The Student Room Group

Who is the greatest sportsman ever?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by spotify95
Okay, thank you for the information.

Based on that information, I didn`t expect him to be on the list either, as (based on what we have said before) chess is not a sport.

Its no more a sport that GTA Online
Original post by TheAnusFiles
Its no more a sport that GTA Online

Which, if GTA is to be classed a sport, then literally every single computer game also qualifies for a sport.
Which, if one type of computer game is to be included, then all computer games across all platforms (e.g. Nintendo, Sony Playstation, Microsoft Xbox etc) qualify as "sports".

Hence, GTA Online, Chess etc are NOT Sports.
Original post by Kenan and Kel
Muhammad Ali probably isn't the greatest boxer ever but he is IMO the greatest sportsman ever because of his story.

Original post by Kutta
I think by far Muhammad Ali because he not only conqured his sport but also because of what he stood for!

We're talking about sport.
Original post by Wilfred Little
We're talking about sport.

Boxing is a sport, no? Picking a greatest sportsman isn't always as simple as just picking the person who's achieved the most in sport.

"I AM THE GREATEST"

Straight from the horse's mouth
Original post by Kenan and Kel
Boxing is a sport, no? Picking a greatest sportsman isn't always as simple as just picking the person who's achieved the most in sport.

If you're counting interviews on Parkinson or refusing to go to war then you're talking about things outside of sport.

Hence, GTA Online, Chess etc are NOT Sports.

Of course, but AFAIK no-one here is seriously arguing for their inclusion.
If you're counting interviews on Parkinson or refusing to go to war then you're talking about things outside of sport.

Sport has an impact on the wider world. It is perfectly reasonable to discuss an athlete's greater contribution and what they stood for, especially as comparing sports is well nigh impossible.
Original post by just a dad
Sport has an impact on the wider world. It is perfectly reasonable to discuss an athlete's greater contribution and what they stood for, especially as comparing sports is well nigh impossible.

Well in that case Beckham > Messi.
Well in that case Beckham > Messi.

You will have to remind me what major contribution DB has made to civil rights, gender equality, discrimination against disabilities etc.
Of course, but AFAIK no-one here is seriously arguing for their inclusion.

Exactly. It'd be humorous if they were included as sports, but then so too would the definition of a "sport".

Though I would still, just about, class darts as a sport as it is shown on TV - likewise with snooker.
How is Ayrton Senna not there
Exactly. It'd be humorous if they were included as sports, but then so too would the definition of a "sport".

Though I would still, just about, class darts as a sport as it is shown on TV - likewise with snooker.

Dancing is shown on TV ...

Although contact dancing sounds like it could be good fun!
Dancing is shown on TV ...

Although contact dancing sounds like it could be good fun!

Like Strictly Come Dancing, but that's more of a talent show, like XF, BGT etc.

If it's shown on the TV under BBC Sport, or ITV sport, or some sports channel, then it's a sport.
You will have to remind me what major contribution DB has made to civil rights, gender equality, discrimination against disabilities etc.

None, but why are those the only criteria? Becks was helpful in the GB bid for the Olympics which we won & was an idol/style icon through the 90's/early 00's.

In all honesty it's terrible criteria, you want to talk about contributions to civil rights go post in a Malcolm X thread or something. If we are talking about sportsmen, we should be discussing what they achieved in sport. Weird, I know.
Like Strictly Come Dancing, but that's more of a talent show, like XF, BGT etc.

If it's shown on the TV under BBC Sport, or ITV sport, or some sports channel, then it's a sport.

Wrestling? Greyhound racing?
A sport is not defined by it's TV channel.
Wrestling? Greyhound racing?
A sport is not defined by it's TV channel.

Wrestling? I'd say possibly.

Greyhound racing? Errm, no, but I haven't found a TV channel that shows that either.

I recommended that it had to be on a TV show, because things like football, darts, snooker etc are all shown under "BBC Sport" or "ITV Sport" in the programme - and it's that "Sport" that determines whether it is a sport or not.
The black guy that won some race in the Berlin Olympics during world war 2. Can't remember his name lol.
None, but why are those the only criteria? Becks was helpful in the GB bid for the Olympics which we won & was an idol/style icon through the 90's/early 00's.

In all honesty it's terrible criteria, you want to talk about contributions to civil rights go post in a Malcolm X thread or something. If we are talking about sportsmen, we should be discussing what they achieved in sport. Weird, I know.

Sigh.
Clearly the athletes identified were elite in their sports, as has already been discussed comparing Don Bradman with Bo Jackson is a futile exercise.
Still, if you think that the achievements of Jesse Owens, Jackie Robinson etc in this context are not worthy of discussion then good luck to you.
Original post by ChickenMadness
The black guy that won some race in the Berlin Olympics during world war 2. Can't remember his name lol.

Jesse Owens lol

Quick Reply

Latest