The Student Room Group

Fracking should be banned, says EAC

The Environmental Audit Committee, a cross-party group of MPs, have called for fracking to be banned because it will lead to further reliance on fossil fuels in a time when we need to be cutting our greenhouse gas emissions in line with legally binding targets.

This follows on from recent scientific research demonstrating that, in some cases, fracking may be worse for the environment than coal due to its residual methane emissions, and which also concluded that fracking represents a "bridge to nowhere". Anti-scientific ideologues are, however, pressing for fracking to go ahead.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-30955291

Scroll to see replies

What are the alternatives?
Reply 2
The reasons for the ban say it all, environmentalism at the cost of jobs and growth.
Reply 3
Original post by Native To Europe
What are the alternatives?

Nuclear for the base load and renewables on top.
Original post by Rakas21
Nuclear for the base load and renewables on top.

Renewables on top won't meet peak demand. Gas is the optimum solution for peak demand.

The sad fact is that renewables although playing a part in the national grid are a bit of a pain in the a**e as they're intermitent and unreliable.

The EAC hasn't actually reviews the emissions targets. All they've said is that they may not be hit.
tbh all cars should either be plug-ins or hybrids.
Reply 6
Original post by MatureStudent36
Renewables on top won't meet peak demand. Gas is the optimum solution for peak demand.

The sad fact is that renewables although playing a part in the national grid are a bit of a pain in the a**e as they're intermitent and unreliable.

The EAC hasn't actually reviews the emissions targets. All they've said is that they may not be hit.

For the time being I agree, we need to see development of monochromatic solar panels or an extension of the feeding grid to our Moroccan and Tunisian allies. It is theoretically possible to provide all heating from geothermal even in the UK though. Cost is still an issue though.

My preferred solution is to wait for a nation with a bigger population and economy to hit 75% renewable for the year as a whole. At that point, we can transition within a decade. Germany seems to be making the best progress.
Renewables on top

Cos we do it like pussies is why.

I say Dyson Sphere or bust.
Reply 8
Original post by Skip_Snip

We should start to see take up soon although there are still problems with range, the initial cost and the fact that the batteries only last about 5 years. The EU is rolling out charging stations though.
Original post by Rakas21
We should start to see take up soon although there are still problems with range, the initial cost and the fact that the batteries only last about 5 years. The EU is rolling out charging stations though.

To be fair, plenty of people change cars in less than five years, and/or never drive far enough for limited range to be an issue.

Would batteries be expensive to replace, especially in a hlaf-decade when they'll probably be more common?

An environmentally friendly Prius is more harmful to the environment than a Hummer.

http://www.ncpa.org/sub/dpd/index.php?Article_ID=14304
An environmentally friendly Prius is more harmful to the environment than a Hummer.

http://www.ncpa.org/sub/dpd/index.php?Article_ID=14304

Then I'll stick with Bulbasaur, my Nissan Leaf 8)
To be fair, plenty of people change cars in less than five years, and/or never drive far enough for limited range to be an issue.

Would batteries be expensive to replace, especially in a hlaf-decade when they'll probably be more common?

That's true but right now manufacturers are obligated to make cars that can last a decade. Again true, but Brits tend to as they older move to the suburbs or country, longer commutes are a result. There are also plenty who do motorway commutes or train commutes, these things need a lot of progress.

Well I think right now if you pay Renault 1k per year they will replace it and battery technology is improving, but that's still 5k spent that you would not have to spend with an oil fueled car.
Original post by Rakas21

Well I think right now if you pay Renault 1k per year they will replace it and battery technology is improving, but that's still 5k spent that you would not have to spend with an oil fueled car.

As well as no road tax 8)
True but that's not much and government will slap tax on it once electric vehicles take over eventually.
Reply 15
Original post by Rakas21
The reasons for the ban say it all, environmentalism at the cost of jobs and growth.

On the contrary, it's refreshing to see a group of politicians departing, for once, from the obsession with short-term, unsustainable growth at the expense of ruining our planet.
Reply 16
Fracking should be banned, says anyone with a conscious.

Should be updated title.
Original post by NHM713
Fracking should be banned, says anyone with a conscious.

Should be updated title.

(*conscience?)
Reply 18
Original post by anosmianAcrimony
(*conscience?)

tomato/tomatoe = you still understand me.
Original post by NHM713
tomato/tomatoe = you still understand me.

I still understood you, but it's more like tomato/potato - they mean completely different things.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending