The Student Room Group

Is a world cup medal needed to be considered one of the best of all time ?

On BBC all the pundits saying that messi can't be considered one of the best of all time till he wins a world cup. For me this is complete rubbish, as it is so dependent upon what nationality you play for and how good your international team mates are. For me Messi winning 4 balon dor's in a row is enough to be in that list of the worlds greatest of all time. People may argue that barcelona make messi look better than he is? did Pele not play in arguably one of best international teams of all time?

What do you guys think then, is a world cup medal needed to be in the list of the greatest of all time?

Scroll to see replies

Nah. Source - Cruyff, Messi

Plus Torres has a WC, the World Cup just emphasises football is a team game
Reply 2
Of course not! Maradona never won a European Cup and he's obviously considered one of the greatest to ever grace the sport. You can't always be expected to carry a team to glory - especially if you only get 3-4 chances to do it in a lifetime. Messi, along with Ronaldo, is up there with Zidane, Pele, Maradona, Eusebio, etc,.
Only if you are the special kind of idiot that gets invited onto TV to share your vast and in depth knowledge that no one in the game wants or needs...
Benekidt Howedes has a WC medal,
Does that make gim better than Ayala & Walter Samuel?
No. Like someone said in another thread, Messi could have played for Spain and won it. Would choosing them over his home country made him a better player?
Reply 6
Messi is 27, he has more time at club level to show his credentials for the title of best ever. I don't think he'll ever win a WC unfortunately, not meant to be. And this vomiting problem he has seems quite ominous.
Reply 7
Original post by Caedus
Of course not! Maradona never won a European Cup and he's obviously considered one of the greatest to ever grace the sport. You can't always be expected to carry a team to glory - especially if you only get 3-4 chances to do it in a lifetime. Messi, along with Ronaldo, is up there with Zidane, Pele, Maradona, Eusebio, etc,.

Out of choice. He chose to play for Napoli when he could have gone to any club in the world. And imo he has the leadership and mean spirited tenacity that Messi lacks, he really slightly edges it for me still.
Players are judged by their stats as well Messi's stats outbeat everybody's. Messi got Argentina to the WC don't forget. You're basically saying that if Palacio would have scored Messi is then considered on Maradona's level? Doesn't make sense, Messi is the best player i've ever seen. Pele also played his whole career in Brazil so how can he be considered a great? Maradona never won the UCL either. Messi has 3 UCL's and has scored in two UCL finals.
Nope. What about C Ronaldo? You're telling me they can't be considered the best because their teams weren't overall the best?
Reply 10
Original post by C.Almasy
Out of choice. He chose to play for Napoli when he could have gone to any club in the world. And imo he has the leadership and mean spirited tenacity that Messi lacks, he really slightly edges it for me still.

I'm not arguing Maradona's credentials as I personally think he's the best player ever to live. There is, however, too many factors to consider when deciding who's the greatest football player ever; I just don't believe that World Cup is enough to tip the balance.
Reply 11
Original post by CryptoidAlien
Players are judged by their stats as well Messi's stats outbeat everybody's. Messi got Argentina to the WC don't forget. You're basically saying that if Palacio would have scored Messi is then considered on Maradona's level? Doesn't make sense, Messi is the best player i've ever seen. Pele also played his whole career in Brazil so how can he be considered a great? Maradona never won the UCL either. Messi has 3 UCL's and has scored in two UCL finals.

Any real football fan will tell you that Pele's is one of the most shameless self promoters of all time, and overexaggerates his own talents when the team he was in was great. Maradona is above Pele, and in my mind, above Messi after the evidence of this tournament.

Also keep in mind, Maradona played on terrible pitches, with higher standards of defensive play, and also with way more lenient (and therefore dangerous) refereeing on tackles. He was really hacked at by the opposition back in those days.
I think club performances are more important than international ones tbh. To be considered the best you have to perform at international level as well but i wouln't say you need a world cup medal. I think messi will go down as one of the worlds greatest tbh.
Original post by Horny Cabbage
On BBC all the pundits saying that messi can't be considered one of the best of all time till he wins a world cup.

That just sums them up though and why I never bother listening. Also, Alfredo Di Stefano never won the World Cup. Never hurt his legacy.
Original post by Horny Cabbage
On BBC all the pundits saying that messi can't be considered one of the best of all time till he wins a world cup. For me this is complete rubbish, as it is so dependent upon what nationality you play for and how good your international team mates are. For me Messi winning 4 balon dor's in a row is enough to be in that list of the worlds greatest of all time. People may argue that barcelona make messi look better than he is? did Pele not play in arguably one of best international teams of all time?

What do you guys think then, is a world cup medal needed to be in the list of the greatest of all time?

Nah, definitely not. It makes no logical sense, since it's so dependent on the quality of your country's team.
Reply 15
Original post by Caedus
I'm not arguing Maradona's credentials as I personally think he's the best player ever to live. There is, however, too many factors to consider when deciding who's the greatest football player ever; I just don't believe that World Cup is enough to tip the balance.

No, it is not, of course. But, what we can use to decide to tip the balance is how Maradona and Messi reacted in high pressure situations. Maradona was a street footballer, a fighter, a leader that went beyond the football pitch and into the politics of the time. He was a much stronger "spirit" than Messi was if that makes sense. Imo, that spirit and fight counts as a quality and something which tips the balance. Maradona was bigger than football.
Reply 16
Original post by C.Almasy
No, it is not, of course. But, what we can use to decide to tip the balance is how Maradona and Messi reacted in high pressure situations. Maradona was a street footballer, a fighter, a leader that went beyond the football pitch and into the politics of the time. He was a much stronger "spirit" than Messi was if that makes sense. Imo, that spirit and fight counts as a quality and something which tips the balance. Maradona was bigger than football.

From what little I've seen of him I can agree that Maradona, out of the two of them, is a better football player in the raw. Looking purely from a skill perspective, it's hard to say who has the upper hand, but I'd be tempted to say Messi.
(edited 9 years ago)
Cruyff didn't; Zidane won one and fluffed the 2006 one
Reply 18
Messi is the best player of all time. Better than Pele. Better than Maradonna. World Cup is meaningless. Cristiano Ronaldo is an amazing player and along with Messi he's the joint best player of all time as well. Football is really amazing now, we have the 2 best players of all time in their prime.
Original post by Stinkum
Messi is the best player of all time. Better than Pele. Better than Maradonna. World Cup is meaningless. Cristiano Ronaldo is an amazing player and along with Messi he's the joint best player of all time as well. Football is really amazing now, we have the 2 best players of all time in their prime.

LOL

bipolar?

Quick Reply

Latest