The Student Room Group

Basic integration help!?

postimage.org/image/mbr8zdjo7/
So I cant do III) at all.
You see my integration at the bottom, maybe it's wrong? Cab someone please help!?
I'm sure it's basic when you know it, but i'm teaching myself and have only been learning for under a day!
Thanks
Remember to divide by the new power and that a constant would become Cx.
Well if you find the area between x=0, x=3 and the curve f(x) then you can work out the shaded area by removing the calculated area from the area of the whole rectangle which you should be able to see is 15.

So you need to calculate 03f(x)dx\int_0^3 f(x) dx do you know how to do this?
Reply 3
Original post by Danny.L
postimage.org/image/mbr8zdjo7/
So I cant do III) at all.
You see my integration at the bottom, maybe it's wrong? Cab someone please help!?
I'm sure it's basic when you know it, but i'm teaching myself and have only been learning for under a day!
Thanks

3 integrates to 3x
your notation is also incorrect
Reply 4
Original post by TeeEm
3 integrates to 3x
your notation is also incorrect

It may be useful to help op with the Correct notation then.

Basically you have the integral sign then the thing you want to integrate then dx (which reads as with respect to x or swap it to d? If integrating by anothe letter)

After the integration you are left with the integrated expression with no integral sign. And you eventually put square brackets around it with upper and lower limits or just put +c if you don't know the limits!
Original post by Bob2222

Basically you have the integral sign then the thing you want to integrate then dx (which reads as with respect to x or swap it to d? If integrating by anothe letter)

After the integration you are left with the integrated expression with no integral sign. And you eventually put square brackets around it with upper and lower limits or just put +c if you don't know the limits!

He is providing help for free and dedicates a lot of his time here and is just generally a cool/smart guy so why don't you get of his case. If you want to explain the notation then do this but dont quote him you peasant.
Reply 6
Original post by Bob2222

thank you ...

tensionado-hacia-fuera-16725752.jpg
Reply 7
Original post by Mathsz0r
Remember to divide by the new power and that a constant would become Cx.

A good way to look at this is 3 being the same as 3x^0 ( anything to the power of zero is one)...

So if you integrate add one to the power and it becomes 3x^1 or and dividing by one does not alter the coefficient. :smile:
Reply 8
Original post by poorform
He is providing help for free and dedicates a lot of his time here and is just generally a cool/smart guy so why don't you get of his case. If you want to explain the notation then do this but dont quote him you peasant.

Yes I would agree TeeEm is helpful. Then there are the other ignorant people...
Reply 9
Original post by Bob2222
Yes I would agree TeeEm is helpful. Then there are the other ignorant people...

Original post by TeeEm
thank you ...

tensionado-hacia-fuera-16725752.jpg

Original post by poorform

Original post by Bob2222

RELAX EVERYBODY

there is no offence taken place ...

bob2222 accidentally replied to me instead to the OP, hence my reply "thank you" and me pulling my hair out ... (JOKE)
Reply 10
Appreciate the help.
The bickering, not so much. Do that in a PM, please.

Quick Reply

Latest