The Student Room Group

The Proof is Trivial!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by atsruser
Where is this coming from? I don't see how you know this unless you know how to evaluate the integral with a=1a=1 in the usual fashion.

That's exactly how you do know it.
Original post by james22
That's exactly how you do know it.

In that case, the dimensional analysis approach seems to be less useful than the standard approach, doesn't it? I'm not sure I see the point, apart from the fact that it's a slightly unusual application of the technique.
Original post by atsruser
In that case, the dimensional analysis approach seems to be less useful than the standard approach, doesn't it? I'm not sure I see the point, apart from the fact that it's a slightly unusual application of the technique.

I'm not sure if the standard approach works in the more general case though.
Original post by james22
I'm not sure if the standard approach works in the more general case though.

You mean for I=eax2dxI= \int_{-\infty}^\infty e^{-ax^2}dx? If so, yes. You can calculate I2I^2 as a double integral and convert to polars. It's only a change of variable from xaxx \rightarrow \sqrt{a}x, after all.
Hey guys,
new to this thread, but love maths. Hopefully I'll contribute a bit to discussion!
Continuing on from Arithmeticae's 469, Tarquin's one is 470 and jjpneed1's problems are 471 and 472 respectively.

Problem 473 **

Show that:

01x4(1x)20 dx=125(244)\displaystyle \int_{0}^{1} x^4 \left( 1 - x \right)^{20} \text{ d}x = \dfrac{1}{25 \binom{24}{4}}

Spoiler

(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Khallil
Continuing on from Arithmeticae's 469, Tarquin's one is 470 and jjpneed1's problems are 471 and 472 respectively.

Problem 473 **

Show that:

01x4(1x)20 dx=125(244)\displaystyle \int_{0}^{1} x^4 \left( 1 - x \right)^{20} \text{ d}x = \dfrac{1}{25 \binom{24}{4}}

Spoiler

Solution 473**

No need for any complicated functions. Note that, when integrating by parts, the extra terms are all 0 and teh 2 minus terms cancel so we get

01x4(1x)20 dx=4!21×22×23×2401(1x)24 dx=4!21×22×23×24×25=125(244)\displaystyle \int_{0}^{1} x^4 \left( 1 - x \right)^{20} \text{ d}x=\frac{4!}{21 \times 22 \times 23 \times 24}\displaystyle \int_{0}^{1} \left( 1 - x \right)^{24} \text{ d}x=\frac{4!}{21 \times 22 \times 23 \times 24 \times 25}=\dfrac{1}{25 \binom{24}{4}}
Original post by james22

I didn't think of integrating by parts but I think the solution to do with the Beta and Gamma functions is more elegant.

Edit: Somebody, use the Γ\Gamma hammer! :teeth:
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by khallil
continuing on from arithmeticae's 469, tarquin's one is 470 and jjpneed1's problems are 471 and 472 respectively.

problem 473 **

show that:

Spoiler

01x4(1x)20dx=B(5,21)=Γ(5)Γ(21)Γ(26)=4!20!25!=125(244)\displaystyle \int_0^1 x^4 (1-x)^{20} \, \mathrm d x = \mathrm B (5,21) = \frac {\Gamma (5) \Gamma (21)} {\Gamma (26)} = \frac {4! \, 20!} {25!} = \frac 1 {25 \binom {24} 4}
Original post by Khallil
I didn't think of integrating by parts but I think the solution to do with the Beta and Gamma functions is more elegant.

Edit: Somebody, use the Γ\Gamma hammer! :teeth:

Why use complicated functions when there is a perfectly good (and not even messy or long) elementary solution.
Original post by james22
Why use complicated functions when there is a perfectly good (and not even messy or long) elementary solution.

Because I said so.
Original post by Khallil
Why don't you add fractions, fam?

I can't do maths when tired.
That's pretty harsh Khallil I'm sure you've made those kinds of mistakes at some point :tongue: To be fair your problem isn't very interesting, in fact if the beta function was taught at A-level I'm sure I'd see it in exercise 1A

Fun one but fairly simple:

Problem 474 *

I can write any (positive) number as a sum of arbitrarily many (positive) real numbers, e.g. 16 = 10 + 6 = 3.4 + 6.6 + 6, etc. When is the product of all elements in this sum maximised?
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Khallil
when ur anoos quivers

I arrived at a similar answer. :—)

(Mine also quivered. :—))
Original post by jjpneed1
That's pretty harsh Khallil I'm sure you've made those kinds of mistakes at some point :tongue: To be fair your problem isn't very interesting, in fact if the beta function was taught at A-level I'm sure I'd see it in exercise 1A

Fun one but fairly simple:

Problem 474 *

I can write any (positive) number as a sum of arbitrarily many (positive) real numbers, e.g. 16 = 10 + 6 = 3.4 + 6.6 + 6, etc. When is the product of all elements in this sum maximised?

I can do this by Lagrange multipliers (assuming a finite sum, of course). That wouldn't be a (*) kind of question, though, so presumably there is a nicer way?
Original post by Smaug123
I can do this by Lagrange multipliers (assuming a finite sum, of course). That wouldn't be a (*) kind of question, though, so presumably there is a nicer way?

A very nice way. Though I would be interested to see how you do it with Lagrange multipliers as I initially tried that??

This was on a trinity admissions test by the way
Original post by jjpneed1
A very nice way. Though I would be interested to see how you do it with Lagrange multipliers as I initially tried that??

This was on a trinity admissions test by the way

Hmm. I can Lagrange-multipliers it down to "Maximise aia^i subject to a>0, i a natural number, ai=16a i = 16", anyway, because Lagrange multipliers on abca b c subject to a+b+c=16a+b+c=16 yields a=b=ca=b=c. Then the only problem is to find how many terms are in the sum.

That is, maximise (16i)i(\frac{16}{i})^i for integer i. Let's move to the more general xx as our sum (so x=16 above). Now, if i>x then we start raising something less than 1 to a high power, so that can't be a maximum. Our answer must therefore be less than x. Using i=1 gives us x straight off.

Suppose we'd found i. What would we know? We'd have that xii>xi+1i+1\frac{x}{i}^i > \frac{x}{i+1}^{i+1}, or 1ii>1i+1i+1x\frac{1}{i}^i > \frac{1}{i+1}^{i+1}x, or that x<i+1ii(i+1)x < \frac{i+1}{i}^i (i+1). That fraction term tends to ee from below as i increases; in particular, we need i+1>xei+1 > \frac{x}{e}, or i>xe1i > \frac{x}{e}-1. That suggests using i = roundup(x/e - 1).

How tight is this bound? Not sure. It is conceivable that the "fraction term tends to…" line makes the bound slacker than it needs to be.

Quick Reply

Latest