.
Have a question, and this seems like the place to go! I'm doing a study regarding rockets/multi-staging. I was just wondering if anyone could help me out with answering why when rockets are about to let go of empty fuel canisters in the sky why the slow down and are decelerating at the speed of gravity and then after a while (presumably when they drop the canister) accelerate really rapidly? Is this because the rocket wants the canister to fall at the speed of gravity when it drops it? I have no idea! :colondollar:
Reply 993
Original post by jpowell
Changed, I've no reason to disbelieve you.

Is that the avatar of Richard Feynman?
Hello iam new to this student community and and ill br giving GCSE O'levels Physics this May 2014 and i badly want an A* grade.Iam not that much of a good student but my teacher says that if a target an A*, i will get an A and if i target an A, i will get a B. So my teacher wants me to get an A. Soo please any tips and revision help i can get? Also can you tell me what type queations comes in the xams? I mean experimental or maths solving questions and stuff. And which chapters to concentrate more?
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 995
I don't do physics but I was curious:

if you were to measure the rate of movement of a car, you could measure a set distance for a car to travel and measure the time residents for it to travel this speed.

Is this the same as measuring the distance travelled in a specific time?

Is there a difference between measuring set distance or set time?
Reply 996
Original post by ps1265A
I don't do physics but I was curious:

if you were to measure the rate of movement of a car, you could measure a set distance for a car to travel and measure the time residents for it to travel this speed.

Is this the same as measuring the distance travelled in a specific time?

Is there a difference between measuring set distance or set time?

Your post doesn't make sense.
Reply 997
Original post by alow
Your post doesn't make sense.

Measuring the rate of travel of car:
Experiment: Measure a set distance. Measure the time taken for it to travel this distance

I'm saying can you do this with a "set" time to work out RATE?
Experiment: Measure distance travelled in a set time
Reply 998
Original post by ps1265A
Measuring the rate of travel of car:
Experiment: Measure a set distance. Measure the time taken for it to travel this distance

I'm saying can you do this with a "set" time to work out RATE?
Experiment: Measure distance travelled in a set time

Assuming it's not going very fast (a decent fraction of the speed of light), then yes.
Reply 999
Original post by alow
Assuming it's not going very fast (a decent fraction of the speed of light), then yes.

Which one is more reliable?

Quick Reply

Latest