The Student Room Group

Logarithm equation help

Having some trouble with one question to do with logs.
(note, logs are all to the base 10)

Solve for x:

log(19x) = 3.9 - 2.1x

I just don't know how to tackle it with the "non-logged" x on the RHS

if it was just logA = B i would say A = 10^B but that doesn't help me find what x is.

I'm not asking anyone to do the question for me, but a step in the right direction would be appreciated.
Original post by SteveMcs
Having some trouble with one question to do with logs.
(note, logs are all to the base 10)

Solve for x:

log(19x) = 3.9 - 2.1x

I just don't know how to tackle it with the "non-logged" x on the RHS

if it was just logA = B i would say A = 10^B but that doesn't help me find what x is.

I'm not asking anyone to do the question for me, but a step in the right direction would be appreciated.

Are you sure that this is the question as it would be solved using numerical rather than algebraic methods
Reply 2
Original post by TenOfThem
Are you sure that this is the question as it would be solved using numerical rather than algebraic methods

100% sure. Only way i could think was by graphing both sides and giving an approximation but they want the answer to 2 dp. I don't think i'd be able to give an approximation that accurate.
100% sure. Only way i could think was by graphing both sides and giving an approximation but they want the answer to 2 dp. I don't think i'd be able to give an approximation that accurate.

What course are you doing?
Reply 4
This isn't actually for my course. I'm doing BSc Actuarial Science. But this is for my partner who's doing a Numerical Skills for Scientists module in Environmental Earth Science
Reply 5
I got the answer in this example to be 1.21 to 2dp as there is a sign change when subbing x=1.205 and x=1.21. There's got to be an easier way of solving this?
Reply 6
I got the answer in this example to be 1.21 to 2dp as there is a sign change when subbing x=1.205 and x=1.21. There's got to be an easier way of solving this?

There isn't an exact method for solving an equation like this so some form of numerical approximation or iterative process is going to be necessary. Has your partner been taught specific methods that are to be used in cases like this, because it's almost certainly going to be just a case of choosing the right numerical method :smile:

The easiest way is to use iteration. You need to rearrange the equation into the form xn+1=f(xn)x_{n+1}=f(x_n).

In the case a suitable rearrangement is xn+1=3.9log10(19xn)2.1x_{n+1}=\frac{3.9-\log_{10} (19x_n)}{2.1}

Type 1 = into your calculator.

Now type 3.9log(19ANS)2.1\frac{3.9-\log (19 ANS)}{2.1} and press = a few times.

Quick Reply

Latest