The Student Room Group
Founders Building, Royal Holloway
Royal Holloway
Egham
Visit website

Mature students applying for RHUL

Hey,
I have applied for Royal Holloway to study psychology. I'm a mature student currently on an access to HE course. I wanted to know if any one can give me some advice on how mature students are assessed? I have heard many times that we are looked at differently to A Levels students because some of s may have been out of education for 20 years and its not fair to compare to A levellers.
Now, my problem is this... I was taken out of school early due to bullying, which meant I couldn't complete my GCSES. Universities want 5 GCSE's so I'm doing Maths, Psychology, sociology and RE alongside my Access course. In a hope that it shows dedication and how much I really want to go to to university.
My problem is that I so desperately want to go to RHUL as its really close to my home, and I have heard great things about it and the psychology department.
RHUL require a B grade in maths GCSE, I'm doing foundation so I can only get a C or lower..
I want to know whether, if the rest of my application meets requirements, whether not having a B in maths will let me down or if they can be lenient on these things?
I did an Access course and I got a D GCSE in Maths, but I'm doing History so I suppose its not really essential for that. Have you attended the open days or spoken to anyone regarding admissions?

Edit: Ah, I think you've sorted it out. :smile:
(edited 9 years ago)
Founders Building, Royal Holloway
Royal Holloway
Egham
Visit website
Original post by Amy_B2014
Hey,
I have applied for Royal Holloway to study psychology. I'm a mature student currently on an access to HE course. I wanted to know if any one can give me some advice on how mature students are assessed? I have heard many times that we are looked at differently to A Levels students because some of s may have been out of education for 20 years and its not fair to compare to A levellers.
Now, my problem is this... I was taken out of school early due to bullying, which meant I couldn't complete my GCSES. Universities want 5 GCSE's so I'm doing Maths, Psychology, sociology and RE alongside my Access course. In a hope that it shows dedication and how much I really want to go to to university.
My problem is that I so desperately want to go to RHUL as its really close to my home, and I have heard great things about it and the psychology department.
RHUL require a B grade in maths GCSE, I'm doing foundation so I can only get a C or lower..
I want to know whether, if the rest of my application meets requirements, whether not having a B in maths will let me down or if they can be lenient on these things?

Hi,

I've just finished my first year studying English at ROHO as a mature student. Firstly I would say to call your specific department and explain your situation to them as see what they say as each department will differ in their expectations.

I also had to study GCSE's alongside my access course and I did not have the right GCSE for 1 subject but I was still accepted. I believe that life experience and your recent Access course will be more of interest to them than pointless (in my opinion) GCSE's.

Feel free to PM me if you have any further questions.

Good luck and all the best.
Reply 3
Original post by shereen_adams
Hi,

I've just finished my first year studying English at ROHO as a mature student. Firstly I would say to call your specific department and explain your situation to them as see what they say as each department will differ in their expectations.

I also had to study GCSE's alongside my access course and I did not have the right GCSE for 1 subject but I was still accepted. I believe that life experience and your recent Access course will be more of interest to them than pointless (in my opinion) GCSE's.

Feel free to PM me if you have any further questions.

Good luck and all the best.

Hey, thanks for replying. I got an offer in the end. :smile: So I decided to change to the higher paper in maths and go for a B as the department at Royal Holloway said that it's pretty much non negotiable. So I'm revising like crazy to get me there! Fingers crossed :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending