The Student Room Group

*MEGATHREAD* - The Official 2014 Medicine Interview Preparation Thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1900
Original post by Priya_Biju
Hey everyone!
I am applying to medicine this year and I am about to start preparing for my interviews (that's me hoping that I will get at least one interview!). I couldn't find any Medicine Interview Prep thread for 2014 so I thought I will start one.
As the application deadline approaching, more people will start sending off their applications. I'm starting this thread for those who want to start interview preparation as early as possible. Can I just emphasize that this thread is for interview preparation, not post-interview discussion. Please refrain from doing so as it is against TSR policy.

ISC Medical School Interview Book:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Medical-Scho...8829215&sr=8-2
I would highly recommend buying this book as I have been told it provides a lot of help with interviews. This seems like the most popular interview prep book among medicine applicants. (I just ordered mine :wink:)

If you know of any other useful interview prep material, please share it as it will be useful for other people too.

Sharing is caring :colondollar:

Lets all hope that all our hard work pays off !! Good luck future Doctors!
:smile:

LOL. @sharing is caring :tongue: managed to get any interviews yet? I havent spoken to you in like AGES, PM?!
hey g uys do you have any examples of questions focusing on motivation? or empathy?
Original post by June-2013
hey g uys do you have any examples of questions focusing on motivation? or empathy?

Motivation- What would you do if you didn't get in this year?

Empathy- Tell me about a patient who stood out to you most during your work experience?
Hello people,
Its so nice to know this thread has been useful for all you guys! Well done to all of you who managed to get interviews and offers :smile: Unfortunately for me today marks the day of my fourth and final rejection without any interviews. Oh well, that's life. Gonna come back better and stronger next year I suppose!

Good Luck all!:wink:
Hello people,
Its so nice to know this thread has been useful for all you guys! Well done to all of you who managed to get interviews and offers :smile: Unfortunately for me today marks the day of my fourth and final rejection without any interviews. Oh well, that's life. Gonna come back better and stronger next year I suppose!

Good Luck all!:wink:

really sorry to hear that! :frown:
where did you apply ? and if you dont feel like alkign about it thendont worry !

good luck next year!
Original post by VeenaPatel
really sorry to hear that! :frown:
where did you apply ? and if you dont feel like alkign about it thendont worry !

good luck next year!

I applied to Sheffield, Nottingham, Kings and Leicester.
I applied to med for the first time althou I am on a gap year atm. Looks like two gap years for me :P
WBU?
What are your UKCAT scores? I have 715.
I applied to Sheffield, Nottingham, Kings and Leicester.
I applied to med for the first time althou I am on a gap year atm. Looks like two gap years for me :P
WBU?

leeds rejection pre interview :frown:
sheffield rejection pre interview :/
cardiff offer :smile:
bristol interveiw march 18 :eek:

Motivation:
- Why did you want to study Medicine? What led you to make the decision to apply to study Medicine?
- Why not a nurse? Why not an engineer? Why not biochemistry?
- What do you want to achieve in your medical career?
- What are the negative elements of a career in medicine? What are the positive elements of a career in medicine?
- From speaking with doctors on your work experience placement, what did you find out about the realities of a career in medicine?
- Why do some people graduate from medical school and then never practice medicine?
- What challenges do you think that you will face throughout your medical career and how will you deal with them?
- What are the differences between the challenges and responsibilities faced by a junior doctor (FY1 and FY2) and by a consultant?

Empathy:
- Are you an empathic person?
- Describe an experience with a patient on your work experience where you had to show empathy and demonstrate listening skills.
- How would you tell a patient that they had a seriously life threatening condition? What steps would you take to ensure that the patient was as comfortable as possible when telling them this information?
- Why do you think that patients can get angry and distressed whilst in hospital?
- It is 3AM. You are a junior doctor (FY2) on a night shift in the A&E department of a busy city hospital. A drunk gentleman in one of the bays (who has been screaming and shouting at the nurses since he arrived) pulls his cannula out, and threatens to harm the nurse attempting to calm him down. There is a 5 year old patient in the side room opposite, who seems incredibly distressed by the gentleman's behaviour. How do you respond?
- How would you make a patient feel less scared?
- How would you persuade a 7 year old (who insists that they hate needles and seem very afraid) to have an injection?
- You are an FY1 doctor. A patient with dementia is being treated on your ward. She has fallen, hitting her head on the way down, and there is bruising on the side of her face, so it is vitally important that she is sent for a CT scan as soon as possible. The patient is clearly confused, her personality has changed a bit after her fall and she is now quite volatile. The patient continues to insist that her husband (who has been dead for the past 10 years) accompanies her to the CT scan, otherwise she won't go. What can you do in this situation- how would you respond?

:smile: Hope this helps a little bit.
Original post by PocketMerlin
Motivation:
- Why did you want to study Medicine? What led you to make the decision to apply to study Medicine?
- Why not a nurse? Why not an engineer? Why not biochemistry?
- What do you want to achieve in your medical career?
- What are the negative elements of a career in medicine? What are the positive elements of a career in medicine?
- From speaking with doctors on your work experience placement, what did you find out about the realities of a career in medicine?
- Why do some people graduate from medical school and then never practice medicine?
- What challenges do you think that you will face throughout your medical career and how will you deal with them?
- What are the differences between the challenges and responsibilities faced by a junior doctor (FY1 and FY2) and by a consultant?

Empathy:
- Are you an empathic person?
- Describe an experience with a patient on your work experience where you had to show empathy and demonstrate listening skills.
- How would you tell a patient that they had a seriously life threatening condition? What steps would you take to ensure that the patient was as comfortable as possible when telling them this information?
- Why do you think that patients can get angry and distressed whilst in hospital?
- It is 3AM. You are a junior doctor (FY2) on a night shift in the A&E department of a busy city hospital. A drunk gentleman in one of the bays (who has been screaming and shouting at the nurses since he arrived) pulls his cannula out, and threatens to harm the nurse attempting to calm him down. There is a 5 year old patient in the side room opposite, who seems incredibly distressed by the gentleman's behaviour. How do you respond?
- How would you make a patient feel less scared?
- How would you persuade a 7 year old (who insists that they hate needles and seem very afraid) to have an injection?
- You are an FY1 doctor. A patient with dementia is being treated on your ward. She has fallen, hitting her head on the way down, and there is bruising on the side of her face, so it is vitally important that she is sent for a CT scan as soon as possible. The patient is clearly confused, her personality has changed a bit after her fall and she is now quite volatile. The patient continues to insist that her husband (who has been dead for the past 10 years) accompanies her to the CT scan, otherwise she won't go. What can you do in this situation- how would you respond?

:smile: Hope this helps a little bit.
Wow!! cool thanks a lot :tongue:
Anyone here who has had an interview at Nottingham??? if so any advice or tips?

They love the topic of empathy and tend to ask the traditional medicine question such as "Why medicine" or "Why Nottingham" and "Why not nursing" etc. They tend to also give you an ethical scenario at the end as well :smile: Hope that helps, good luck! Also bear in mind my interview was two years ago so I don't know if they've changed they interview style since then.
Reply 1912
Anyone had an interview at Southampton?
Hi there!

What kind of questions do medical school asks....I've never been to a medical school interviews so wondering... :smile:
Original post by zhang599
They love the topic of empathy and tend to ask the traditional medicine question such as "Why medicine" or "Why Nottingham" and "Why not nursing" etc. They tend to also give you an ethical scenario at the end as well :smile: Hope that helps, good luck! Also bear in mind my interview was two years ago so I don't know if they've changed they interview style since then.

thank you !!!!! really appriciate it :smile:
thank you !!!!! really appriciate it :smile:

No problem :smile: Good luck with the interview! Also the higher years that show you round usually give you a few good pointers as well :smile:
No problem :smile: Good luck with the interview! Also the higher years that show you round usually give you a few good pointers as well :smile:
Im not sure if we are going to have the tour and chance to speak to current students before the interview?:confused: are you currently at Nottingham and thanks:smile:
Im not sure if we are going to have the tour and chance to speak to current students before the interview?:confused: are you currently at Nottingham and thanks:smile:

Oh :frown: Well we had a tour before the interview, maybe they've changed it. My interview was also in the afternoon. And no I'm not, I got an offer but I chose UCL :smile:
Oh :frown: Well we had a tour before the interview, maybe they've changed it. My interview was also in the afternoon. And no I'm not, I got an offer but I chose UCL :smile:

Oh btw what do you mean by pointers did they give you a lot of hints and explain the interview process to you, and what questions to expect??

Your interview will literally be 15 minutes long (timed) and cut in half between the ethical scenario and personal statement/typical med interview questions (expect the obvious). You will probably be offered water, and put at ease. Try to relax into it, the interviewers are really friendly. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending