The Student Room Group

Charlie Hebdo

Scroll to see replies

Original post by TheBBQ

Just some of the thoughts of people about this issue..

"They're asking for it"

"They haven't learned their lesson"

Disgusting.

I agree with you. I don't think it is acceptable for people to say that a bunch of essentially pensioners were looking for trouble.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by LeeMills77
I've never heard of the magazine until last week. Because of the murders and the furore, I'm intrigued by the controversy.

I read an article on spiked-online.com called 'What if Charlie Hebdo was published in Britain? It exposes the hypocrisy the politicians, students and others.

Now, I see why they are offended, buy by doing this, it's added much more publicity and exposure to the magazine. Now, Charlie Hebdo is probably one of the most well-known magazines currently.

What do you believe? Free speech, or not? At the minute, people only believe in it only when it suits them. Either you do, or you don't.

What do you think?

We already have something similar in the uk which is called private eye

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Pegasus2
This isn't about free speech or defiance. It's about France's arrogance and double standards.

It is not ok to attack someone's race, gender, ethniciy or religion, so basically anyone's held belief and we have laws against that. But no, in France it's ok to continusly make malicious insults about islam and muslims. No matter how much you disagree with it, it's still wrong.

I find that the Charlie Hedbo magazine is at least partially responsible for what occured.

The bit underlined. Really? Really?
People do NOT chose their race, ethnicity or gender. People CHOOSE a religion. It was invented to man, and is open to satire, just like all other ideologies. Which, incidentally, have also been mocked, but I don't see them gunning people down.
So you blame the victims for their own deaths? Not terrorists?
Charlie Hebdo have posted racist cartoons in the past, all in the name of 'satire'. I don't condone the deaths, however I would've been happy to see a protest. I really hope an English version of Charlie Hebdo circulates around the UK. The ****storm that would erupt.. Double standard to its finest.

It's as if you get victimised for not sympathizing with Charlie Hebdo. Some of the things they've posted in the past would offend a lot of people.
No it is not, malicious offence only serves to undermine. It has no positive effects to society.

What do you mean by society and how do you know it doesn't have any positive effects?

Surely if some people enjoy reading the material then it is positive. What makes something 'positive for society'?

Original post by em.d_4
I don't think it should be illegal to express an unpopular of politically incorrect opinion but you shouldn't expect everyone to sit by and take it/ agree with you. You should expect debate, that said you shouldn't have to fear being shot.
I read someone use the example of the work place saying if you mocked islam or said you hated muslims at work you'd get fired or disciplined at least. but this does not only relate to religion if you said you hated women or people over 40 or black people etc in the work place you'd get the same treatment. That's not to say you can't have those opinions it's just to say there's a time to express them.
I don't agree that we should have laws to prevent people expressing those views.
Laws to prevent discrimination perhaps e.g. in NI gay men still can not give blood that's discrimination and we need laws to prevent that. But do we need laws to say you can't say you disagree with homosexuality, no we don't because it's someone's opinion no matter how stupid, uneducated and narrow minded it is.
If we disagree with someone's use of their free speech we have to rise above it or debate it with them

No we don't. Freedom of association is just as important yet we don't have that either fully.

Getting fired for being offensive is different because the employer is a private individual and should be able to choose (and refuse) to associate with anyone they wish to.

Of course freedom of association means being able to discriminate. We certainly do not need any laws against discrimination. Otherwise you force people to associate with people they do not wish to, which is comparable to slavery.
Sure some people may use this to discriminate against homosexuals or blacks but this would most likely lead them to being discriminated against themselves for such horrid beliefs.

Currently it is illegal for shops to display 'no blacks' signs. If this law was abolished do you really think there would be shops popping up displaying these signs? Of course not, everyone would refuse to do business with these people.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by masterwam
We already have something similar in the uk which is called private eye

Posted from TSR Mobile

Private eye is nothing like Charlie Hebdo, it wouldn't have the balls to do anything that provocative.
Original post by caitb97
Text

See the quotes at the bottom :smile:

Original post by Unkempt_One
By reading the comics, do you mean you've actually read the magazines or just the cartoons? Because if it's the latter as far as I'm concerned you're just as uninformed as anyone else.

Just the comics and further research, maybe so, but more informed and that majority, outside of France, which i'm willing to bet haven't seen them. I also can't speak French, i've translated as much as I could but a comic's message lies more in its grapic than its text. It doesn't matter to the rest of the content of the 'zine, is that supposed to make up for the comics?

Have you seen them? I'd love to post them here with a poll, but i'm not allowed. Why is that? Could it be they're deemed offensive by the sensible mods?

Original post by Dani California
The bit underlined. Really? Really?
People do NOT chose their race, ethnicity or gender. People CHOOSE a religion. It was invented to man, and is open to satire, just like all other ideologies. Which, incidentally, have also been mocked, but I don't see them gunning people down.
So you blame the victims for their own deaths? Not terrorists?

No they don't choose but what does that matter? You're still attacking a group of people or someone because they are different. I though we stopped doing that a long time ago as part of an enlightened (yeah, right) society.

Ok...just for comparison...ideally i'd have posted one of the comics just before this but i'd probably be banned, so go an find them yourself, a quick google image search should suffice. Now read very carefully.

Wiki
Satire is a genre of literature, and sometimes graphic and performing arts, in which vices, follies, abuses, and shortcomings are held up to ridicule. Some people see in satire an intent of shaming individuals, corporations, government or society itself, into improvement.

Wiki
In law, hate speech is any speech, gesture or conduct, writing, or display which is forbidden because it may incite violence or prejudicial action against or by a protected individual or group, or because it disparages or intimidates a protected individual or group.

Still think Charlie Hebdo is satire? It certainly incited violence.

No they don't choose but what does that matter? You're still attacking a group of people or someone because they are different. I though we stopped doing that a long time ago as part of an enlightened (yeah, right) society.

Ok...just for comparison...ideally i'd have posted one of the comics just before this but i'd probably be banned, so go an find them yourself, a quick google image search should suffice. Now read very carefully.

Still think Charlie Hebdo is satire? It certainly incited violence.

If you think that violence is an appropriate reaction to satire, you are a disgrace to this society.
To anyone with a brain, this was a huge over reaction. Some butt hurt terrorists couldn't deal with their anger, and people died as a consequence. So yes, it was satire. I don't see anyone else responding with gunfire.
As for not attacking "different" people. The people at Hebdo, and anyone else you accuse of attacking Islam, are entitled to that opinion. It's not like they're being attacked over race, something they can't choose. They choose to be Islamic, and a lot of people disagree with Islam.
If you're suggesting that people are not allowed to disagree with Islam, then I suggest you rethink the idea of the religion of peace and tolerance.
Reply 28
For all those people banging on about this is an attack on freedom and the terrorists hate the freedom of the french and europeans...you have no social context of muslims living in France. Let me enlighten your lazy 'fox news' ridden ass about this...

- With the recent onslaught in Gaza and banning of peaceful demonstrations in France because this is supposedly offensive to jews and is deemed antisemitic. ARE DEMONSTRATIONS NOT A BIG PART OF FREEDOM OF SPEECH IN DEMOCRATIC COUNTRIES ?
- France is the only country where woman can be banned for putting on an item of clothing, even if by their own choice and will.
- French politics and geopolitics are horrible if your an African or a Muslim, treated like a second class citizen. Economically and socially marginalised.
- A gruesome history not so long ago, with Algerians and Tunisians. I'm sure many are still living to tell the tales...:rolleyes:
- Continually under attack by the media. These sort of satires are really common and slurs against muslims.

The attack is not an isolated incident targeted exclusively due to a satire being published in a magazine. This islamophobic sentiment has been building for some time now, has just resulted in this backlash targeting the most public and openly provacative people out there.
Original post by Dani California
If you think that violence is an appropriate reaction to satire, you are a disgrace to this society.
To anyone with a brain, this was a huge over reaction. Some butt hurt terrorists couldn't deal with their anger, and people died as a consequence. So yes, it was satire. I don't see anyone else responding with gunfire.
As for not attacking "different" people. The people at Hebdo, and anyone else you accuse of attacking Islam, are entitled to that opinion. It's not like they're being attacked over race, something they can't choose. They choose to be Islamic, and a lot of people disagree with Islam.
If you're suggesting that people are not allowed to disagree with Islam, then I suggest you rethink the idea of the religion of peace and tolerance.

Just :facepalm2:

Honestly, don't care anymore.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending