The Student Room Group

Doctor Who - Discussion Thread III (no untagged future spoilers)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Dalek1099
Did anyone else notice when Clara holds here breath She doesn't hold her nose?-the clockwork droids may be idiotic but that doesn't explain why She collapsed because it is easy to simply close your mouth and you can't stop yourself breathing without your nostrils being closed and they weren't during the scene.

you can hold your breath without having to close your nostrils, she collapsed due to lack of breath - when you hold your breath you don't inhale - mouth or nose.
Reply 3461
Original post by greeneyedgirl
Agreed. Also the whole "we must make it super clear they are lesbians, and of course emphasis that really Clara is in love with the Doctor and useless without him as what are women without men? Unless of course they are transspecies lesbians and therefore have a shock factor..." :sigh:

Its not a stupid agenda against women, its simply showing Clara for what she is, she has always been a bit like this... its good that Moffat gets it out and then the story can move on and new things can happen.
Original post by alpen
Its not a stupid agenda against women, its simply showing Clara for what she is, she has always been a bit like this... its good that Moffat gets it out and then the story can move on and new things can happen.

True, Clara was always been smitten with smiths doctor, but the issue is that Moffat only ever writes female characters that act that way - Clara, Amy, even river have all been like love sick puppies at the heart of it.
Reply 3463
Original post by Stiff Little Fingers
True, Clara was always been smitten with smiths doctor, but the issue is that Moffat only ever writes female characters that act that way - Clara, Amy, even river have all been like love sick puppies at the heart of it.

Yeah its annoying - bring back a Doctor/Donna relationship anyday!
Original post by alpen

Donna is my favourite companion. Hope the next one is like her!

Posted from TSR Mobile
you can hold your breath without having to close your nostrils, she collapsed due to lack of breath - when you hold your breath you don't inhale - mouth or nose.

You can't just simply choose to inhale when you want to you act as if a person can control their bodily functions.You are only aware you are inhaling when taking a deep breath.After looking this up it seems as if it is possible to hold your breath without closing your nose but it seems strange that the Doctor and Clara seemed to assume everyone could do it in the episode.If you can hold your breath without closing your nostrils can you do it without closing your mouth? and if not why(a bit of topic I suppose).
(edited 9 years ago)

Exactly, which is why I was disappointed to find the new villain(?), "Missy" is a woman. Nothing wrong with female villains of course, but Moffat simply cannot write female characters without resulting to stereotypes. Women in Dr Who these days are usually useless and/or overly sexualised characters who flirt with the male characters constantly.

As for Deep Breath, it was extremely poor overall. The last 20 minutes or so were pretty good, but the 55 minutes that preceded it were almost unwatchable. The "patanoster gang" (or whatever their stupid name is) are awful, they are a constant reminder of the show's downward spiral from fantastic family drama to childish CBBC-style dross. Slapstick humour and recycled jokes revolving around the sontaran's stupidity follow these characters into every scene. Oh and did anyone know that the silurian and her maid are lesbians? Don't worry if you didn't, the hints are so subtle (/sarcasm).

But once the episode moved on from this silliness, it was (mostly) smooth sailing. Peter Capaldi finally got a chance to shine a bit after getting over his post-regeneration confusion, however he certainly doesn't have his own style yet as the whole scene was quite Smith-esque (probably down to the writing). I'm definitely looking forward to seeing more of him. Capaldi promised fans a "darker" Doctor Who but the only glimpse we got of that in this episode was the ambiguous scene of the robot leader's death.

Let's hope the Daleks are used properly in the next episode, it's been a while since there was a memorable Dalek story.
Surprised noone has suggested the Rani yet.
I was so dissapointed with yesterdays episode:frown: The writing and characters are simply just not as good as they used to be...the plotline wasn't unique or interesting, the characters are cheesy and boring, it almost seems like they have made it really childish with all the slapstick humour? I dont know, just in comparison to the storylines of Christopher Eccleston/David Tennants seasons, there is a clear different in quality

Also forgot to say...I cannot believe they changed the intro and the Tardis!!! Not happy about that...:unimpressed::unimpressed:
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Dalek1099
You can't just simply choose to inhale when you want to you act as if a person can control their bodily functions.You are only aware you are inhaling when taking a deep breath.After looking this up it seems as if it is possible to hold your breath without closing your nose but it seems strange that the Doctor and Clara seemed to assume everyone could do it in the episode.If you can hold your breath without closing your nostrils can you do it without closing your mouth? and if not why(a bit of topic I suppose).

Breathing is performed by contraction and relaxation of the diaphragm - a muscle that lies between your chest and your abdomen. Stopping your diaphragm from contracting/relaxing will stop breathing - whether or not you have your nostrils or mouths closed. All adult humans can do this. We have voluntary control over our breathing. :smile:
Original post by Josh93
I can see where you're coming from but the dynamic between her and Smith was really good - flirty but developing pretty organically into a deeper and clearly mutual affection. I agree that romance should not distract from the rest of the story/characterisation but done well I think it can definitely add to the depth of the character and create engaging plots. The girl in the fireplace is, in my opinion, one of the best episodes ever and romance is absolutely central to the emotional significance of that.

I don't know, I didn't like TGITF purely because of the romance.
I thought it was the weakest start since Ecclestone...

Capaldi didn't have the comic timing - there were obviously a few punchlines in the script, but they were completely off beat. It was really weird seeing someone play the Doctor without any eccentricities, he really was Capaldi running about reciting the lines like he was reading a shopping list. Once he got into the angry thing he was alright, but that first scene and the first scene in the restaurant in particular were soooooooo wooden, especially compared to how Tennant and Smith dealt with similar lines. A big change in character would be good, but maybe the scriptwriters need some time to work to Capaldi's strengths? Because comic timing isn't one of them.

(And yes, I know The Thick of It was a comedy show, but looking back, his shouting character allowed him to be pretty slack with timing. It was the characters reacting to him who needed the timing.)
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by greeneyedgirl
Agreed. Also the whole "we must make it super clear they are lesbians, and of course emphasis that really Clara is in love with the Doctor and useless without him as what are women without men? Unless of course they are transspecies lesbians and therefore have a shock factor..." :sigh:

lizbians :ahee:

I agree though, when they were first introduced it was subtle, to the point it wasn't ever really mentioned. It was just female human, female lizard, married, great, move on. And no more was ever said. It was just a thing we all accepted. Why Moffat felt the need to go over board with the referencing here is beyond me!
When the Doctor was talking about replacing all parts of the broom, he was also talking about himself. :zomg: And when he was holding the plate, there was a reflection on both sides so when he said, "you don't remember where you got that face from" they were as much statements to himself as the half faced man!

I really hope the doctor shoved the him, it's been a while since we've had a Doctor willing to go hard in the paint instead of letting his allies do the dirty work. He MUST have anyway (or at least his attack eyebrows did :mmm:)! The reason it kept patching itself up originally would have been to survive, making that the number one priority! It would not make sense if it had been programmed to be able to kill itself. :dontknow: Plus, as I've already said, I kind of want it to be the Doctor that killed him. Eleven killed several of his enemies, but it always seemed to get brushed off. It will be much more interesting if Capaldi's Doctor accepts that he resorts to violence at times and is not afraid to do so. I'm certain whether or not 12 is 'programmed' to kill is a mystery that will be dragged out all season though.

Really interested to see the direction they take this Doctor, it seems promising, although this episode admittedly wasn't the greatest ever. CAPALDI WAS AMAZING :eek3:, I absolutely LOVE him :love: He is a terrific actor and I'm so glad I didn't feel at all disappointed by him. I'd hyped myself up for Capaldi like you wouldn't believe and felt terrified I would end up not liking him cause I overhyped myself. :colondollar: Did anyone else expect him to explode in a "Malcolm Tucker-eque" barrage of verbal abuse and gratuitous swearing? #****itybye :lol:
Original post by alpen

Original post by timeywimey
Donna is my favourite companion. Hope the next one is like her!

Posted from TSR Mobile

She was the best :biggrin:
My siblings and I are fighting over who the biggest whovian is :rofl:
What a crap episode.....

Each doctor has a different vibe to them.

Matt Smiths was meant to be childish.

I assumed, just like everyone else Peter C was meant to be darker.
He is a great actor, its just that moffat messed it up for everyone
:cry::cry: absolutely awful. Tried watching more of it but just couldn't. Worst doctor who ever. feel sorry for jenna coleman (clara) coz he makes her look **** too.
Looking at my comment it might be me just missing the old one soo much. But I think its just that there are certain expectations you have to fill when being a doctor who. I dont think him being energetic and jumpy fits him as he just looks soo old. I think the classy and more serious look fits him just fine. (not written with stereotypical or ageist intent)
I've just merged three threads together, so apologies if the last few pages make no sense!

(I've never watched Dr. Who, so i'll now depart this thread :ninja:)

Quick Reply

Latest