The Student Room Group

AS History Edexcel

What is the best way to revise for AS History? There's far too much to learn = (
I'm doing Civil rights, Vietnam+Korea and for sources: suffragettes.
(edited 10 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by love2_read
What is the best way to revise for AS History? There's far too much to learn = (

I found the best way was to just write notes, look at past paper questions and bullet point what I'd need to include for that question. There is a lot of content though, it can be a bit of a struggle :redface:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by Changing Skies
I found the best way was to just write notes, look at past paper questions and bullet point what I'd need to include for that question. There is a lot of content though, it can be a bit of a struggle :redface:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I've been doing that, but it feels like it's not working :s-smilie:
I've been doing that, but it feels like it's not working :s-smilie:

It's okay :smile:

I know the feeling :redface: terrified about my A2 exam!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
It's okay :smile:

I know the feeling :redface: terrified about my A2 exam!

Posted from TSR Mobile

yh :confused:
Hopefully it all goes well :redface:
How's A2? better?
Good luck with the exams!
Same, I'm dreading it :frown:
yh :confused:
Hopefully it all goes well :redface:
How's A2? better?
Good luck with the exams!
Same, I'm dreading it :frown:

I'm sure you'll be absolutely fine, you've still got a month or so to prepare :biggrin:

It's better in the sense that there's only one exam and you do coursework (which is an easier way of pushing your grade up a bit). I find it fascinating :smile: do you think you'll carry history on to A2? Or are you waiting until results day to decide?

Thank you, good luck to you too :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
I'm sure you'll be absolutely fine, you've still got a month or so to prepare :biggrin:

It's better in the sense that there's only one exam and you do coursework (which is an easier way of pushing your grade up a bit). I find it fascinating :smile: do you think you'll carry history on to A2? Or are you waiting until results day to decide?

Thank you, good luck to you too :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile

oh yaaay, I LOVE coursework, if only there was coursework in AS :frown:
I want to do A2 history, but AS is putting me off :eek3:
What topics did you study in AS?

your welcome and Thanks :^_^:
oh yaaay, I LOVE coursework, if only there was coursework in AS :frown:
I want to do A2 history, but AS is putting me off :eek3:
What topics did you study in AS?

your welcome and Thanks :^_^:

So do I! I know :redface: aw that's understandable. I'd definitely recommend A2, but obviously it isn't for everyone :smile:
I did Russia in Revolution and Stalin's Russia for unit 1, and the Experience of Warfare in Britain for unit 2 :smile: what are you doing?

You're welcome :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
So do I! I know :redface: aw that's understandable. I'd definitely recommend A2, but obviously it isn't for everyone :smile: I did Russia in Revolution and Stalin's Russia for unit 1, and the Experience of Warfare in Britain for unit 2 :smile: what are you doing? You're welcome :biggrin: Posted from TSR Mobile

Yh, It's definitely on my list for A2 now. I think coursework make's all the difference :yes:
Those topics sound very interesting :smile: My topics have a bit of Russia in it.
I like History, but there's too much content :s-smilie:

Thanks for your advice, very helpful :yy:

Hey, I found breaking all the info into sections really helped, rather than looking at the content is one big block. Also, I know they're not for everyone but mind maps really helped me. And practice essays definitely! Even if you can't manage loads, jotting down ideas that you would write about really helps. Good luck! :biggrin:
Reply 10
I'm doing China 1900-49 and US involvement in Asia and Experiences of Warfare for Unit 2 and I'm absolutely bricking it! I have way too many notes and other resources to even know where to begin?! How do you start with revision??!
Reply 11
Original post by pink pineapple
Hey, I found breaking all the info into sections really helped, rather than looking at the content is one big block. Also, I know they're not for everyone but mind maps really helped me. And practice essays definitely! Even if you can't manage loads, jotting down ideas that you would write about really helps. Good luck! :biggrin:

Oh yh, mind-maps, I think I will try that.
I'm going to try a bit of everything. Nothing is sticking in my head :pinch:

Thank you! you too :smile:

Oh yh, mind-maps, I think I will try that.
I'm going to try a bit of everything. Nothing is sticking in my head :pinch:

Thank you! you too :smile:

Just keep going! Trying a bit of everything definitely works, then you can find which way works the best :smile:
I finished my A-levels last year but I do occasionally lurk around the A-level threads, trying to give some advice now and then :tongue:
Reply 13

Wow, I'm doing exactly this for History. I'm finding Civil Rights the hardest as there is SO much to cover but recently realised while revising that the Korea bit actually isn't that big and it is more the Vietnam part I need to focus on. I do think that if they ask a question on Korea, it may be easier though, so it is good to cover both quite well.

With Civil Rights, just memorise the book basically as you don't really need to do 'wider reading' for that. Just do lots of essays or even just planning essays can help.
The Women's section worries me though... Like section a) is quite easy if you have the exam technique right but section b) can be quite difficult and I need a lot of practise on this, haha.
Reply 14
Original post by phoebe17
I'm doing China 1900-49 and US involvement in Asia and Experiences of Warfare for Unit 2 and I'm absolutely bricking it! I have way too many notes and other resources to even know where to begin?! How do you start with revision??!

Yh, I feel the same. :frown:
There's always that, too many things and no idea where to start. :redface:
I started with Unit 1 and I'm gong to work my way through using the specification. Also, try what the other's have mentioned, so practice essays, notes, mind-maps etc.:smile:

Try different methods, then stick to the one you think is best =)
Good luck!
Reply 15
Original post by pink pineapple
Just keep going! Trying a bit of everything definitely works, then you can find which way works the best :smile:
I finished my A-levels last year but I do occasionally lurk around the A-level threads, trying to give some advice now and then :tongue:

Lucky, I wish I was you right now. Can't wait for A-levels to be over :redface:
Too much stress!

Aww, that's nice.
Reply 16
Original post by JennaK
Wow, I'm doing exactly this for History. I'm finding Civil Rights the hardest as there is SO much to cover but recently realised while revising that the Korea bit actually isn't that big and it is more the Vietnam part I need to focus on. I do think that if they ask a question on Korea, it may be easier though, so it is good to cover both quite well.

With Civil Rights, just memorise the book basically as you don't really need to do 'wider reading' for that. Just do lots of essays or even just planning essays can help.
The Women's section worries me though... Like section a) is quite easy if you have the exam technique right but section b) can be quite difficult and I need a lot of practise on this, haha.

Oooh, Yes. Finally someone doing this as well. :biggrin:
Yh, Civil Rights isn't that worrying. That's good, wish I was that confident for Korea and Vietnam. I keep mixing up the dates and names :confused:

Yh, I'm worried about the sources too, especially the 40 mark one :eek: yh I need to do alot of practice aswell!

What do you think will come up?

And Thanks! :smile:
Reply 17
Oooh, Yes. Finally someone doing this as well. :biggrin:
Yh, Civil Rights isn't that worrying. That's good, wish I was that confident for Korea and Vietnam. I keep mixing up the dates and names :confused:

Yh, I'm worried about the sources too, especially the 40 mark one :eek: yh I need to do alot of practice aswell!

What do you think will come up?

And Thanks! :smile:

Hmm, if you have that problem, it could be useful to make a timeline of events all in one place for each war. Personally, I like doing my notes using factors that could come up in a question. e.g. 'Why did the Vietnam war last so long?' as it would be the same factors you would use in a question like 'Was _____ the reason that the US were unable to win the Vietnam war?' But that's only because I struggle to organise my essays into clear points a lot of the time.

Yepp, sources are my weak point, especially when they are just pictures or something. Right now, I'm just trying to use the book to go through all the units again. Then, next week, I'll start actually trying to write essays or at least plan them.

Not too sure about what could come up though. Just going to go over everything in enough detail, just in case.

No problem! :biggrin:
Reply 18
Yh I've been trying timelines :smile: ooh that's a good technique, I'll try that too.

Yh, sources are difficult. I'm going to look at past paper questions and do some practice essays aswell. Hopefully that helps.

Yh, it's soo hard to predict what's going to come up. I'm trying to go over everything, but it's like brain overload 😁

Thanks again, ☺️
Good tips 👌

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 19
How do you structure a 40 mark essay?
I have no idea😳😔 Do we need a introduction?
I'm doing a question now, and I'm stuck. 'Do you agree with the view that WWI hindered, rather than helped, the cause of female suffrage?'

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest