The Student Room Group

Unbounded sequences

Hey need some help with proving this statement;
"A sequence (an) is not bounded above if and only if there is a sub-sequence (akn) such that this sub-sequence tends to infinity."

I've proved that if the sequence is not bounded above implies that there is a sub-sequence which tends to infinity but I can't see how to construct a formal proof for the other direction?

I know that if a sequence converges, then every subsequence converges to the same limit. Hence if you have a divergent subsequence, the sequence cannot converge, but don't know if this is sufficient.

Thanks in advance
Original post by Kim-Jong-Illest
Hey need some help with proving this statement;
"A sequence (an) is not bounded above if and only if there is a sub-sequence (akn) such that this sub-sequence tends to infinity."

I've proved that if the sequence is not bounded above implies that there is a sub-sequence which tends to infinity but I can't see how to construct a formal proof for the other direction?Write down what it means to say that a subsequence tends to infinity. It should be obvious how to show this means the subseqeunce cannot be bounded above, and so neither can the original sequence.

I know that if a sequence converges, then every subsequence converges to the same limit. Hence if you have a divergent subsequence, the sequence cannot converge, but don't know if this is sufficient.
I don't see how this is relevant (and to be honest, the fact that you think it is makes me suspect you are rather confused about this topic).
Original post by DFranklin
Write down what it means to say that a subsequence tends to infinity. It should be obvious how to show this means the subseqeunce cannot be bounded above, and so neither can the original sequence.

I don't see how this is relevant (and to be honest, the fact that you think it is makes me suspect you are rather confused about this topic).

I am pretty confused, need to learn the definitions more rigorously.

If (ank) is divergent to +infinity then for all a in the real numbers, there exists >0 such that for all N in the natural numbers, there exists a k>=N where | (ank) - a | > . Since this holds for all N it means that the sequence is not bounded from above and therefore the mother sequence cannot be either.

Is this correct? If so I feel like my conclusion should be more formal but not sure how to express it.

(an)(a_n)\to \infty if MN,NN\forall M \in \mathbb{N}, \exists N \in \mathbb{N} such that n > N     an>M\implies a_n > M.

Now suppose a_n is bounded above, let M be the upper bound and compare with the sentence above...

Quick Reply

Latest