The Student Room Group

Kent or Aberdeen?

I am confused on what uni to choose. I got BBC in my A levels and through clearing, I have got accepted into the University of Kent and Aberdeen. In terms of ranking, Aberdeen is higher then Kent in Law but from what I’ve heard, the surrounding area and actual city isn’t very appealing whereas Kent is lower ranking but the surrounding area seems decent. I also got accepted into Aston University in Birmingham but I think i’m mostly considering Kent or Aberdeen. I’m seriously conflicted and need some help. I personally just want somewhere where my career prospects after the degree are good. Can someone help me with their experiences or any pros and cons?
Reply 1
Both Unis are 'good' and Kent has an excellent reputation for Law.
Just remember that unless stated otherwise, Scottish Unis teach Scottish Law.
Hello @Grinchy

Congratulations on receiving your results and University offers! :biggrin: I will be starting my third year of law LLB at the University of Kent this summer. Hope my insights on studying at Kent can be of some help. :smile:

For the surrounding environment, Kent has very easy access to town centre, either by foot or bus. :smile: The campus is very beautiful, there is a lot of scenery (as the campus is on top of a hill). Accommodation on campus is very convenient, with lecture halls and seminar rooms being minutes away from accommodations. Therefore, if you would like a good mix of nature and city feel, Kent is quite a good choice.

In terms of career options, the University of Kent has an employability point scheme, these are great ways to secure insight days, work experience etc. More information on this can be found here. In terms of career prospects, many law firms look for legal work experience, so completing in person work or online programmes will be very important. In addition to this service, the University of Kent has its own Careers and Employability Service that gives students advice and tools to become more employable after graduation. You can find out more about this here.

One thing that stood out to me during my studies at the University of Kent, is the PAL Leaders Scheme: All first year law students are automatically assigned a mentor (who is either a second year or third year law student). My mentor was amazing in providing me with information and advice, this helped me ease into a law degree and get used to the University setting. On top of this we were also given academic advisors to guide us through the programme. I felt very supported during my first two years of studies.

I hope my insights of studying at Kent can help to inform your decision.
All the best! :biggrin:

Chloe :smile:
-University of Kent Student Rep
Original post by Grinchy
I am confused on what uni to choose. I got BBC in my A levels and through clearing, I have got accepted into the University of Kent and Aberdeen. In terms of ranking, Aberdeen is higher then Kent in Law but from what I’ve heard, the surrounding area and actual city isn’t very appealing whereas Kent is lower ranking but the surrounding area seems decent. I also got accepted into Aston University in Birmingham but I think i’m mostly considering Kent or Aberdeen. I’m seriously conflicted and need some help. I personally just want somewhere where my career prospects after the degree are good. Can someone help me with their experiences or any pros and cons?

Hi, this is the University of Aberdeen. Just want to start by saying thanks for considering us! I would agree with one of the above posters to ensure you pick the programme that's best for you practicing law; if you have an offer for the Law LLB with us that will be in Scots law, but there is also the Law with English Law LLB which is dual qualifying. Be sure that the degree you pick qualifies you to practice where you think you would like to live after uni!

I think it's definitely a good idea to have a look beyond the rankings. Every uni aims to have good rankings but picking where you want to study is a very personal choice so definitely worth considering more.

I would recommend having a look around this site for students of each of the unis you have offers from to see what the general consensus is.
It's also worth thinking about the cities and what appeals to you. Do you want to be close to or far away from family, do you want to be in a big or small city, are there things/places in that city that you're interested in or will be good for any hobbies you have; those sorts of factors should definitely be on your mind as well as the actual courses of each of the universities.
Then it would be worth having a look on each of our websites to see what appeals to you about the courses eg. course content, projects you will get to do through your degree, prospects upon graduation, that sort of thing. We'd be very happy to help if you have any specific questions about Aberdeen, both as a city and the student experience here.

I hope this information has been useful and all the best with coming to a decision!

- Matthew, Enquiry Team

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending