The Student Room Group

Why have the attacks in Nigeria been ignored?

So recently there has been a village in Nigera attacked by Boko Haram and over 2,000 people have been killed. Do not get me wrong, what has happened in Paris is tragic an I'm glad people are protesting for freed of speech, however this incident in Paris has been getting so much media attention when in contrast, the attacks in Nigeria with far more many people killed has not been getting much media attention at all.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 1
Because it's muslims killing muslims. Nigeria don't even curr.
Reply 2
It was all over Twitter and the news this week. This isn't the first time Boko Haram have carried out a massacre like this - it's pretty common with them. It isn't really 'news' as they've done it before, I think.

Read this - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timeline_of_Boko_Haram_attacks_in_Nigeria

Horrific stuff.
Reply 3
Original post by caitb97
It was all over Twitter and the news this week. This isn't the first time Boko Haram have carried out a massacre like this - it's pretty common with them. It isn't really 'news' as they've done it before, I think.

Read this - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timeline_of_Boko_Haram_attacks_in_Nigeria

Horrific stuff.

I should have been clear, I meant that it hasn't really been repoted on the news channels like BBC or Sky. I know it has hapened before but I feel with this many people killed and it is one of the biggest massacres in Nigeria's history I just feel it needs to be reported more and spoken about more.
Reply 4
Original post by drowzee
I should have been clear, I meant that it hasn't really been repoted on the news channels like BBC or Sky. I know it has hapened before but I feel with this many people killed and it is one of the biggest massacres in Nigeria's history I just feel it needs to be reported more and spoken about more.

It was on BBC News tonight and Sky News today, I just think it took them a while to be able to source images of the aftermath (there was so much land to cover!) It's good it's finally being reported. So horrific I hope they eventually restore order in countries affected by BH and they dismantle the group
Because a young musllim man (just one) has been murdered in Dresden and we don't know who did it.
It may, just may, have been a racist murder, then again it may not, there's no evidence to say it is, but either way that is obviously more important to post about than the 2,000 Muslims slaughtered by , you guessd it, other Muslims.
Hence why this unimportant thread was about to drop off the bottom of the page till I posted this.
Because it's happening everyday in Nigeria.You should read Kafka's Metamorphosis.

Also Charlie Hebdo attack wasn't just on people, it was an attack on the freedom of speech and European values.That's why people are talking about it for weeks.
(edited 9 years ago)
In case you didn't know there have been huge genocides for years in the Democratic Republic of Congo.

The West doesn't care about what happens to impoverished black people in corrupt countries. This is nothing new.
Because they're black.

Anything else?
Original post by pocahontas lol
Because they're black.

Anything else?

Don't forget poor
Original post by Guybrush Sheepgood
Don't forget poor

Nigerians can be quite affluent. There are black African societies in probably every African country with people who aren't poor. And as immigrants they do very well once they cope with adversity, should it come.

But no one cares because no one cares about black people. That was my point.
Original post by pocahontas lol
Nigerians can be quite affluent. There are black African societies in probably every African country with people who aren't poor. And as immigrants they do very well once they cope with adversity, should it come.

But no one cares because no one cares about black people. That was my point.

Nigerians can be affluent.

The ones who are being butchered, aren't.
Original post by drowzee

What's your opinion on the japanese governments budget reduction to Okinawa?
Original post by Guybrush Sheepgood
In case you didn't know there have been huge genocides for years in the Democratic Republic of Congo.

The West doesn't care about what happens to impoverished black people in corrupt countries. This is nothing new.

You are right. But why should the west be too bothered about it? It has little to know impact on western politicians or Citiziens.
Reply 14
These attacks happened the same day as the Paris attacks I think. Its a shame that its only getting international media now. What happened in both places was despicable but those events happening at the same time and the fact that only the Paris attacks had more exposure clearly shows that there was no international outcry because it didn't include/affect the West.

Original post by geneticist
Because it's happening everyday in Nigeria.You should read Kafka's Metamorphosis.

Also Charlie Hebdo attack wasn't just on people, it was an attack on the freedom of speech and European values.That's why people are talking about it for weeks.

The fact that it happens frequently in Nigeria means that it should actually be getting more attention, not the opposite. If similar attacks occurred in the UK, France or any other part of the West, there would be more attention in general and from other Western leaders. These horrific events happen in other African countries and have done so for years, the West generally just don't care about Africa.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending