The Student Room Group

What puts an employer off hiring a 16-Year-Old?

Over the summer I've been trying to look for a part-time job, and obviously, it isn't as easy as I would expect, not only because there aren't a lot of vacancies nearby, but a lot of the jobs I applied to have just simply rejected my application, which I feel is even worse considering how I end up waiting nearly over a week for a response. I've obviously made my resume/CV which I upload, and I've put everything I can think of, including my work experience I did in Year 10, and explaining what skills I got out of it, and extracurriculars I do, such as being part of a music band and doing boxing.

Obviously, I know that most employers don't want to employ 16-Year-olds that will leave in September but I've clearly stated in my Summary that I want to find a part-time job to take on, even during school term.

If anyone has tips on how to further improve my resumer that would be greatly appreciated!
Original post by serterweryerper
Over the summer I've been trying to look for a part-time job, and obviously, it isn't as easy as I would expect, not only because there aren't a lot of vacancies nearby, but a lot of the jobs I applied to have just simply rejected my application, which I feel is even worse considering how I end up waiting nearly over a week for a response. I've obviously made my resume/CV which I upload, and I've put everything I can think of, including my work experience I did in Year 10, and explaining what skills I got out of it, and extracurriculars I do, such as being part of a music band and doing boxing.

Obviously, I know that most employers don't want to employ 16-Year-olds that will leave in September but I've clearly stated in my Summary that I want to find a part-time job to take on, even during school term.

If anyone has tips on how to further improve my resumer that would be greatly appreciated!

It's generally tough when you don't have relevant work experience or anything much to offer employers.

What I would strongly recommend doing is network your way into your first job e.g. do you know of a friend (or friends of friends) who know of a vacancy that you could apply for? Alternatively, you can try walking into certain companies that are a bit more flexible with their hiring process e.g. a number of small companies or large companies with a relatively big training budget. Preferred places include restuarants and hotels.

If you haven't gained your skills in a work environment, they aren't particularly considered skills unless it's something very technical that you need an education for e.g. engineering, medicine, etc.
Your extracurriculars are at best there to show that you're a well rounded applicant (unless it's something specifically relevant to the role e.g. personal investments when applying for investment management/analyst roles); they shouldn't take up the whole CV. If there aren't any awards you got from the activity, there's not that much to talk about.
If there isn't anything relevant to the role you're applying for, you generally don't need to include it on the CV.

The most that I would include on a relatively blank CV would be: Personal profile, Work experience (a couple of sentences maybe), Education (since you don't have work experience), any relevant Professional Certificates relevant to/recognised by the industry or role, any Awards, and possibly listing your Interests on a single line (prioritise the more relevant ones for the job than the others). I would then space things out to make it easier to read (do this with care and use common sense). If there's not much and it all can fit on 1 page, don't go and do 2 unless the employer specifically asks for it.
If the professional certificate is recognised and desired in the industry and it's relatively short (within a few weeks, or even a few hours) and cheap to do (e.g. less than £100, but nothing more than £1000), it's a little silly not to do them e.g. Hygiene Certificate for catering roles, low level Lifeguard certificates, CSCS cards.
Make sure the personal profile, professional certificates, and Interests are relevant and match the specific role you're looking to do. In an ideal world, your CV should be tailored to the specific role; in practice, have one for each type of employer or industry. Have the CV on the ready when you're out on the hunt, so when they ask for it you don't have to go back home to email them a copy.

Lack of experience puts employers off a bit, even in more entry level jobs. How about doing some volunteering (for example in a charity shop) to gain some experience while you are looking for jobs.
Original post by Emma:-)
Lack of experience puts employers off a bit, even in more entry level jobs. How about doing some volunteering (for example in a charity shop) to gain some experience while you are looking for jobs.

I've had a look at my local charity shops which are all after volunteers. The only problem is that they are volunteering which means I wouldn't get paid, which I would really like so I could sustain my own hobbies/sports. But thinking about volunteering again aside money, I think it would actually be beneficial, especially since I'm going to start doing the John Paul II award
Reply 4

There are also more hoops to jump through for the employer when it comes to 16 year olds. Its not really practical for them. I lucked out and got hired at 16 because they were specifically looking for 16 year olds (no clue why as we were experienced enough, especially for the type of work we did). One thing I would recommend is charity work! I volunteered at a charity shop for 2 months and although its not paid it speaks volumes about your personality at 16! You might find it harder applying for jobs until more vacancies open nearer to Christmas so it's worth a try and it honesty doesnt have to be a lot. Literally, you could do 2-4 hours a week (i did 4). It would really help your cv - both for job roles you want now at 16 all the way through to other jobs in the next few years. Id at least recommend it until you find a job :smile:
(edited 7 months ago)
Original post by 048243
There are also more hoops to jump through for the employer when it comes to 16 year olds. Its not really practical for them. I lucked out and got hired because they were specifically looking for 16 year olds (no clue why as we were experienced enough, especially for the type of work we did). One thing I would recommend is charity work! I volunteered at a charity shop for 2 months and although its not paid it speaks volumes about your personality at 16! You might find it harder applying for jobs until more vacancies open nearer to Christmas so it's worth a try and it honesty doesnt have to be a lot. Literally, you could do 2-4 hours a week (i did 4).

Thanks! I will look for some volunteering jobs soon either in charity shops or in my local parish since I'm starting the John Paul II award. I guess the best things about volunteering jobs are the greater flexibility (since I have to study more for my A-Levels), and I guess the feeling of doing something selfless since it would be for other people rather than for myself and money
I've had a look at my local charity shops which are all after volunteers. The only problem is that they are volunteering which means I wouldn't get paid, which I would really like so I could sustain my own hobbies/sports. But thinking about volunteering again aside money, I think it would actually be beneficial, especially since I'm going to start doing the John Paul II award

I know you wouldn't get paid, but at least it's some experience until you manage to get a job.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending