The Student Room Group
Student Outside, University of Aberdeen
University of Aberdeen

How would you describe Aberdeen (university and city) ?

Hi, I'm debating whether to go to university of Aberdeen or not. Can people tell me about the city and the school, pros and cons? I'll be an international student. Anything at all would be helpful.
Reply 1
I'm interested too, just in case you haven't read it, check out Lonely Planet's guide of Aberdeen, good stuff!
Also, if you're bored, why not play with Google street view? :wink:
Student Outside, University of Aberdeen
University of Aberdeen
Reply 2
Original post by JakBeagle
I'm interested too, just in case you haven't read it, check out Lonely Planet's guide of Aberdeen, good stuff!
Also, if you're bored, why not play with Google street view? :wink:

hehehe not a bad idea...will do
Reply 3
Original post by sophia95
hehehe not a bad idea...will do

Aberdeen is really quite a nice place to live. It's a fairly quiet city but there is plenty to do. Lots of clubs and some really nice bars. Also quite a few places you can hear live music and we do get some big acts to Aberdeen as well but there are also places like the lemon tree to hear smaller ones. The beach is lovely to have especially on a nice day and they've got all the amusements there too which are good too. There is like 4 or 5 shopping centres so pretty much anything you'd need and all the usual like cinemas and everything. Aberdeen uni is really lovely, it's in old Aberdeen so it's all old and cobbly and has all the old buildings which are beautiful and then the new library which is pretty stunning. It's also a fairly small campus so it's quite homely. They also have the sports village which is newish and have pretty much everything you'd need. They're also opening the aqua centre at the end of this month I think and it looks like it's going to be really good too! These are just 5 minutes from the uni

I'd say the bad things are that it can be quite cold and rainy but we do get some lovely days too. I think perhaps if you'd come from a very large city you might find it too quiet but there is still plenty to do and most people seem happy here. It is possible to walk from the uni to the centre of town but it is a bit of a walk and the public transport can be a bit pricey.

That's just what I can think of off the top of my head but if you have any other questions just ask!
Reply 4
Original post by rowany
Aberdeen is really quite a nice place to live. It's a fairly quiet city but there is plenty to do. Lots of clubs and some really nice bars. Also quite a few places you can hear live music and we do get some big acts to Aberdeen as well but there are also places like the lemon tree to hear smaller ones. The beach is lovely to have especially on a nice day and they've got all the amusements there too which are good too. There is like 4 or 5 shopping centres so pretty much anything you'd need and all the usual like cinemas and everything. Aberdeen uni is really lovely, it's in old Aberdeen so it's all old and cobbly and has all the old buildings which are beautiful and then the new library which is pretty stunning. It's also a fairly small campus so it's quite homely. They also have the sports village which is newish and have pretty much everything you'd need. They're also opening the aqua centre at the end of this month I think and it looks like it's going to be really good too! These are just 5 minutes from the uni

I'd say the bad things are that it can be quite cold and rainy but we do get some lovely days too. I think perhaps if you'd come from a very large city you might find it too quiet but there is still plenty to do and most people seem happy here. It is possible to walk from the uni to the centre of town but it is a bit of a walk and the public transport can be a bit pricey.

That's just what I can think of off the top of my head but if you have any other questions just ask!

Thanks so much! That's very helpful!
Original post by rowany
It is possible to walk from the uni to the centre of town but it is a bit of a walk and the public transport can be a bit pricey.

How much is a bus ticket? I've been hearing about how expensive the public transport is, but can't imagine what it actually means - especially since the cheapest halls in Aberdeen are 90 pounds a week!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Original post by czechmishaout
How much is a bus ticket? I've been hearing about how expensive the public transport is, but can't imagine what it actually means - especially since the cheapest halls in Aberdeen are 90 pounds a week!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Erm trying to remember exactly how much it was when I went for my interview, I think it was about £1.35 ish for a single to the centre of town but that was using my young persons card so it must be about £1.80 ish for a normal adult single.
However, like any company you can get like season passes which are reduced for students
http://www.firstgroup.com/ukbus/aberdeen/tickets/student_bus_travel/tickets.php

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending