The Student Room Group

history/politics a level

Choosing a levels soon - wondering whether to do politics or history?
My school does aqa history (tsarist and communist russia, and the making of modern britain) and edexcel politics (uk government and uk politics) and I was wondering which to choose.

I have heard the Russia course at a level history is one of the best topics (compared to studying other topics for history a level) however I have also heard it is extremely difficult and a lot of work.

I currently get top grades in GCSE edexcel history and really enjoy it, just wondering which to pick for a level.
Is politics a level easier /less workload?
If anyone has done these topics for a level please let me know which you would recommend choosing as Im really torn😭
Reply 1
Original post by user839292
My school does aqa history (tsarist and communist russia, and the making of modern britain) and edexcel politics (uk government and uk politics) and I was wondering which to choose.

I have heard the Russia course at a level history is one of the best topics (compared to studying other topics for history a level) however I have also heard it is extremely difficult and a lot of work.

I currently get top grades in GCSE edexcel history and really enjoy it, just wondering which to pick for a level.
If anyone has done these topics for a level please let me know which you would recommend choosing as Im really torn😭

As someone who has started both (with different exam boards) this year, I really enjoy them both. From what I have understood, politics is broader and covers more stuff. So far, history is harder- but i think if i was picking between the two i would pick history- just because it is a more respected subject by universities. Have you considered doing both, they compliment eachother really well???
Reply 2
Original post by TSRliv

As someone who has started both (with different exam boards) this year, I really enjoy them both. From what I have understood, politics is broader and covers more stuff. So far, history is harder- but i think if i was picking between the two i would pick history- just because it is a more respected subject by universities. Have you considered doing both, they compliment eachother really well???

hey, yea i was considering doing either rs or politics- still unsure 😭
Reply 3

I just dropped rs a level- hated it thought it was so boring and really different to gcse. so i would say politics def. i do classical civilisation instead and love it- its like a combination of rs, history of art, english lit and ancient history.
Reply 4
Original post by TSRliv

I just dropped rs a level- hated it thought it was so boring and really different to gcse. so i would say politics def. i do classical civilisation instead and love it- its like a combination of rs, history of art, english lit and ancient history.

yes definitely thinking of doing politics , im being put off rs 😭
Reply 5

wow you're in the exact same boat as me. i want to apply to an econ course (i think) at LSE so probs need maths, econ and further maths and as a result I don't want to add loads of pressure by taking history. I'm stuck between further maths, history (ocr- russia, british politics, france and napoleon), philosophy religion and ethics (aqa), gov + pol (aqa) and french (edexcel). my advice is: if you're doing respected hard subjects already, choose what you enjoy more / the easiest one. if you're doing less respected ones maybe pick history? idk, all three interest me and i'm in the same boat so i can't really help you but if it makes you feel better i'm having the exact same dilemma 😭 i'd say politics maybe goes better with econ, history goes well with english and maths, and rs goes well with psychology and sociology? hope this helped but idk because i'm very stuck on the same options too haha

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending