The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by bryan966
Solve the equation 2cosx + 5sinx= 4 by expressing in the form r cos(2x+a)
* (x is actually theta and a is actually alpha)

I don't know how to start this question. Would definitely be grateful if someone could help me :biggrin: Thanks

Do you mean rcos(2x + a) or rcos(x + a) ?
Reply 2
Original post by davros
Do you mean rcos(2x + a) or rcos(x + a) ?

rcos(2x+a), if it was the latter I would probably have done it with no problem. So yeah
Reply 3
rcos(2x+a), if it was the latter I would probably have done it with no problem. So yeah

Sorry, it's got to be a misprint unless I'm missing the blindingly obvious (always possible as my sleep has been disrupted by the storms for 2 nights running!!)
Reply 4
Original post by davros
Sorry, it's got to be a misprint unless I'm missing the blindingly obvious (always possible as my sleep has been disrupted by the storms for 2 nights running!!)

My sleep has also been disturbed (by bullet chess addiction) but I agree. Definitely a misprint.
Reply 5
Hmmm. Because originally, the question asked us to solve it by expressing it in the form of r cos(x+a). I did that, then the next question was the one I posted. Hahha, if it's a misprint then I'm burning the book... Thank you though :biggrin:
Reply 6
Hmmm. Because originally, the question asked us to solve it by expressing it in the form of r cos(x+a). I did that, then the next question was the one I posted. Hahha, if it's a misprint then I'm burning the book... Thank you though :biggrin:

Any chance you can scan / photograph the page containing the two successive questions and upload?

No worries if you can't!
Reply 7
Original post by davros
Any chance you can scan / photograph the page containing the two successive questions and upload?

No worries if you can't!

Here you go :biggrin:
It's question number 5.
And thank you so very much
It's question number 5.

Hey, do you have the answers to it? :smile:
Reply 9
Original post by Ollie_Brown
Hey, do you have the answers to it? :smile:

Well, this is kinda funny... There is no answer:confused:
I'm pretty confused hhahaha. I assumed its the same answer from question number 4 which are 26'10', 110'14'. Sorry if this doesn't make sense.
But anyway, did you solve it?
Well, this is kinda funny... There is no answer:confused:
I'm pretty confused hhahaha. I assumed its the same answer from question number 4 which are 26'10', 110'14'. Sorry if this doesn't make sense.
But anyway, did you solve it?

I'm a bit rusty. I got 110 and 26 from 4a) where do the others come from again? And I'm still having a go at it, I can't remember doing anything like that this year.
Well theta doesn't equal x. Theta's represents any angle.
That means you can solve it as usual letting 2x=theta and find values within double the range they give you: Rcos(2x+a)=Rcos(theta+a)
Then divide by 2 to find x. If that makes sense.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 12
Yeah. I got that that too. It's number 5 that's making me wanna kill myself haha. Thank you :smile:
Reply 13
Original post by cerlohee
Well theta doesn't equal x. Theta's represents any angle.
That means you can solve it as usual letting 2x=theta and find values within double the range they give you: Rcos(2x+a)=Rcos(theta+a)
Then divide by 2 to find x. If that makes sense.

Hmmmm. Have you seen the attachment in one of the posts above that I posted? See question number 4 then 5. What I meant was rcos(2theta + a), I wrote x coz I didn't know how to type the theta symbol. I'm sorry if I'm the one who's confused.
Reply 14
It's question number 5.

I'm flummoxed I'm afraid - I can't see any way in which using 2x + a makes the equations easier, or even solvable!

The later question where it asks you to use cos(2x+a) makes more sense because you've got a cos^2 x term and a sinxcosx term so you can convert these to cos2x and sin2x and then rearrange.

I can only think question 5 is some sort of aberration on the part of the author unless your teacher has any ideas (or have you broken up now?).
How do you find r and a for the question you know how to do?

A cosx - B sinx = r cos(x + a)

Well, if we want to derive the formula, or show every single step, then you would start by expanding the cosine.

... = r cosx cosa - r sinx sina

Matching the coefficients of like terms gives A = r cosa and B = r sina

Then, by drawing the the right triangle with angle a and hypotenuse r, we find that a = arctan(B/A) and r = sqrt(A^2 + B^2).

Analogously, we probably want to solve this by expanding cos(2x + a). Then, judging by the instructions from problem 1...

Tell me if everything works out.
Reply 16
Original post by davros
I'm flummoxed I'm afraid - I can't see any way in which using 2x + a makes the equations easier, or even solvable!

The later question where it asks you to use cos(2x+a) makes more sense because you've got a cos^2 x term and a sinxcosx term so you can convert these to cos2x and sin2x and then rearrange.

I can only think question 5 is some sort of aberration on the part of the author unless your teacher has any ideas (or have you broken up now?).

Well, I won't be seeing my teacher until next week so asking him would take time. Thanks for helping me clear up on question 7 haha!
Back to q.5, I'm asking my mom's colleague to try and help me solve it :biggrin:
If she couldn't do it, then yeah maybe you're right. Thank you so so much
Reply 17
Original post by aznkid66

Well, if we want to derive the formula, or show every single step, then you would start by expanding the cosine.

Then, by drawing the the right triangle with angle a and hypotenuse r, we find that a = arctan(B/A) and r = sqrt(A^2 + B^2).

Analogously, we probably want to solve this by expanding cos(2x + a). Then, judging by the instructions from problem 1...

Thanks, will try :biggrin:
Reply 18
Original post by aznkid66

I think we can see that - but what are you going to equate the cos2x to or the sin2x? It doesn't seem obvious where the question is leading unless we're all missing something!
Reply 19
Original post by davros
I think we can see that - but what are you going to equate the cos2x to or the sin2x? It doesn't seem obvious where the question is leading unless we're all missing something!

Hey there. This is what my mom's colleague got. I'm a bit confused whether is a valid solution. A lil warning tho, it takes time to know which part comes first. Cheers

Latest