The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Hello all, I've recently joined and love anime :smile:

I'm currently watching fullmetal alchemist (original) as-well as some other anime from this season
Original post by Red Fox
Started watching Spice and Wolf, seems like it could be a good series. Also I've apparently watched 5 days of anime now, feels like a waste when it's put like that:lol:.

Original post by vin
Ive been continueing with last years secret santa series.:mmm: .Holo/Horo is quite endearing. :pinch:

It's great isn't it?! :biggrin: It's much too soon for me to rewatch it but I'm quite tempted haha.

Original post by Omar717
Hello all, I've recently joined and love anime :smile:

I'm currently watching fullmetal alchemist (original) as-well as some other anime from this season

I really enjoyed FMA, I watched that before brotherhood, have you seen brotherhood yet?
Original post by Ki Yung Na
It's great isn't it?! :biggrin: It's much too soon for me to rewatch it but I'm quite tempted haha.

I really enjoyed FMA, I watched that before brotherhood, have you seen brotherhood yet?

I'm planning on watching it after the original, but I'm definitely going to watch it that's for sure
Reply 8223
I finish hunter x hunter and i am looking for something new right now. I like a story with strategic or philosophical development. other series I like was baby steps (very cool anime about strategic tennis) death note, yu yu hakusho, fate/zero, evangelion, etc.

great comments here, i have fun reading you guys.
Original post by Raiz
I finish hunter x hunter and i am looking for something new right now. I like a story with strategic or philosophical development. other series I like was baby steps (very cool anime about strategic tennis) death note, yu yu hakusho, fate/zero, evangelion, etc.

great comments here, i have fun reading you guys.

Welcome to the society! :smile:

Monster springs to mind immediately, it's a fantastic mystery series with possibly the best story and characters I've ever seen in anime... pacing is a little on the slow side, but the time taken to build things up and tell the story from multiple different angles pays off in the end IMO. :yes:

Zetsuen no Tempest is another show I'd recommend highly, though the first half is admittedly a lot better than the second half. Worth it for the battle of wits, though!

Finally, if you're interested in another strategy-based sports anime, One Outs' protagonist ensures that it stands out from other baseball series.

Hope something there takes your interest! :smile:
Reply 8225
Original post by AngryJellyfish
Welcome to the society! :smile:

Monster springs to mind immediately, it's a fantastic mystery series with possibly the best story and characters I've ever seen in anime... pacing is a little on the slow side, but the time taken to build things up and tell the story from multiple different angles pays off in the end IMO. :yes:

Zetsuen no Tempest is another show I'd recommend highly, though the first half is admittedly a lot better than the second half. Worth it for the battle of wits, though!

Finally, if you're interested in another strategy-based sports anime, One Outs' protagonist ensures that it stands out from other baseball series.

Hope something there takes your interest! :smile:

Thank you very much AngryJellyfish
Original post by Omar717
I'm planning on watching it after the original, but I'm definitely going to watch it that's for sure

Good idea! I did the same.
I am totally obessed with Naruto (MY FAV ANIME EVER!) lol

I also totally loved DBZ, One piece, Digimon, SAO, Bleach and Fairytail...
All the classics really :smile:

But Naruto is still my fav, the characters and storylines are just amazing. Been hooked forever cant believe its really over :frown:
Anyone here hyped for the 2015 New Year continuation of JJBA:s-smilie:tardust Crusaders? Hyped to see Dio die tbh.
Decided to use Anime-Planet's personal manga recommendation system to choose my next series - despite my excitement when they announced the feature a few months ago, I continued using Manga Updates since it could do things like differentiate between licensed/unlicensed series, or list only series that were fully scanlated etc, which A-P doesn't do.

Anyway, out of all the suggestions, I ended up going with Ibitsu. Sounds like it'll be fun. :evil:
Anyone here watch Nodame Cantabile?
Original post by keromedic
Anyone here watch Nodame Cantabile?

Nope. Sorry.

Just finished Tokyo Ghoul though, amazing animation and good anime. Started from chapter 1 from the manga, because people say it's better :biggrin:.
Anyone else watched Tokyo Ghoul?
Decided to use Anime-Planet's personal manga recommendation system to choose my next series - despite my excitement when they announced the feature a few months ago, I continued using Manga Updates since it could do things like differentiate between licensed/unlicensed series, or list only series that were fully scanlated etc, which A-P doesn't do.

Anyway, out of all the suggestions, I ended up going with Ibitsu. Sounds like it'll be fun. :evil:

Seem pretty good, based on the picture lol. I love horror/gorey anime/manga like elfen lied and stuff, can you give me some recommendations like that? As posted, just finished tokyo ghoul, so I am in that mood for these sort of ones.

Also do any of you guys read one-punch man, berserk, or the other one, god, I forgot the name. With the the people give number 1,2,3 up to 47 or something with claire and teresa of the faint smile, I think claymore.

I also have a dilemma, I always read lots of manga but ALWAYS forget the chapter I am on. I then end up coming back like after 1 year to finish it and forget where to start, how'd you guys keep tabs on it all? Use anime-planet? Also is there a way you can go through the story without reading the whole manga again to get to the part, like a short summary of all the chapters?
Original post by TheNoobishKnight
Also is there a way you can go through the story without reading the whole manga again to get to the part, like a short summary of all the chapters?

If it's a relatively popular series, the Wiki for the series will have summaries of chapters/story arcs that you can skim over to remind yourself of what happened.
Original post by TroyAndAbed
If it's a relatively popular series, the Wiki for the series will have summaries of chapters/story arcs that you can skim over to remind yourself of what happened.

Oh okay thanks buddy.

Anyone finish Gantz? Worst MANGA ENDING EVER!!!!!!!

1st 1/2 amazing, the last 1/2 completely ****ed it up.
Just finished Tokyo Ghoul though, amazing animation and good anime. Started from chapter 1 from the manga, because people say it's better :biggrin:.
Anyone else watched Tokyo Ghoul?

Yep, and I'm greatly looking forward to next season's sequel! :biggrin: The final episode was fantastic in its own way, but it left the series on quite the cliffhanger. :zomg:

Seem pretty good, based on the picture lol. I love horror/gorey anime/manga like elfen lied and stuff, can you give me some recommendations like that? As posted, just finished tokyo ghoul, so I am in that mood for these sort of ones.

Well I've now read the first volume of Ibitsu, which was fantastically creepy. :evil: I'd recommend it on that basis, and just hope it ends well.

As for other horror manga that I've read before, Hideout's a good singe volume story, Franken Fran is brilliant if you like body horror, and The Drifting Classroom is a classic. :smile:

Anime-wise, I'd suggest Shin Sekai Yori, Blue Gender, and definitely Higurashi no Naku Koro ni if you've not already seen that. :afraid:

I also have a dilemma, I always read lots of manga but ALWAYS forget the chapter I am on. I then end up coming back like after 1 year to finish it and forget where to start, how'd you guys keep tabs on it all? Use anime-planet? Also is there a way you can go through the story without reading the whole manga again to get to the part, like a short summary of all the chapters?

For manga, I read full volumes either as paperbacks or on Kindle, so I've never had to worry about that (apart from when bookmarks fall out :frown:). Anime-Planet does have a manga chapter count function though, so it might be worth trying it out. I've definitely found the episode counter useful when coming back to anime series after a long time!
(edited 9 years ago)
Yep, and I'm greatly looking forward to next season's sequel! :biggrin: The final episode was fantastic in its own way, but it left the series on quite the cliffhanger. :zomg:

Well I've now read the first volume of Ibitsu, which was fantastically creepy. :evil: I'd recommend it on that basis, and just hope it ends well.

As for other horror manga that I've read before, Hideout's a good singe volume story, Franken Fran is brilliant if you like body horror, and The Drifting Classroom is a classic. :smile:

Anime-wise, I'd suggest Shin Sekai Yori, Blue Gender, and definitely Higurashi no Naku Koro ni if you've not already seen that. :afraid:

For manga, I read full volumes either as paperbacks or on Kindle, so I've never had to worry about that (apart from when bookmarks fall out :frown:). Anime-Planet does have a manga chapter count function though, so it might be worth trying it out. I've definitely found the episode counter useful when coming back to anime series after a long time!

Wow thanks for all the links. Higurashi has a Visual novel, I think? If it does, I will read that. I just enjoy them more.

I tried to download some onto the kindle paper white, but was far too much hassle than just reading it on my macbook or manga rock app on android.

I tried to buy some but they are priced so stupidly, it's not even worth it.
It's like comics, so expensive here. Many haven't even been translated yet.

I will defo use that. Thanks.
Currently watching:
One piece
Naruto
sword art online
Psycho pass
Akame ga Kill
Fate/night zero

Watched:
Hunter x hunter
Full metal alchemest
Deathnote
Shinjegi no kyojin (attack on titan)
No game no life
Black bullet
(+more, can't remember them rn)

--------
So yeah, hello!

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Wow thanks for all the links. Higurashi has a Visual novel, I think? If it does, I will read that. I just enjoy them more.

I tried to download some onto the kindle paper white, but was far too much hassle than just reading it on my macbook or manga rock app on android.

I tried to buy some but they are priced so stupidly, it's not even worth it.
It's like comics, so expensive here. Many haven't even been translated yet.

I will defo use that. Thanks.

Yeah, Higurashi started off as a visual novel. I've honestly never read/played one of those before, might have to give one a go sometime. :beard:

I use the Kindle Comic Converter for Paperwhite; no doubt there are easier ways of reading manga on the go, but I'm quite happy with the device.

As for buying manga, I've certainly saved money since I ran out of shelf space and went digital. :tongue: I was paying ~£50 for single volumes of some out of print and hard to find series, but it's my only real hobby, and it always felt good whenever I completed a series. :biggrin:
Yeah, Higurashi started off as a visual novel. I've honestly never read/played one of those before, might have to give one a go sometime. :beard:

I use the Kindle Comic Converter for Paperwhite; no doubt there are easier ways of reading manga on the go, but I'm quite happy with the device.

As for buying manga, I've certainly saved money since I ran out of shelf space and went digital. :tongue: I was paying ~£50 for single volumes of some out of print and hard to find series, but it's my only real hobby, and it always felt good whenever I completed a series. :biggrin:

Visual novels are amazing. I met 2 awesome people completely by chance(one through TSR) and they introduced me to 2 different ones. It depends on whether you like reading though. Mangas are pretty short on words compared to books.

I may invest into a kindle again, returned the paper white as I used it only for manga lol. Does it scale properly? Mines was off scale :frown:.

I never had shelf space, I have a small room, with virtually no shelf or anything to put books on lol. I really do want to collect them though, just so I can read them whenever and support the authors.

Latest