The Student Room Group

Are my GCE good enough for Medicine course.

hi guys i really need some advice weather i have a decent chance at pursuing my dreams of studying medicine at uni. However i am really worried my School grades would let me down. Fist of all i would like to say that due to unfortunate circumstances i had to GCE in a foreign country where i couldn't preform at my very best (Excuses i know).

So are these grades good enough for medicine if i can get good alevel results

Chemistry - A*
Biology - A*
Physics - A*
Maths - A
Pakistan studies - B (i manged an A in history but a B in geography)
English - B
Islamiyat(RE) - C

I did well in my sciences but i just feel that my lack of subjects and my B's and C grade may let me down. But if i can take 4 A's/A*'s at alevels which i am very motivated to achieve would it really matter?

sorry in advance if i posted this in the wrong section.
These GCSE grades are indeed a bit on the low side, but if you manage to achieve AAAA even at AS, your chance would be improved greatly (for those medical schools that are not GCSE-heavy). Really focus on your A-levels, and good luck :smile:

EDIT: oh btw it's a good sign that your best subjects at GCSE are the most relevant ones to medicine
Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by RainbowVeins
These GCSE grades are indeed a bit on the low side, but if you manage to achieve AAAA even at AS, your chance would be improved greatly (for those medical schools that are not GCSE-heavy). Really focus on your A-levels, and good luck :smile:

EDIT: oh btw it's a good sign that your best subjects at GCSE are the most relevant ones to medicine
Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you so much for the reply.

However could you tell me what are my chances of actually getting a place at uni because the subjects i did well in are medicine related and so some people are insisting i should purse medicine. however other people tell me not to even bother.

I'm pretty confident i could get at least a A in science A-levels but i wouldn't like all the hard work i would have done to be meaningless in the end.

So the question i ask to you is, should i go for it or chose another option?

PS. I have done GCE instaed of GCSE. will that help me in anyway as i heard it is slightly more respected at uni(Ive only heard).
Original post by green/eyes
Thank you so much for the reply.

However could you tell me what are my chances of actually getting a place at uni because the subjects i did well in are medicine related and so some people are insisting i should purse medicine. however other people tell me not to even bother.

I'm pretty confident i could get at least a A in science A-levels but i wouldn't like all the hard work i would have done to be meaningless in the end.

So the question i ask to you is, should i go for it or chose another option?

PS. I have done GCE instaed of GCSE. will that help me in anyway as i heard it is slightly more respected at uni(Ive only heard).

It wouldn't be meaningless, having better grades at A level would help you get into better unis no matter what course you want to do. If you do well in your A levels it certainly would boost your chance for medicine too, for example, Queen's Belfast would ignore your GCSEs and give you 36/36 for academics if you got AAA at A-level. It would be easier to decide after you have done your AS.

Oh sorry, is that GCE O-level then? I heard it's harder but I'm not completely sure about this :tongue:
Pakistan studies? :rofl:
Reply 5
Original post by L'Evil Fish
Pakistan studies? :rofl:

It was the only history and geography course that was available to me.

I hope that this wouldn't be too much of a major problem or would it?
It was the only history and geography course that was available to me.

I hope that this wouldn't be too much of a major problem or would it?

I've just never heard of it :tongue:
Reply 7
So what are the best alevel choices for me to chose. I'm also willing to take five subjects if it would cover the deficit from my GCE's.

And does anyone know if uni's actually differ from a person who has done GCE as opposed to GCSE.
biology
Chemistry
Maths
Any one you want
Reply 9
biology
Chemistry
Maths
Any one you want

Should i stick to three or should i try and do an extra subject or two (Physics and History)
Should i stick to three or should i try and do an extra subject or two (Physics and History)

Do physics or history as well

Whichever you think you'll do best at
Reply 11
Do physics or history as well

Whichever you think you'll do best at

Most likely physics but i'm just worried that i all my hard work in A-levels would go down the drain because of my GCE grades and i should off invested my time in other subjects.

Thanks for your help
Most likely physics but i'm just worried that i all my hard work in A-levels would go down the drain because of my GCE grades and i should off invested my time in other subjects.

Thanks for your help

Gcse not gce

Gce is a level

If you do well at AS and also tell them your circumstances with gcses it should be fine
Reply 13
Gcse not gce

Gce is a level

If you do well at AS and also tell them your circumstances with gcses it should be fine

No i did O' level GCE.

Anyways thanks for your help.
Reply 14
Can anyone else give me any help.

What universities will accept my application for medicine?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending