The Student Room Group

GCSE Maths Surds question help please

Hi all,

I was going through a past paper in preparation for my Maths exams in May and I was wondering whether someone would be able to help me with a maths question that I found in an Edexcel Maths paper (Monday 6 June 2011, Linear 1380/3H).

I have attached screenshots of the actual question and the answer. Obviously, I can just read the answer, but I don't know how to arrive at that answer.

I know how to rationalise, and I am very comfortable with surds, familiar, etc., but I haven't been able to fathom this one.

Many thanks in advance!
Original post by londoncricket
Hi all,

I was going through a past paper in preparation for my Maths exams in May and I was wondering whether someone would be able to help me with a maths question that I found in an Edexcel Maths paper (Monday 6 June 2011, Linear 1380/3H).

I have attached screenshots of the actual question and the answer. Obviously, I can just read the answer, but I don't know how to arrive at that answer.

I know how to rationalise, and I am very comfortable with surds, familiar, etc., but I haven't been able to fathom this one.

Many thanks in advance!

picture218.jpg
I'm going to be incredibly embarrassed if I'm wrong..
Hi all,

Many thanks in advance!

8182×22=1=?\dfrac{8- \sqrt{18}}{\sqrt 2} \underbrace{\times \dfrac{\sqrt{2}}{\sqrt{2}}}_{= 1} = ?

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by majmuh24
8182×22=1= ?\dfrac{8- \sqrt{18}}{\sqrt 2} \underbrace{\times \dfrac{\sqrt{2}}{\sqrt{2}}}_{= 1} = \ ?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I thought full solutions were discouraged. :tongue:
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Zen-Ali
I thought full solutions were discouraged. :tongue:

I'm in maths mode today, I can't help it! :colone:

I'll delete the last bit though, can you change your quote as well :redface:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Original post by majmuh24
I'm in maths mode today, I can't help it! :colone:

I'll delete the last bit though, can you change your quote as well :redface:

Posted from TSR Mobile

[Indent]I was gonna drop some advice, but then you solo’d the thread. xD

Diggin’ tha underbrace. :sexface:[/Indent]
Original post by ILovePancakes
picture218.jpg

Hey! Great solution, but I just wanted to let you know that we discourage giving people the full solution to an answer straight away. People don't tend to learn very much that way, even though they feel like they might "get it". It's better to try to "egg on" the OP to try to help them get to the right answer on their own. :biggrin:

Loads of information about this here!
Original post by Hype en Ecosse
Hey! Great solution, but I just wanted to let you know that we discourage giving people the full solution to an answer straight away. People don't tend to learn very much that way, even though they feel like they might "get it". It's better to try to "egg on" the OP to try to help them get to the right answer on their own. :biggrin:

Loads of information about this here!

Oh dear.. I didn't realise :colondollar:

Do you want me to take it down?
Oh dear.. I didn't realise :colondollar:

Do you want me to take it down?

No, no. It's there now and OP will have likely seen it already. Might as well leave it, just this once. :wink:
Original post by Hype en Ecosse
No, no. It's there now and OP will have likely seen it already. Might as well leave it, just this once. :wink:

Haha, OK, thanks :biggrin:

I'll remember for next time :smile:
picture218.jpg

Thanks for that, I will work that through myself later!
Thanks for that, I will work that through myself later!

No problem :biggrin: do you get it now?
No problem :biggrin: do you get it now?

Absolutely!
Reply 13
firstly, denominators should not be in surd form. so multiply the both the numerator and denominator by the surd. so the root sign in the denominator is removed. then expand and solve to get the format they wanted a and b. just like how ilovePancakes did for you
Original post by kers123
firstly, denominators should not be in surd form. so multiply the both the numerator and denominator by the surd. so the root sign in the denominator is removed. then expand and solve to get the format they wanted a and b. just like how ilovePancakes did for you

Yes, thanks for that!
Reply 15
Yes, thanks for that!

welcome!

Quick Reply

Latest