The Student Room Group

Balotelli shares "racist" and "anti-semitic" joke, risking FA investigation

Scroll to see replies

He's been that **** this season that I'd actually forgotten about him until I heard this.

In the current climate of 'I'm offended!' he should know better than to post stuff like that. Then again, it's Balotelli.
Reply 21
Original post by Fullofsurprises
One difference - Italians and Irish people weren't the recent subjects of genocide, nor do they (generally) face repeated ongoing violence for merely being Italian and Irish.

His stepmum is Jewish, so pretty plainly, he isn't and yeah, people poke fun at their own origins, but there's a difference between that and other people doing it.

A lot of 'PC' is actually just plain common decency.

No of course the Irish don't have a history of being oppressed and killed off by the British and Italians don't get words like WOP and greaseball chucked at them by racists. No I forgot it's only the Jews that are oppressed.
There you go, there's your liberal society. Bashing for exercising one's right to freedom of speech! :angry:

By the way, Balo-who? :confused:
(edited 9 years ago)
Given the way he's played this season, Liverpool fans would probably jump for joy if he was suspended for a few games.
Original post by Life_peer
There you go, there's your liberal society. Bashing for exercising one's right to freedom of speech! :angry:

Well yeah... freedom of speech doesn't mean you can say or do anything you want without being criticised for it; that would itself be anti-free speech.
Shows like family guy make jokes about Jews on a regular basis but receives less criticism than this...

People need to lighten up
Howcome he isn't being done for stereotyping black people?
Reply 27
So much for freedom of speech. There is absolutely nothing wrong with his post.
Original post by Badshah
So much for freedom of speech. There is absolutely nothing wrong with his post.

This is nothing to do with freedom of speach. He isn't facing legal trouble for this. Freedom of speach does not mean that you cannot be critisised for what you say, or that you cannot be fired or punished by a private orginisation (so long as that punishment is within the law e.g. demotion or firing). All freedom of speach says is that you cannot be prosecuted for what you say.
Reply 29
Original post by james22
This is nothing to do with freedom of speach. He isn't facing legal trouble for this. Freedom of speach does not mean that you cannot be critisised for what you say, or that you cannot be fired or punished by a private orginisation (so long as that punishment is within the law e.g. demotion or firing). All freedom of speach says is that you cannot be prosecuted for what you say.

But he will be getting into trouble with the FA.
Original post by Badshah

So? They aren't the courts. Freedom of speach only gives you protection from the government, not private orginisations. I think XKCD explains it well

http://xkcd.com/1357/
The 'Looks like a Mexican' bit is a bit dodgy too. Like all Mexicans look the same and have that ridiculous stereotypical mustache...
Original post by Badshah

So? If you invited me into your house and then I started insulting you, are you seriously saying that free speech means you shouldn't be allowed to tell me to leave?
So all the races are not angry about the stereotyping.. But Jews are? LOL! Welcome to earth, where the jews are constant victims. Get over it!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Strange isn't. I've lost count how many times I have seen someone on here told that black people cant be racist.
Balance of power dynamics innit.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending