The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Masumah125
start a new anime:biggrin:

Anything I start now will be a disappointment after watching HNI.
Original post by Kenan and Kel

then don't do anything. don't talk. don't type. don't breathe.
unless you wanna watch it again
Original post by Kenan and Kel

Does this include the sequel New Challenger and so on? :tongue:
Original post by Keoje
Does this include the sequel New Challenger and so on? :tongue:

Yeah. TBH, I was disappointed by New Challenger and Rising too. Still, I'm too invested in the characters to not find it great overall.
I'm really loving this summer season :smile:

Rankings -
Space Dandy
Jojo~~~
Zankyou no Terror
Tokyo Ghoul
Barakamon
Aldnoah.Zero
Haikyuu!!
Gekkan Shoujo Nozaki-kun
Sailor Moon: Crystal
Baby Steps
Ao Haru Ride
Glasslip

And~ Kamisama Hajimema****a <3 <3
Reply 7625
I've been meaning to post as it's been nearly a fortnight. I'm tending to lurk a lot more these days. :redface:

I'm very pleased that people have found the Beginner's Guide useful, particularly the recommendations at the bottom of the thread. I made a small update to the list a few months ago to make it more current, and I'll probably review the content of the entire guide at some point. :smile:

In terms of viewing habits, for a very long time, I used to watch practically everything that aired each season, barring anime targeted for children (even then, I would occasionally make an exception). Accordingly, I would typically watch 30 to 40 anime series on the go. Nowadays, due to time constraints throughout the week, this has drastically reduced. I'm normally watching around 10 to 15, give or take. This largely happens during the weekend where I watch all of my weeklies in one or two sittings. In a way, I'm starting to prefer this as it means I have something to look forward to every weekend. :tongue:

As far as what's standing out for me, Zankyou no Terror and Barakamon are ticking all of the right boxes. Akame ga Kill dipped somewhat in my estimation until the most recent episode. I'd say it's now on par with Tokyo Ghoul, which is continuing to deliver.

Aside from these, Aldnoah Zero still has potential, but I'm not connecting to the characters all that much. Hopefully, that'll change in time. SAO 2 is enjoyable to watch and remains one of the series I anticipate the most, along with Mahouka, largely because of the overpowered protagonists. :tongue:

I'm struggling to maintain my interest in Fate/Kaleid liner Prisma Illya 2wei! because, unlike its first season, the plot has not really progressed all that much. I'm finding myself even considering skipping it from time to time, which is not a good sign. Similarly, Shirogane no Ishi Argevollen is not really clicking with me. It'll probably serve better as an anime I'll marathon once it finishes.

Lastly, my guilty pleasure of the season is, without a doubt, Seirei Tsukai no Blade Dance. It's beyond generic, but I'm finding myself happily opting to watch this. In fact, it's the only anime episode I've seen this week so far. :tongue:

Baby Steps is really underrated. The main character is not an Ippo or Goro type, rather he has a methodical and conscientious approach to the sport that's rather refreshing. The anime has taken a while to pick up, but I'm already warming to the lead and the supporting characters. I can see this becoming something quite special if it takes the right direction.

Lastly, the only long running series I'm following is One Piece, which is enjoyable (nothing new there). On the other hand, I've kind of given up on Naruto Shippuden. I'll probably resume it eventually. I really want to start watching the remake of Hunter x Hunter because I've heard really good things about the new material. My only reluctance, given my lack of time, is having to watch over a hundred episodes just to get to that point. I've seen the first anime adaptation, so I suppose I could skip to the end of that, but that doesn't sit too well with me. :sadnod:
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Aiko
I've been meaning to post as it's been nearly a fortnight. I'm tending to lurk a lot more these days. :redface:

I'm very pleased that people have found the Beginner's Guide useful, particularly the recommendations at the bottom of the thread. I made a small update to the list a few months ago to make it more current, and I'll probably review the content of the entire guide at some point. :smile:

In terms of viewing habits, for a very long time, I used to watch practically everything that aired each season, barring anime targeted for children (even then, I would occasionally make an exception). Accordingly, I would typically watch 30 to 40 anime series on the go. Nowadays, due to time constraints throughout the week, this has drastically reduced. I'm normally watching around 10 to 15, give or take. This largely happens during the weekend where I watch all of my weeklies in one or two sittings. In a way, I'm starting to prefer this as it means I have something to look forward to every weekend. :tongue:

As far as what's standing out for me, Zankyou no Terror and Barakamon are ticking all of the right boxes. Akame ga Kill dipped somewhat in my estimation until the most recent episode. I'd say it's now on par with Tokyo Ghoul, which is continuing to deliver.

Aside from these, Aldnoah Zero still has potential, but I'm not connecting to the characters all that much. Hopefully, that'll change in time. SAO 2 is enjoyable to watch and remains one of the series I anticipate the most, along with Mahouka, largely because of the overpowered protagonists. :tongue:

I'm struggling to maintain my interest in Fate/Kaleid liner Prisma Illya 2wei! because, unlike its first season, the plot has not really progressed all that much. I'm finding myself even considering skipping it from time to time, which is not a good sign. Similarly, Shirogane no Ishi Argevollen is not really clicking with me. It'll probably serve better as an anime I'll marathon once it finishes.

Lastly, my guilty pleasure of the season is, without a doubt, Seirei Tsukai no Blade Dance. It's beyond generic, but I'm finding myself happily opting to watch this. In fact, it's the only anime episode I've seen this week so far. :tongue:

Baby Steps is really underrated. The main character is not an Ippo or Goro type, rather he has a methodical and conscientious approach to the sport that's rather refreshing. The anime overall is rather understated and arguably takes a while to pick up, but I'm already warming to the lead and the supporting characters. I can see this becoming something quite special if it takes the right direction.

Lastly, the only long running series I'm following is One Piece, which is enjoyable (nothing new there). On the other hand, I've kind of given up on Naruto Shippuden. I'll probably resume it eventually. I really want to start watching the remake of Hunter x Hunter because I've heard really good things about the new material. My only reluctance, given my lack of time, is having to watch over a hundred episodes just to get to that point. I've seen the first anime adaptation, so I suppose I could skip to the end of that, but that doesn't sit too well with me. :sadnod:

damn thats long
Reply 7627
Original post by Masumah125
damn thats long

Aha, I post once every two weeks or so. Might as well make the most of it. :giggle:
The first episode of Seirei Tsukai no Blade Dance was TERRIBLE. But with that, I've finally watched all the (non short, non-sequel) first eps of the season. I'll be keeping Nobunaga Concerto on though, two episodes in and I'm liking it a lot so far. :biggrin:

I'm still looking to pick up one more Summer anime, though, and since my call for recommendations went unanswered (thanks everyone :p:), I'll revisit pretty much everything. Gave up on Jinsei before I was even half-way through the second ep - would probably have given up on life if I'd watched any more. Majimoji Rurumo is frustrating - I'd pick it up in an instant if it wasn't for all the annoying fanservice. Sabagebu!... the characters and style of comedy are starting to grow on me, but it's nothing special. Space Dandy is Space Dandy.

[EDIT] Didn't see your post Aiko, give me a minute (or ten) to read it. :giggle:
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 7629
Original post by AngryJellyfish
The first episode of Seirei Tsukai no Blade Dance was TERRIBLE. But with that, I've finally watched all the (non short, non-sequel) first eps of the season. I'll be keeping Nobunaga Concerto on though, two episodes in and I'm liking it a lot so far. :biggrin:

In fairness, Seirei Tsukai no Blade Dance does improve slightly after the first episode. Specifically, I think you'll warm to the character Est. :tongue:

I'm still looking to pick up one more Summer anime, though, and since my call for recommendations went unanswered (thanks everyone :p:), I'll revisit pretty much everything. Gave up on Jinsei before I was even half-way through the second ep - would probably have given up on life if I'd watched any more. Majimoji Rurumo is frustrating - I'd pick it up in an instant if it wasn't for all the annoying fanservice. Sabagebu!... the characters and style of comedy are starting to grow on me, but it's nothing special. Space Dandy is Space Dandy.

You're already watching everything I am and then some. :yes:

[EDIT] Didn't see your post Aiko, give me a minute (or ten) to read it. :giggle:

Haha, no problem.

I actually forgot to mention Toyko ESP, which isn't that bad. I really like the female protagonist and the powers all of the characters possess. It's very X-Men. Now that the foundations have been laid, so to speak, I'm quietly optimistic that we'll get something fairly solid.
Original post by Aiko
Aha, I post once every two weeks or so. Might as well make the most of it. :giggle:

Are you going to be doing those amazing identify anime games any time soon?
Reply 7631
Original post by Dilzo999

Haha, glad you liked them. Hmm, possibly. Although, if I'm honest, I was hoping AJ would find the time to put something together so I could participate *hint hint*. :redface: :tongue:
Original post by Aiko
I really want to start watching the remake of Hunter x Hunter because I've heard really good things about the new material. My only reluctance, given my lack of time, is having to watch over a hundred episodes just to get to that point. I've seen the first anime adaptation, so I suppose I could skip to the end of that, but that doesn't sit too well with me. :sadnod:

Only 75 episodes, actually. Or 44, if you haven't seen the OVAs :yes: It really speeds through the early arcs, but despite that, it still made sense and felt well-paced to me, someone who hasn't watched the first series or read the manga.

Either way, I'd highly recommend watching the new material, even if you choose not to bother recapping with the early episodes. I'm considering putting it into my Top 50, and that's almost entirely down to the Chimera Ant arc (though Yorkshin and Heavens Arena were great too).

You're already watching everything I am and then some. :yes:

I figured that was probably the case for most people. I seem to be getting better at identifying bad shows from their first episode alone. :p:

In fairness, Seirei Tsukai no Blade Dance does improve slightly after the first episode. Specifically, I think you'll warm to the character Est. :tongue:

...meh, alright, I'll give it another chance. Can't be worse than Jinsei. :afraid:
Under the Dog is 25% funded. :biggrin: I really hope the momentum keeps up for this. :puppyeyes:

Original post by Dilzo999

Original post by Aiko
Haha, glad you liked them. Hmm, possibly. Although, if I'm honest, I was hoping AJ would find the time to put something together so I could participate *hint hint*. :redface: :tongue:

I've been thinking about doing so for a while. It'd be nice, considering how active it's been in this thread recently. :smile: Unfortunately, I'm quite busy for the next two weeks (family visiting, annual trip to Reading etc). I'll see what I can do in late August/early September. :yes:
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 7634
Only 75 episodes, actually. Or 44, if you haven't seen the OVAs :yes: It really speeds through the early arcs, but despite that, it still made sense and felt well-paced to me, someone who hasn't watched the first series or read the manga.

Either way, I'd highly recommend watching the new material, even if you choose not to bother recapping with the early episodes. I'm considering putting it into my Top 50, and that's almost entirely down to the Chimera Ant arc (though Yorkshin and Heavens Arena were great too).

Yes, I've seen the OVAs too. I guess I'll watch the whole thing. I've taken the last week of this month off simply because I have annual leave to use at my workplace, so that'll be the best time to plow through all of this. I could do with a refresher, anyway. I saw the first anime adaptation when it aired. :tongue:

I figured that was probably the case for most people. I seem to be getting better at identifying bad shows from their first episode alone. :p:

I usually find enjoyment in even the worst of anime. It's simply a case of time that I have to be a bit more picky, even though anime like Seirei Tsukai no Blade Dance can make the grade still. :tongue:

...meh, alright, I'll give it another chance. Can't be worse than Jinsei. :afraid:

It's not. Besides, I've always been a fan of the master/servant trope, even if it's not the primary focus of the series, especially when it involves some element of romance. :tongue:
Original post by Aiko
Yes, I've seen the OVAs too. I guess I'll watch the whole thing. I've taken the last week of this month off simply because I have annual leave to use at my workplace, so that'll be the best time to plow through all of this. I could do with a refresher, anyway. I saw the first anime adaptation when it aired. :tongue:

I usually find enjoyment in even the worst of anime. It's simply a case of time that I have to be a bit more picky, even though anime like Seirei Tsukai no Blade Dance can make the grade still. :tongue:

It's not. Besides, I've always been a fan of the master/servant trope, even if it's not the primary focus of the series, especially when it involves some element of romance. :tongue:

I'll likely be unemployed in a month... while I should probably be thinking more seriously about finding a new job, part of me wouldn't mind a little time off for some serious NEET anime marathoning. :redface: Should have time for an identify the anime thread then too, if I haven't made one earlier.

I don't mind bad anime, so long as they're amusing and/or original in some way. It's series that I feel I've seen before, but done better, that I find myself hating the most. In particular, I lose track of how many red-haired, twin-tailed, tsundere heroines I've seen now. :p:
Reply 7636
I'll likely be unemployed in a month... while I should probably be thinking more seriously about finding a new job, part of me wouldn't mind a little time off for some serious NEET anime marathoning. :redface: Should have time for an identify the anime thread then too, if I haven't made one earlier.

I'm sure you could take a few weeks off before you start the job hunt again. :yes:

I don't mind bad anime, so long as they're amusing and/or original in some way. It's series that I feel I've seen before, but done better, that I find myself hating the most. In particular, I lose track of how many red-haired, twin-tailed, tsundere heroines I've seen now. :p:

For what it's worth, she's probably my least favourite of the characters, even though the rest are hardly original either. :tongue:
Original post by Aiko
To be fair, over the last few episodes it has improved from [generic fantasy harem anime] to something a bit more fleshed out and interesting. I think I'll continue with it.

Zankyou no Terror is good. There's a few face-palmy things though (I realise a lot of Japanese VA don't speak fluent English but honestly that latest episode...) it also has a really choppy way of trying to flesh out the characters. Rather than just shove a backstory and flashbacks in my face, I'd rather learn about the characters through seeing them interact. The plausibility of the story is also really starting to stretch, although I'm happy to overlook this as it's certainly interesting.
Original post by Llewellyn
To be fair, over the last few episodes it has improved from [generic fantasy harem anime] to something a bit more fleshed out and interesting. I think I'll continue with it.

Zankyou no Terror is good. There's a few face-palmy things though (I realise a lot of Japanese VA don't speak fluent English but honestly that latest episode...) it also has a really choppy way of trying to flesh out the characters. Rather than just shove a backstory and flashbacks in my face, I'd rather learn about the characters through seeing them interact. The plausibility of the story is also really starting to stretch, although I'm happy to overlook this as it's certainly interesting.

Really? I thought the English was much better than standard, where they add a imaginary 'u' at the end of each sentence. But yeah the English coming out of five's mouth was a bit weird and it didn't fit properly.
has anyone here ever been to Japan?

Latest