The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
times 2 by 9
Original post by fliss1992
times 2 by 9

Yes. Use the word 'multiply' rather than 'times'.
Here goes:

I have a question that I'm not sure of the answer, here is how I've worked it out and the answer I have..

x/9 = 2 (...)

Seriously?! to get out what a value x has, the only one what you have to do is to multiply by 9 on both sides of the equation...
Reply 43
times 2 by 9

That's correct (as MrM says, it gives a better impression if you use the term "multiply" rather than "times", but you have the right idea now!)

BTW if you click the Reply button at the bottom of a post when you respond to someone's post it will actually quote what that person said so they will know that you have replied to them :smile:
Original post by Kallisto
Seriously?! to get out what a value x has, the only one what you have to do is to multiply by 9 on both sides of the equation...

Fliss is new to algebra.
Original post by Mr M
Fliss is new to algebra.

Really? I didn't know it!

Can you read me, fliss1992? I want to explain you the most important rules in algebra as good as I can!

to solve a subtraction in algebra, you have to add on each side of the equation. Example: x - 2 = 3 => x = 5 after adding by 2

to solve an addition in algebra, you have to subtract on each side of the equation. Example: x + 7 = 14 => x = 7 after subtracting by 7

to solve a multiplication in algebra, you have to divide on each side of the equation. Example: x * 3 = 27 => x = 9 after dividing by 3

to solve a division in algebra, you have to multiply on each side of the equation. Example: x/5 = 50 => x = 250 after multiplying by 5
Original post by Mr M
People who attend Eton often go on to great success. The evidence is there if you look for it.

that's what happens when mummy and daddy can spend £40000 a year on their kids education i suppose :rolleyes:
Original post by lmorgan95
that's what happens when mummy and daddy can spend £40000 a year on their kids education i suppose :rolleyes:

That hadn't occurred to me. I assumed it was entirely due to the geography.
Original post by Mr M
That hadn't occurred to me. I assumed it was entirely due to the geography.

Nooo haha there's quite a stigma attached to eton in particular, there's a reason it churns out so many politicians and it's definitely not just because of it's location :tongue:
Original post by lmorgan95
Nooo haha there's quite a stigma attached to eton in particular, there's a reason it churns out so many politicians and it's definitely not just because of it's location :tongue:

Thanks for the explanation. I feel much better informed now.
Original post by Mr M
Thanks for the explanation. I feel much better informed now.

behave
Original post by TenOfThem
behave

Yes Miss.
Reply 52
Even though a lot of you have decided to go way of topic, thanks to all those who have helped :smile:
Even though a lot of you have decided to go way of topic, thanks to all those who have helped :smile:

That's me told off.

:frown:
Reply 54
Lol not telling anyone off :smile:
Reply 55
Here I have a question..

______ = 1

x^2 - 9

I'm guessing here ^^ that because it says subtract I need to do the opposite and do addition.

However, where do I begin on this one?

I have done several examples of the previous question, and managed to tackle it.
Here I have a question..

______ = 1

x^2 - 9

I'm guessing here ^^ that because it says subtract I need to do the opposite and do addition.

I have done several examples of the previous question, and managed to tackle it.

Division takes priority over subtraction and the opposite of division is multiplication.

You really shouldn't be trying to solve quadratic equations (even if they are as simple as this one) at this stage in your mathematical education.
Reply 57
Here I have a question..

______ = 1

x^2 - 9

Is this

72x29=1\displaystyle \dfrac{72}{x^2 - 9} = 1

In this case, there are several things going on:
the x is squared
9 is subtracted from that result
72 is divided by the result of the previous step

and this final result must be equal to 1.

When you see a complicated equation like this with a fraction involved, your first step is almost always to clear the fraction by multiplying by the denominator. What do you get if you do that?
Reply 58
72 multiplied by 9? 648

Or am I looking at the wrong calculation?
72 multiplied by 9? 648

Or am I looking at the wrong calculation?

This is too difficult for you right now and will just confuse you. Stick to Foundation Tier material until your skills have improved.

Latest