The Student Room Group

John Lennon vs Paul McCartney

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by yo radical one
PRSOM

Word up *****

None of these bands are notably better than any of today's popular chart artists

Honestly, I think people only listen to stuff like that to make themselves appear more deep and interesting

You want to dismiss Ray Davies of The Kinks? The man who wrote both about a nostalgia for an earlier England and an excitement for the emergent 60s scene?
His great songs weren't quite as numerous as some bands but even so he's got more to say about England than, say, the Kaiser Chiefs.

Now, 90s music on the other hand was also a highpoint. Pulp, for instance, were more personally affecting about the tragedies and hopes of individual lives.
Reply 61
Original post by Mackay
George Harrison.

Wonderful man. Such little attentions to detail in his songs and on occasion he loved an instantly memorable pop song as much as anyone.

Quite a realist (for a hippy), he had most in common with Lennon's mindset.

I maintain that George essentially invented indie with his song Think for yourself from Rubber Soul. If that wasn't enough, how about Taxman from Revolver. He was so precise about what his input was that he didn't even need to have that many songs of his own to make such an impact on The Beatles.
Reply 62
I LOVE John Legend…we're just ordinary peopleeeeeeeee
Reply 63
Original post by Sunny_Smiles
to be honest I was actually thinking really hard about whether I like lennon's song or mccartney's song last night so I made a list:
flying/blue jay way - harrison

Glad you mentioned Blue Jay Way. At the height of the Summer of Love George writes a song of such a mysterious, funereal, pace that it's as if he's forseeing that the hippy dream will soon be over. Which outlawing LSD and 70s glam rock tends to do.
Original post by Picnic1
You want to dismiss Ray Davies of The Kinks? The man who wrote both about a nostalgia for an earlier England and an excitement for the emergent 60s scene?
His great songs weren't quite as numerous as some bands but even so he's got more to say about England than, say, the Kaiser Chiefs.

Now, 90s music on the other hand was also a highpoint. Pulp, for instance, were more personally affecting about the tragedies and hopes of individual lives.

Another one of my ultimate favourites, Ray Davies. Legend. One of the greatest songwriters this Country has ever produced... The Kinks are my favourite second band, behind The Beatles of course, but I do think they were overshadowed by other artists of their time (Beatles, Stones, Who in particular).
Reply 65
Original post by Ordinary
I LOVE John Legend…we're just ordinary peopleeeeeeeee

You know this is a poll for John Lennon and Paul McCartney, not John Legend......? :tongue:

Original post by Picnic1
Wonderful man. Such little attentions to detail in his songs and on occasion he loved an instantly memorable pop song as much as anyone.

Quite a realist (for a hippy), he had most in common with Lennon's mindset.

I maintain that George essentially invented indie with his song Think for yourself from Rubber Soul. If that wasn't enough, how about Taxman from Revolver. He was so precise about what his input was that he didn't even need to have that many songs of his own to make such an impact on The Beatles.

George was great. I'm a big admirer of his (granted, I listen to much more Lennon post-Beatle work and McCartney/Wings). Some of his songs are just pure genius, and he introduced that whole Indian style of music into the beatles. And your last point is brilliant - completely agree. The fact that he could have such a huge impact with just 1 or 2 songs per album is phenomenal.
Reply 66
McCartney. Better singer and songwriter. Lennon is way overrated.
Reply 67
Original post by Roger1
McCartney. Better singer and songwriter. Lennon is way overrated.

I think lennon was great, but can't help but agree with some people who say that he has this god like status due to his death :/ I wonder if he would be held in the same regard as mccartney if he was still around.... Because there's no questioning mccartney was much more successful as a solo artist (or with wings) than lennon as a solo artist in the time period when both were musically active.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by SayNoToDupes
Lennon definitely, his solo work is better and he strived to write songs with meaning and ones that were personal to him while McCartney wanted to write and make commercial music that would sell.
Needless to say, The Beatles are undoubtedly one of the worlds best bands and the impact their music had on British Culture was immense.
Lennon was a class man and may he R.I..P

One of the best songs ever,

[video="youtube;4vSWHkxZgOI"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4vSWHkxZgOI[/video]

that song's not written by lennon... the original's much better.

that said, lennon >>> mcartney
Original post by ninuzu
I think lennon was great, but can't help but agree with some people who say that he has this god like status due to his death :/ I wonder if he would be held in the same regard as mccartney if he was still around.... Because there's no questioning mccartney was much more successful as a solo artist (or with wings) than lennon as a solo artist in the time period when both were musically active.

Lennon had become very part of New York and recorded Fame with David Bowie in 1975 in that city. He was friends with Andy Warhol too.

I think it's possible that, if he'd lived a bit longer, Lennon might have enjoyed being a bit of a yuppie in the 80s (not that someone in his position needed to be 'upwardly mobile'.) but I don't think that he would have seen it as being contrary to himself. Work with George Harrison might have happened. Indeed, I can imagine Lennon (who had some film roles) ending up with a cameo in some films by Handmade Films such as Monty Python's Meaning of Life.

Lennon's solo work such as Imagine and Power to the people is great and inspiring to the young. There is no way that Mull of Kintyre is better than that (although I have a soft spot for Live and let die and the unfairly attacked The Frog Chorus is ideal for its purpose).

Despite some Lennon / McCartney arguments between themselves later on (which perhaps should be mandatory for any great artists) the final Beatles songs polished up in 1994, Free as a Bird and Real Love, were John Lennon demos. Yet Paul , always the most devoted to The Beatles, agreed to recording them thus enhancing Lennon's legacy. Paul was even prepared to record a third song of John's but George Harrison had had enough of going back to old songs to make new Beatles songs.

I do think that some things were meant to pan out as they do as horrible as they might seem. John might have spent the last nearly 35 years in Heaven. Either way, to know that many people speak about him every day, listen to his songs, appreciate him as a cultural force, it's as if he can enjoy that even in his absence of being conscious to know it whether his spirit exists somewhere or not. And Jim Morrison.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 70
Original post by Picnic1
Lennon had become very part of New York and recorded Fame with David Bowie in 1975 in that city. He was friends with Andy Warhol too.

I think it's possible that, if he'd lived a bit longer, Lennon might have enjoyed being a bit of a yuppie in the 80s (not that someone in his position needed to be 'upwardly mobile'.) but I don't think that he would have seen it as being contrary to himself. Work with George Harrison might have happened. Indeed, I can imagine Lennon (who had some film roles) ending up with a cameo in some films by Handmade Films such as Monty Python's Meaning of Life.

Lennon's solo work such as Imagine and Power to the people is great and inspiring to the young. There is no way that Mull of Kintyre is better than that (although I have a soft spot for Live and let die and the unfairly attacked The Frog Chorus is ideal for its purpose).

Despite some Lennon / McCartney arguments between themselves later on (which perhaps should be mandatory for any great artists) the final Beatles songs polished up in 1994, Free as a Bird and Real Love, were John Lennon demos. Yet Paul , always the most devoted to The Beatles, agreed to recording them thus enhancing Lennon's legacy. Paul was even prepared to record a third song of John's but George Harrison had had enough of going back to old songs to make new Beatles songs.

I do think that some things were meant to pan out as they do as horrible as they might seem. John might have spent the last nearly 35 years in Heaven. Either way, to know that many people speak about him every day, listen to his songs, appreciate him as a cultural force, it's as if he can enjoy that even in his absence of being conscious to know it whether his spirit exists somewhere or not. And Jim Morrison.

From what I understand, Lennon and Harrison were initially quite close immediately after the split up. Didn't George play in Lennon's song that I hate to love How do you sleep?

But I do agree with Lennon's songs like imagine, working class hero etc being more inspiring but I think that's because Paul wrote songs that would chart well, whereas John would write songs from the heart with meaning. And yes! I've never understood some of the ridicule the frog chorus received! I like it, personally :colondollar: It's on Paul's All the best album so he clearly liked it :tongue: It suited its purpose well, as you said.

And yes - there's no doubt that both John and Paul (and the rest of the beatles) will forever be spoken about and adored on a daily basis. Their music is timeless - listen to ticket to ride for example. Sounds as fresh as any modern music and it's 49 years old! :biggrin:
tough one, they are both legends in their own right and I love their music, probably just give Lennon the edge cause McCartney is loopy thesedays lol
The one who's bigger than Jesus.
Reply 73
Original post by clh_hilary
The one who's bigger than Jesus.

So all of the beatles?
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by ninuzu
So all of the beatles?

I mean Taylor Swift One Direction.
Reply 75
I mean Taylor Swift One Direction.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/More_popular_than_Jesus

Yes, I know about that. The reason why I made my first comment in fact. John Lennon was a prophet and he meant 1D.
Reply 77
Yes, I know about that. The reason why I made my first comment in fact. John Lennon was a prophet and he meant 1D.

Riiiiiiighht :rolleyes:

Quick Reply

Latest