The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by XxKingSniprxX
What modules do you study?

AS: FP1, S2 and S3

A2: FP2, FP3 and S4

Posted from TSR Mobile
C3 harder than C4 harder than S2. I am currently finishing off C4; did C3 and S2 over summer. C4 seems easy compared to C3, C3 is a killer! Gonna redo the textbook chapter 6 and 7 over Xmas!
Original post by Abel Demoz
AS: FP1, S2 and S3

A2: FP2, FP3 and S4

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm doing the same! I chose to do FP2, S3 and S4. Thoughts on S3 in comparison to S2? S2 is easier than S1 IMO haha apart from ch 5 which seems to trip me up lol so yh, S3 hard?
Original post by tazza ma razza
I'm doing the same! I chose to do FP2, S3 and S4. Thoughts on S3 in comparison to S2? S2 is easier than S1 IMO haha apart from ch 5 which seems to trip me up lol so yh, S3 hard?

S3 is pretty much an extension on S2 as it's mostly sampling and hypothesis testing, in greater depth of course. With regards to difficulty, different people find different things harder but I'd say that, for me, S2 is easier :smile:

Not many people do S4. Which course are you applying for?
Original post by PinkElephant16
LOOOL
I'm weird, I did really well in C1 (98) and messed up C2 (80)
S2 is not too bad, but finding C3 trig quite challenging

please let me know if you find any revision resources for Core :smile:

I just did a question on C3 Trig and spent about 30 solid minutes confused as how I went wrong. I realised I wrote the double angle formula wrong instead of Cos2A=2Cos^2A-1, I wrote it as Cos2A=2Cos2A-1. That mistake at '2' and not '^2':cry:

Everything is C3 is fairly straightforward but the amount of Trig to learn is the only real challenge.

Thanks, i'll let you know :tongue:
(edited 9 years ago)
C3 harder than C4 harder than S2. I am currently finishing off C4; did C3 and S2 over summer. C4 seems easy compared to C3, C3 is a killer! Gonna redo the textbook chapter 6 and 7 over Xmas!

I'm still learning C3 but I would assume C4 to be the same difficulty just a follow through of more content.

C3 = Trig
C4 = Integration.

The chapters with the most amount of content to learn. ^
Reply 106
Is C4 Vectors really hard or overrated? I have done M1 vectors and didn't find that hard. Also is it harder than integration?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Senll
Is C4 Vectors really hard or overrated? I have done M1 vectors and didn't find that hard. Also is it harder than integration?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Overrated bro

Posted from TSR Mobile
S3 is pretty much an extension on S2 as it's mostly sampling and hypothesis testing, in greater depth of course. With regards to difficulty, different people find different things harder but I'd say that, for me, S2 is easier :smile:

Not many people do S4. Which course are you applying for?

I am applying for Accounting and Finance at LSE, Warwick and Bath in addition to Economics at Nottingham and UCL. Oh ok so S3 is harder... hmmm kinda expected that to be fair. You started S4 yet then?
Reply 109
Original post by physicsmaths

Alright cheers

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Paras Agarwal
well major major respect to you for your mock score! i suggest you give edexcel june 13 a try . #HARDESTPAPEROFALLTIME

I don't see why people find that paper hard honestly. I did it as practice and got 100%. There was nothing hard on that paper EXCEPT the trig identity where you had to prove tan(x)= tan(30)/3 (which really was just a matter of realising that sin(90-x)=cos(x)) The rest of the paper were just standard questions which have been asked before.
Original post by tabmax22
I don't see why people find that paper hard honestly. I did it as practice and got 100%. There was nothing hard on that paper EXCEPT the trig identity where you had to prove tan(x)= tan(30)/3 (which really was just a matter of realising that sin(90-x)=cos(x)) The rest of the paper were just standard questions which have been asked before.

People crumble under pressure. i did that one and got 75 aswell.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by physicsmaths
People crumble under pressure. i did that one and got 75 aswell.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Fair enough. But I just think that the june 2013 people were incredibly lucky for only needing 50 to get an A in that paper and 57 for A* (and 64 for 100 UMS!!!!). I mean yeah sure I agree it is harder than a standard C3 paper but I really didn't think that it deserves such low boundaries.
Q) Are we given the harmonic identities in the formula sheet for C3 or are we expected to know them?

Harmonic identities ->
Acos(x)+/-Bsin(x) = RCos(x+/-alpha)
ASin(x)+/-Bcos(x) = Rsin(x+/-alpha)

I know they are similar and easy to remember after a couple past paper questions but just for the benefit of doubt. I know how to derive (R=Sq root A^2+B^2) + (Tan^-1(B/A) = alpha) and solve equations using them. Is that all that is expected at C3? I'm with Edexcel btw. :smile:
I am applying for Accounting and Finance at LSE, Warwick and Bath in addition to Economics at Nottingham and UCL. Oh ok so S3 is harder... hmmm kinda expected that to be fair. You started S4 yet then?

I haven't started it yet I'm afraid. I'll probably start it in January. When do you plan on starting S3/4?

Posted from TSR Mobile
I haven't started it yet I'm afraid. I'll probably start it in January. When do you plan on starting S3/4?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Was gonna start S3 as of the 27th of jan (have mocks before then) hopefully taking no more than 3 - 4 weeks and then the same again for S4.
Was gonna start S3 as of the 27th of jan (have mocks before then) hopefully taking no more than 3 - 4 weeks and then the same again for S4.

Awesome! How about FP2?
Awesome! How about FP2?

Currently doing ch 6 (i have done ch1,2,3 already) after i finish chapter 6 of C4 i will then go and finish of ch 4 and 5 of FP2 else i will hammer out S3 and S4. And yourself, whats your current standing?
Reply 118
Is there a C4 thread yet for 2015?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by lam12
Is there a C4 thread yet for 2015?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Someone hoping will create one by Jan-February time when everyone generally begins learning Core 4.

Latest

Trending

Trending