The Student Room Group

I think i'm losing a friendship because of the Israel-Palestine conflict

I think I am losing a 10-year friendship with my closest friend because of the Israel-Palestine conflict. Just some background, I am actually British-Filipino so I am not even part of this conflict, but as a Politics and Economics student, I am interested in current affairs so no doubt, the Israel-Palestine has got me reading and watching more videos about it.

I can write another post about my personal thoughts about this conflict in depth but for now I just want to focus on my current problem with my best friend. She is Arab and is very passionate about this conflict and I tried talking to her about my thoughts and how I analysed where I thought this situation was going. BTW, I refuse to even choose who to support (in short, my politics thinking is in the belief that the UK should only focus on their internal problems and European issues and by extension ex-colonies because Europe is our neighbour and we should not be sending billions of pounds to countries when we have our own problems to deal with). I say this to my friend alongside my political analysis on who had the upper-hand and came to the conclusion that Palestinians were truly going to suffer and I pray for the many innocents who are going to die from both sides as well as the failure of leadership, and completely against international aid from countries like the US who are nowhere NEAR these countries. I also mentioned the important factor of geopolitics and how although Israel was surrounded by enemies and such, they still had the upper hand of cargo drops for weaponry. All in all, I pretty much emphasized my lack of stance here, my empathy and hope that this conflict will soon come to an end.

What was I met with? I was met with messages with hostility and sarcasm that pointed me to be a fool and that I was misinformed and suffered from propaganda for my empathy for Israel even though I did not once say that I supported them, I only empathised with the loses - I made it clear that I was just analysing this from a curious Politics student. I explained myself over and over but they kept on saying how my points were invalid apart from a few - but it made me feel stupid. I did watch hours of videos and read multiple articles online ranging from different sources so I could see this conflict from different perspectives - I tried my best to be educated in this conflict and even if I was misinformed, I would have loved it if my friend would have just approached it in a friendlier manner like I was just their friend and not a supporter and I would have loved to learn from her intellect and wise nature.

But I'm left distraught, stupid, and have felt like I have just lost a friend. And it wasn't even that we disagreed on the Israel-Palestine conflict - we analysed things similarly, but I think she really hated my British foreign policy of just not getting involved and also my empathy towards the people who lost their lives in the recent attacks. I don't want to lose this friendship but I dont know how to ever approach them again if all they see in me is a political disagreement and not the 10 years we spent talking about books, classes, teachers, e.t.c.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Let your friend go

Sadly so many people have been hard wired to respond like a lit firework. Nothing you say will help. They don't want to see life by anyone else's viewpoint because they have been brain washed and indoctrinated (polarised) into one way of thinking. The people surrounding them are also encouraging this response. Sadly this means they have to be led by men who have no perspective on life and who don't value women equally.

The result is not surprisingly - bad.
If someone won't tolerate you holding alternative opinions to them or attempts to convert/harass/shame you into being their parrot, they are not a friend worth having.

Life is too short to waste your valuable time and energy on someone who does not deserve any of either.
Focus on being friends with reasonably behaved people who bring something pleasant and positive to your life.
Good luck!
Original post by Anonymous
I think I am losing a 10-year friendship with my closest friend because of the Israel-Palestine conflict. Just some background, I am actually British-Filipino so I am not even part of this conflict, but as a Politics and Economics student, I am interested in current affairs so no doubt, the Israel-Palestine has got me reading and watching more videos about it.

I can write another post about my personal thoughts about this conflict in depth but for now I just want to focus on my current problem with my best friend. She is Arab and is very passionate about this conflict and I tried talking to her about my thoughts and how I analysed where I thought this situation was going. BTW, I refuse to even choose who to support (in short, my politics thinking is in the belief that the UK should only focus on their internal problems and European issues and by extension ex-colonies because Europe is our neighbour and we should not be sending billions of pounds to countries when we have our own problems to deal with). I say this to my friend alongside my political analysis on who had the upper-hand and came to the conclusion that Palestinians were truly going to suffer and I pray for the many innocents who are going to die from both sides as well as the failure of leadership, and completely against international aid from countries like the US who are nowhere NEAR these countries. I also mentioned the important factor of geopolitics and how although Israel was surrounded by enemies and such, they still had the upper hand of cargo drops for weaponry. All in all, I pretty much emphasized my lack of stance here, my empathy and hope that this conflict will soon come to an end.

What was I met with? I was met with messages with hostility and sarcasm that pointed me to be a fool and that I was misinformed and suffered from propaganda for my empathy for Israel even though I did not once say that I supported them, I only empathised with the loses - I made it clear that I was just analysing this from a curious Politics student. I explained myself over and over but they kept on saying how my points were invalid apart from a few - but it made me feel stupid. I did watch hours of videos and read multiple articles online ranging from different sources so I could see this conflict from different perspectives - I tried my best to be educated in this conflict and even if I was misinformed, I would have loved it if my friend would have just approached it in a friendlier manner like I was just their friend and not a supporter and I would have loved to learn from her intellect and wise nature.

But I'm left distraught, stupid, and have felt like I have just lost a friend. And it wasn't even that we disagreed on the Israel-Palestine conflict - we analysed things similarly, but I think she really hated my British foreign policy of just not getting involved and also my empathy towards the people who lost their lives in the recent attacks. I don't want to lose this friendship but I dont know how to ever approach them again if all they see in me is a political disagreement and not the 10 years we spent talking about books, classes, teachers, e.t.c.

Hello. You have just lost a friendship. I understand that you feel you weren’t in the wrong but you need to see things from her side too. She’s and many other Muslims are going through an incredibly emotional time right now with the death count rises every minute in Palestine. How much she feel seeing her “friend” post something to do with Israel. Of course you were just empathising with that israelis deaths but what about that Palestinian deaths she is sad over too. Understand? Try and see it from her perspective too! Yeah maybe you were just seeing it from a politic perspective or whatever but that’s why you be careful about what you are posting.

point is that your friend is witnessing an ethic genocide mate, try and have some empathy for her. Palestinians are being literally slaughtered. I’m not here to convince or change your mind coz what u support doesn’t bother me. But there’s a lesson to be learnt here, don’t post things that you don’t have 100% knowledge about, see how you’ve hurt your friend as a result.
Reply 4
Original post by Idkwhattopick
Hello. You have just lost a friendship. I understand that you feel you weren’t in the wrong but you need to see things from her side too. She’s and many other Muslims are going through an incredibly emotional time right now with the death count rises every minute in Palestine. How much she feel seeing her “friend” post something to do with Israel. Of course you were just empathising with that israelis deaths but what about that Palestinian deaths she is sad over too. Understand? Try and see it from her perspective too! Yeah maybe you were just seeing it from a politic perspective or whatever but that’s why you be careful about what you are posting.

point is that your friend is witnessing an ethic genocide mate, try and have some empathy for her. Palestinians are being literally slaughtered. I’m not here to convince or change your mind coz what u support doesn’t bother me. But there’s a lesson to be learnt here, don’t post things that you don’t have 100% knowledge about, see how you’ve hurt your friend as a result.

Yeah I second this, although the mass murders go are towards Israel mainly this time, not to mention to rise of anti-Semitism. But this is a very touchy subject, so it's better to avoid it and just be really understanding. People with their heritage linked with the country in question, it's natural to side with them. Although this war is already doing enough damage, so why add losing a friendship to that?

However, I would find it hard to understand someone who is ignorant to the 100s brutally killed in Israel, not to mention non-Israelis. In addition to the demonization of Israel due to using weapons only for defense.

When China takes over the Philippines and the West focuses on western problems and does not intervene, you can analyse that too as a politics student.
(edited 6 months ago)

i think this is a crude way to put it but imagine if you were in 1940s germany n you were tryna weigh out the 'politics and conflict' between nazis and jews with your jewish freind.,, yeah wouldnt go down so well would it broski
Original post by Wired_1800
When China takes over the Philippines and the West focuses on western problems and does not intervene, you can analyse that too as a politics student.

i’m actually dyinggggg😂😂 i love this 🤣

you spent 10 years talkin ab books, classes and teachers-
Reply 9

let them go and forget about the number of years. some friendships forged in shorter periods of time can be stronger than friendships of many years simply because of better communication, mutual agreement on political topics, willingness to try fix an argument, etc (believe me ik 😭😭) it’s pretty sad that your friend said all that, i’m really sorry. some people no matter how hard you try won’t change their minds though.
Reply 10
Original post by Dazza07h
Yeah I second this, although the mass murders go are towards Israel mainly this time, not to mention to rise of anti-Semitism. But this is a very touchy subject, so it's better to avoid it and just be really understanding. People with their heritage linked with the country in question, it's natural to side with them. Although this war is already doing enough damage, so why add losing a friendship to that?

However, I would find it hard to understand someone who is ignorant to the 100s brutally killed in Israel, not to mention non-Israelis. In addition to the demonization of Israel due to using weapons only for defense.

i think you need to look at shaunking on instagram… israel is committing literal genocide and war crimes. palestine are the ones trying to defend themselves and get their own territory back from israel, not the other way around?
Reply 11
Original post by aliaa03
i think you need to look at shaunking on instagram… israel is committing literal genocide and war crimes. palestine are the ones trying to defend themselves and get their own territory back from israel, not the other way around?

Israel has had claim to the territory for thousands of years? But until the 20th century it got complicated, as jews started to go back to their land of heritage, which many left due to conflicts, so tell me who has a better claim to this land? Israel is committing atrocities, yes, not denying, but whatever they do is in response to the terrorist group of Hamas. Did you not hear about the 1000s killed in Israel? Babies slaughtered, children abducted? After this Israel decided to retaliate, if they do not defend themselves they will be wiped out. However both sides are to blame in many areas, so this isn't as binary as you state.
Israel has had claim to the territory for thousands of years? But until the 20th century it got complicated, as jews started to go back to their land of heritage, which many left due to conflicts, so tell me who has a better claim to this land? Israel is committing atrocities, yes, not denying, but whatever they do is in response to the terrorist group of Hamas. Did you not hear about the 1000s killed in Israel? Babies slaughtered, children abducted? After this Israel decided to retaliate, if they do not defend themselves they will be wiped out. However both sides are to blame in many areas, so this isn't as binary as you state.

You are simply regurgitating what CNN and fox news say bro your thinking exactly as how they want you to think broooooo i wana CRY
Reply 13
You are simply regurgitating what CNN and fox news say bro your thinking exactly as how they want you to think broooooo i wana CRY

I could say the same thing for you with whatever news you watch, but lol i dont actually watch those news tbh bbc and guardian? and maybe al jazeera as a different perspective is good. Plus i didnt say if i supported either, i just like tried to balance it a bit, cus both have good claims

but like is there smth wrong with the things i said?
(edited 6 months ago)
Reply 14
Yh I just realised that some conflicts are better to be avoided. I don't want to agree with this because I think we should always be open to discussion but clearly some people are more concerned with throwing hands than actually talking.

i think this is a crude way to put it but imagine if you were in 1940s germany n you were tryna weigh out the 'politics and conflict' between nazis and jews with your jewish freind.,, yeah wouldnt go down so well would it broski

Let them go, it sounds hard but if she isnt willing to open her mind or listen and hear you out, then what kind of friend is she
I could say the same thing for you with whatever news you watch, but lol i dont actually watch those news tbh bbc and guardian? and maybe al jazeera as a different perspective is good. Plus i didnt say if i supported either, i just like tried to balance it a bit, cus both have good claims

but like is there smth wrong with the things i said?

bro i get you in general for conflicts or issues theres often both sides right and wrong there can be a balance, but here this is not the case man. Here its blatant excuses from israel to wipe out gaza so they can grab the land they were just waiting for the right excuse comeone theyve bombed it again and again oh this time it was a rocket etc i would not be surprised if they orchestrated the so called hamas attack or let it happen atleast cus fr i swear that border was guarded as hellllllll you couldnt walk 2 feet without some 19 year old with an Ak 14 they blatantly hate palestiniaans man its racism at its fineeeeeeeeeeest at its peaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaak i could say sm more and be better at articulatin but im in a rush i acc would like to follwo up with you cus you dont seem bad have a great day xx
Let them go, it sounds hard but if she isnt willing to open her mind or listen and hear you out, then what kind of friend is she

PRSOM
Reply 18
bro i get you in general for conflicts or issues theres often both sides right and wrong there can be a balance, but here this is not the case man. Here its blatant excuses from israel to wipe out gaza so they can grab the land they were just waiting for the right excuse comeone theyve bombed it again and again oh this time it was a rocket etc i would not be surprised if they orchestrated the so called hamas attack or let it happen atleast cus fr i swear that border was guarded as hellllllll you couldnt walk 2 feet without some 19 year old with an Ak 14 they blatantly hate palestiniaans man its racism at its fineeeeeeeeeeest at its peaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaak i could say sm more and be better at articulatin but im in a rush i acc would like to follwo up with you cus you dont seem bad have a great day xx

Hello, this is the person who originally posted this thread. After my fallout with my friend, I watched a few more videos online, particularly from Firepost on YT (I chose them over other channels because they are very unbiased, tell the facts and actually are doing a gr8 job at presenting balanced views). Though I still believe there are more things to learn, I absolutely still feel sad for ALL of the lives lost here. I disagree with Israel attacking Gaza with heavy military force (but I cannot deny the immense weight it must have on a collective of people who have just been violently attacked and the anger that must have ensued - Israel striking back was predictable). Interestingly, I found out that most Palestinians don't even want to be represented by Hamas. Still, at this point, Palestinians have no choice if they want to survive, which is to support them reluctantly. I pray for the Palestinians in Gaza because, from what I've heard and seen from Firepost, Hamas uses their own people, buildings and sacred religious sites to draw in their enemies and plant bombs, which is absolutely evil. All in all, both sides and their militaries and governments are committing horrible crimes - one side is doing it for revenge, the other is for freedom, but both are tragically stuck in a conflict with innocents both being killed as a consequence of horrible politics, military radicalism and ethnic clashes. People believe that this stemmed from just a hundred years ago after WW2 and Britain drafting that infamous 'settlement', but it really goes far...its always been between religion and different ethnic clashes. This conflict not only kills people but also friendships (I know because I experienced it) - and though I am grateful there are a few replies here giving me actual advice, there are still a few people here acting so heated and against one another that it makes me disappointed.
Original post by londonmyst
PRSOM

what does that mean

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending