The Student Room Group

The Biology AS-level Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Hype en Ecosse
No, no, no. That's how kidneys work!

Uber-filters, init. :wink:
Would anyone be so kind in giving me a general structure for a biology essay. I have them to write on Mass Transport in Animals and The Effect of Lifestyle on the heart/Biological basis of heart disease and I literally have no idea where to start with it, I know the knowledge but I don't know how to set it out or anything!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 722
Original post by hannapoole
Would anyone be so kind in giving me a general structure for a biology essay. I have them to write on Mass Transport in Animals and The Effect of Lifestyle on the heart/Biological basis of heart disease and I literally have no idea where to start with it, I know the knowledge but I don't know how to set it out or anything!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh dear,,,, your teacher seems to know sth...
Original post by ps1265A
I'm struggling to make sense of cohesion and tension, can someone help me out?

I understand cohesion (water molecules moving in a bulk due to the property of water to firm hydrogen bonding) but what EXACTLY is pressure?

my book keeps stating that transpiration leads to a negative pressure in the xylem which causes tension

Doesn't transportation increase the pressure in the xylem as a result of pressure created by root pressure? And what exactly do they mean by "tension"? The establishment of a water potential gradient?

You don't really need to know it, you just need to say it, if you know what I mean?
Reply 724
Original post by ps1265A

I understand cohesion (water molecules moving in a bulk due to the property of water to firm hydrogen bonding) but what EXACTLY is pressure?

my book keeps stating that transpiration leads to a negative pressure in the xylem which causes tension

Doesn't transportation increase the pressure in the xylem as a result of pressure created by root pressure? And what exactly do they mean by "tension"? The establishment of a water potential gradient?

Yes, transpiration leads to a negative pressure in the xylem; because when water evaporates from the stomata, the water is 'sucked' out by pressure to the atmosphere.
Tension= negative pressure.
Root pressure is a different idea. It is when the endodermis actively transport minerals and ions into the xylem so water moves in by osmosis (there is also a pressure as well)
Original post by ps1265A

If your book doesn't make sense and your teacher adds to the confusion watching some video explanations about it would surely help you understand and picture it. Maybe try YouTube - on my mobile so can't post a good link. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 726
I dont get how the EMPA is structured for Bio seen as we havent done a practise one in class yet:

For chemistry you dont usually get questions, you have to draw a table in task 1 & 2 and a graph sometimes

For physics you have to answer questions aswell as draw a table/graph sometimes

How does it work for Bio?
Original post by AhmedDavid
I dont get how the EMPA is structured for Bio seen as we havent done a practise one in class yet:

For chemistry you dont usually get questions, you have to draw a table in task 1 & 2 and a graph sometimes

The first task consist of HSW questions and some applications of the biology knowledge based on the main topic given by the AQA.
In the second task you do a table and a graph.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by JackTeh96
Oh dear,,,, your teacher seems to know sth...

Teacher has taught nothing towards them just sent us a lovely email once we had left for Easter asking us to have them done in the next two weeks!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 729
I dont get how the is structured for Bio seen as we havent done a practise one in class yet:

have you done the physics one??
Reply 730
have you done the physics one??

Nah not yet

Original post by Obliviate
The first task consist of HSW questions and some applications of the biology knowledge based on the main topic given by the AQA.
In the second task you do a table and a graph.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks & unfrotunately cant rep you
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 731
Nah not yet

Thanks & unfrotunately cant rep you

when r u doing it
Reply 732
when r u doing it

Task 1, 24th April

What about you?
Task 1, 24th April

What about you?

Oh. My college did it last week I think.
Original post by hannapoole

Not sure how the exam board want the essays structured for AS (perhaps look for some examples online?), but re: The Effect of Lifestyle on the Heart, you'd be wanting to look at something like this:

Introduction
What lifestyle factors affect the heart
How do they affect the heart
How does this lead to heart disease
Hi

Is there any questions on task 2 of the as bio empa? Or is it just the stats test???
Reply 736
I'm just a little confused about homologous chromosomes. In reference to 1 X shape that a chromosome makes, is this what we call a homologous pair? Or is it two of the X shapes that make a homologous pair.

Because when we look at meiosis, we see that it is two chromatids, one paternal and one maternal, that make up a chromosome
Original post by ps1265A
I'm just a little confused about homologous chromosomes. In reference to 1 X shape that a chromosome makes, is this what we call a homologous pair? Or is it two of the X shapes that make a homologous pair.

Because when we look at meiosis, we see that it is two chromatids, one paternal and one maternal, that make up a chromosome

Two X shapes make up a homologous pair.

Within each X shape, the two chromatids are identical copies of eachother.
Reply 738
image.jpg
Original post by Asklepios
Two X shapes make up a homologous pair.

Within each X shape, the two chromatids are identical copies of eachother.

If the homologous one are 2 X shapes, then why during meiosis do we end up with 4 separate chromatids in each of the gametes. I mean, the gametes will not all contain this same gene loci.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 739
Good idea!!!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending