The Student Room Group

Can't make the interview in person - is this it?

I have just been invited to an interview for a summer internship with EY (Actuarial, Life) and can't make the interview at their office as I will be out of the country (checked how much it would be to rebook my flight but could never afford it). They were actually really nice, checked if I could do it before I leave, called back but could only offer a phone interview. Of course I accepted but now I am worried that I will be at a disadvantage compared to other candidates! Has anyone ever been in this situation? :frown:
You should have asked if you could have done the interview via Skype whilst abroad. A phone interview alone might put you at a disadvantage because they cant judge body language and can only go on how enthusiastic you sound. In this world, its possible to have a decent interview from almost anywhere and Skype interviews are becoming more common with people frequently travelling abroad.
Reply 2
Arrgh. I might email them to suggest that... Is it too late to do that now?
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by kajka
Arrgh. I might email them to suggest that... Is it too late to do that now?

When is your interview? It depends if they can fit it in.
Reply 4
Original post by kajka
I have just been invited to an interview for a summer internship with EY (Actuarial, Life) and can't make the interview at their office as I will be out of the country (checked how much it would be to rebook my flight but could never afford it). They were actually really nice, checked if I could do it before I leave, called back but could only offer a phone interview. Of course I accepted but now I am worried that I will be at a disadvantage compared to other candidates! Has anyone ever been in this situation? :frown:

Telephone interviews are standard - please don't worry about it not being face to face
Reply 5
Original post by Kutie Karen
When is your interview? It depends if they can fit it in.

6th of January.

Original post by Wayway32
Telephone interviews are standard - please don't worry about it not being face to face

Thank you, I wouldn't worry if everyone had a phone interview, it's just the fact that I expect almost everyone will be there in person.
In that case you have lots of time to ask them to sort it out for you. Go for it and good luck. :smile:
Original post by kajka
6th of January.

Thank you, I wouldn't worry if everyone had a phone interview, it's just the fact that I expect almost everyone will be there in person.

Is this a partner interview or a first interview?

If it is a first interview, most firms do those over the phone anyway, so I wouldn't get too worried. Obviously in person would be better, but you should still be able to pass the interview over the phone.
Reply 8
Original post by Classical Liberal
Is this a partner interview or a first interview?

If it is a first interview, most firms do those over the phone anyway, so I wouldn't get too worried. Obviously in person would be better, but you should still be able to pass the interview over the phone.

Hi,
It's the first interview. They also finally replied to say they don't do Skype interviews. So... fingers crossed I guess!
Reply 9
Never before had I been called within one hour (!) of a phone interview to be told by the guy who interviewed me, a manager and not a random some HR person, that I'd been successful... despite the fact that most people had a chance to be interviewed in person! And I am still out of the country. ECSTATIC!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending