The Student Room Group

Is anyone watching the Rings of Power and genuinely liking it?

I've watched 3 episodes and I'm finished. I simply can't watch it anymore.

Regardless if you've watched the original trilogy, read the books or know of the lore, is anyone actually enjoying it?
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by Barbu
I've watched 3 episodes and I'm finished. I simply can't watch it anymore.

Regardless if you've watched the original trilogy, read the books or know of the lore, is anyone actually enjoying it?

I just watched episode 6 and it’s getting better

Not as good as HOTD though. I find with ROP I’m not really vested in the characters.
Reply 2
Original post by Miracle Day
I just watched episode 6 and it’s getting better

Not as good as HOTD though. I find with ROP I’m not really vested in the characters.

I find all the characters so damn bland!
Original post by Barbu
I find all the characters so damn bland!

Agreed, they’re not very likeable except for the brunette girl with the son and maybe the funny dwarf. I’ve not been able to remember many of their names. Galadriel is the protagonist and they have made her especially unlikeable.
Reply 4
Original post by Miracle Day
Agreed, they’re not very likeable except for the brunette girl with the son and maybe the funny dwarf. I’ve not been able to remember many of their names. Galadriel is the protagonist and they have made her especially unlikeable.

Nothing, and I repeat, nothing, of Galadriel from ROP resembles LOTR - apart from her hair and skin, I suppose?

Elrond and Isildur are ******* laughable.

Did you watch the original trilogy?
I gave it 3 hours but wasn't too impressed. If this was 1990 and we had seen Jackson's efforts then maybe but meh....I'm out.
Reply 6
The whole show is bland and nothing sticks in the memo.

I really don’t understand the choice of playing an elf who is a couple of thousand years old like a mid teens girl who is angry at her parents for not allowing her to get a second piercing in her ear.

Isildur is ridiculous and really don’t understand how he is meant to become the greatest of kings.

The cgi is absolutely atrocious considering Amazon have spent a billion on the show.

Could really do with Theo dying as the kid ****es me off no end, just cannot act.
I'm enjoying it more as it goes on. It isn't the greatest thing I've ever seen, but I'll carry on watching.

It's got a lot of the same problems that other series/movies have had trying to work around things they don't have the rights to use - it tends to be very obvious and rather grating to viewers who are familiar with the whole of canon and don't draw mental distinctions between which source it comes from.
They are competing directly with HotD which has a more experienced overall production, and they already know what their fans like (and don't). So Rings would have to do something amazing to not come off second best.

However, Amazon should do better than they have. It isn't terrible, but nor is it compelling. And there are quite a few irritating things. Why do the orcs only give themselves half an hour before sunrise to ransack a village, why was there that "Dey terk er jerbs" scene, why do people just yank on random ropes to be 'doing something' when on ships or rafts, and why are the dwarves being used as comic relief?

I'm not fussed about the cast not being all-white, but it is a little hard to ignore if you're setting up a literal race war, and insulting people because of physical characteristics such as the shape of their ears.

I'll try to stick it out, as I'm hoping the cast develop better chemistry and the random crowd scenes (such as "Dey terk er jerbs" and everyone wandering around after defending the village but suddenly listening in on the main conversation and rushing to get a tankard each) get made more believable and incorporated better.

The Harfoots and Stranger is a good plotline. We're learning about their community dealing with their struggles while also learning about the clearly important guy who fell from the sky. I did think it a bit strange that they were so horrified about him killing the fireflies when they eat snails, but I can accept that they are okay with killing for food but not for fun.
Reply 9
I'm ******* done. Celeborn is DEAD???? This really is just fan fiction. How dare anyone say the Rings of Power is an adaptation of Tolkien's works... ******* ludicrous. He died because his armor didn't fit him :lol: :toofunny:
imo they should just do a proper live action version of the middle earth games
i've been watching bits of it and quite enjoyed it but haven't watched it properly all the way through
When you think of the astronomical amount they have spent producing it they must be very disappointed in the reception it's been getting
Reply 13
Original post by Ray Bradbury
When you think of the astronomical amount they have spent producing it they must be very disappointed in the reception it's been getting

Yup. Especially with the hot takes of calling critics "patently evil".
I watched all of it (what's come out anyways), and I loved it, couldn't have been better
(opinion of 15y/o guy in UK)
Original post by Ray Bradbury

Indeed, it deserves to get more attention, unfortunately, more and more people in the world aren't interested anymore
Reply 16
What I don't understand is how did the most expensive television programme in history end up looking so cheap?

Quick Reply

Latest