The Student Room Group

My grow your grades journal 🎀 ~ as a year 12

Hi anyone who reads this!

I'm a current year 12 student who takes Biology (AQA), Chemistry (OCR B Salters), Maths (OCR A) and an EPQ.

I thought that I would start a 'grow your grades' page as I did terribly in my recent mocks (CDD) and just to preface, I achieved mostly 9s/8s at GCSE so it reallyyyy got to me. I want to study Biomedical Science at Oxford, so if I get grades like that then I'm going nowhere.

But I know I got those grades due to a lack of effort, so hopefully by posting here I'll be keeping myself accountable and get a considerable amount of revision done as the weeks pass.

I'd appreciate any tips on what to do better as I document my days! And don't hesitate to criticise me whenever (just keep it civil ofc).
(edited 1 month ago)
Day One - 23/03/24

Worked on my EPQ Presentation for Monday (making it look pretty basically)

Making cue cards for Monday

Worked on my dissertation, acting on the feedback my supervisor gave me previously (she lowkey called it trash)

Doing some mechanics questions for maths because that's my worst topic

I can't lie I had a two hour nap which wasn't the best decision. I'm fasting as well, so I find it a bit hard to concentrate when I do any work. BUT I WILL DO IT 😭. Hopefully tonight I'll be able to further work on my dissertation.

Checklist for tomorrow: ~ semi-completed

Reherse my presentation and get familiar with my cue cards

Write notes on WM2 (chemistry)

Work on logarithms using simultaneous equations

Do more mechanics questions if I feel like torturing myself 😔

(edited 1 month ago)
Original post by grilledtomatoess
Day One - 23/03/24

Worked on my EPQ Presentation for Monday (making it look pretty basically)

Making cue cards for Monday

Worked on my dissertation, acting on the feedback my supervisor gave me previously (she lowkey called it trash)

Doing some mechanics questions for maths because that's my worst topic

I can't lie I had a two hour nap which wasn't the best decision. I'm fasting as well, so I find it a bit hard to concentrate when I do any work. BUT I WILL DO IT 😭. Hopefully tonight I'll be able to further work on my dissertation.
Checklist for tomorrow:

Reherse my presentation and get familiar with my cue cards

Write notes on WM2 (chemistry)

Work on logarithms using simultaneous equations

Do more mechanics questions if I feel like torturing myself 😔

hi good luck with your revision today ! i take the same subjects as you :biggrin:
Hi, tip I’ve seen from other gyg blogs is to document your daily hours of revision - keeps you accountable and shows you what you need to work on! Also if you’re ever stuck on like some form or content or study method ask in here and most people will try and help. I’m y12 and take bio chem maths and fm so I can always try and help too lol if I know it myself.
Original post by azure000
hi good luck with your revision today ! i take the same subjects as you :biggrin:

Hii, thank you! I hope you're finding maths better than I am 😭
Original post by study23!
Hi, tip I’ve seen from other gyg blogs is to document your daily hours of revision - keeps you accountable and shows you what you need to work on! Also if you’re ever stuck on like some form or content or study method ask in here and most people will try and help. I’m y12 and take bio chem maths and fm so I can always try and help too lol if I know it myself.

That's smarttt, thank you for the tip :biggrin:. I'll defo ask if I need help!
Hi anyone who reads this!
I'm a current year 12 student who takes Biology (AQA), Chemistry (OCR B Salters), Maths (OCR A) and an EPQ.
I thought that I would start a 'grow your grades' page as I did terribly in my recent mocks (CDD) and just to preface, I achieved mostly 9s/8s at GCSE so it reallyyyy got to me. I want to study Biomedical Science at Oxford, so if I get grades like that then I'm going nowhere.
But I know I got those grades due to a lack of effort, so hopefully by posting here I'll be keeping myself accountable and get a considerable amount of revision done as the weeks pass.
I'd appreciate any tips on what to do better as I document my days! And don't hesitate to criticise me whenever (just keep it civil ofc).

Heyy I'm doing History, Latin, Geography, Spanish and EPQ too! I really want to study Law at Cambridge so we should definitely become online besties and keep each other accountable :smile: x
Day Two - 24/03/24

Added the final touches for my presentation and emailed it (pressing that send button took some time 😭)

Also wrote a script on what to say for tomorrow

Planned answers to potential questions I might be asked

Did some logarithms questions

Started WM2 notes (unfinished)

Overall: Around three and a half hours
Aim: Four hours or more

I think I should space my work out, like do some in the morning and then some in the evening because it just gets wayyy too much sitting down for like two hours. I'm going to try the pomodoro technique as well and see how that works out. Anddd those mechanics questions definitely weren't done today but I have four frees tomorrow, so I'll do some then.

Checklist for tomorrow:

Those mechanics questions

Whatever maths is set in the morning

EPQ dissertation

Finish the WM2 notes

WM1 questions

Notes on meiosis

Original post by freyafredriksson
Heyy I'm doing History, Latin, Geography, Spanish and EPQ too! I really want to study Law at Cambridge so we should definitely become online besties and keep each other accountable :smile: x

That's such a cool subject combo! What's your EPQ on? And I commend you for doing Latin - I hated the literature section at GCSE so could never do it at A-Level. Andd we should defo keep each other accountable :smile:
Day Two - 24/03/24

Added the final touches for my presentation and emailed it (pressing that send button took some time 😭)

Also wrote a script on what to say for tomorrow

Planned answers to potential questions I might be asked

Did some logarithms questions

Started WM2 notes (unfinished)

Overall: Around three and a half hours
Aim: Four hours or more
I think I should space my work out, like do some in the morning and then some in the evening because it just gets wayyy too much sitting down for like two hours. I'm going to try the pomodoro technique as well and see how that works out. Anddd those mechanics questions definitely weren't done today but I have four frees tomorrow, so I'll do some then.
Checklist for tomorrow:

Those mechanics questions

Whatever maths is set in the morning

EPQ dissertation

Finish the WM2 notes

WM1 questions

Notes on meiosis

Yess I always use the Pomodoro technique and I use an app called Study Bunny which really helps haha and good luck with your EPQ presentation, you'll do amazing! Just pretend you're Obama lol
That's such a cool subject combo! What's your EPQ on? And I commend you for doing Latin - I hated the literature section at GCSE so could never do it at A-Level. Andd we should defo keep each other accountable :smile:

Haha thank you and I'm doing it on the educational attainment of deaf children and why accessibility is super important! What is yours on? I'm the only student doing Latin A-level its so funny and yes the literature is hard my god
Yess I always use the Pomodoro technique and I use an app called Study Bunny which really helps haha and good luck with your EPQ presentation, you'll do amazing! Just pretend you're Obama lol

Ooo alright, I'll defo look into it. And thank you! I'll keep Obama in mind loll
Haha thank you and I'm doing it on the educational attainment of deaf children and why accessibility is super important! What is yours on? I'm the only student doing Latin A-level its so funny and yes the literature is hard my god

Woahh that's a good topic, there's a lot to right about for yours! Mine is about whether developments in a gene editing technology called CRISPR can cause negative impacts in those with disablities related to mobility. And I'm not surprised that you're the only one doing Latin, we only have two in my year 😂
Woahh that's a good topic, there's a lot to right about for yours! Mine is about whether developments in a gene editing technology called CRISPR can cause negative impacts in those with disablities related to mobility. And I'm not surprised that you're the only one doing Latin, we only have two in my year 😂

Wow that’s an amazing topic too! That must be so interesting and the good thing about both of our EPQs is that no one else would be doing them (most likely) so we can get an even better mark as they’re original and unique. That’s so funny I wish I had at least one other person but it is what it is🥲
Wow that’s an amazing topic too! That must be so interesting and the good thing about both of our EPQs is that no one else would be doing them (most likely) so we can get an even better mark as they’re original and unique. That’s so funny I wish I had at least one other person but it is what it is🥲

Thank youu, and hopefully we will end up getting a better mark (fingers crossed). And think of your Latin lessons like a free private tutor as you're getting all of your teacher's attention 😂
Day Three - 25/03/24

If i'm being honest, there isn't a point in me making a checklist of what i did today. I didn't do much at all but i'll start with the positives from my dayy.

I did my EPQ presentation! My audience was actually engaged with my topic and people said after that they were fascinated by my topic and even asked more questions afterrr (yes i'm gassed)

Then I was making flyers for the gardening society that i'm part of (i'm head of marketing), so we were also looking at tiktok sounds we could use when we post what we do in the society. Trust me, it's harder than it seems 😭

Then i had a SURPRISE mock interview 😔, i couldn't say no when he asked. That interview was a longgg story but overall i supposedly did well. BUT he asked some weird questions at the end like if i would rather be a vampire or a zombie. So weird

ANDDD i also got into in2science with a placement in neuroscience, so that's coollll. I can't wait to finally get experience in a lab and see how it is!

And then for the bad things as sugarcoating life wouldn't do my blog or whatever justice. I got told some awful things so just couldn't do work today apart from the few notes and questions i had done in school.

But it's okay, i'll defo get through it - that's just life

Checklist for tomorrow:

No frees so complete all hw set (a given)

Do questions on exponential graphs after getting my head around it

Do maths uplearn on logarithms and exponentials (100xp at least)

Chemistry practical write-up

Day Three - 25/03/24
If i'm being honest, there isn't a point in me making a checklist of what i did today. I didn't do much at all but i'll start with the positives from my dayy.

I did my EPQ presentation! My audience was actually engaged with my topic and people said after that they were fascinated by my topic and even asked more questions afterrr (yes i'm gassed)

Then I was making flyers for the gardening society that i'm part of (i'm head of marketing), so we were also looking at tiktok sounds we could use when we post what we do in the society. Trust me, it's harder than it seems 😭

Then i had a SURPRISE mock interview 😔, i couldn't say no when he asked. That interview was a longgg story but overall i supposedly did well. BUT he asked some weird questions at the end like if i would rather be a vampire or a zombie. So weird

ANDDD i also got into in2science with a placement in neuroscience, so that's coollll. I can't wait to finally get experience in a lab and see how it is!

And then for the bad things as sugarcoating life wouldn't do my blog or whatever justice. I got told some awful things so just couldn't do work today apart from the few notes and questions i had done in school.

But it's okay, i'll defo get through it - that's just life

Checklist for tomorrow:

No frees so complete all hw set (a given)

Do questions on exponential graphs after getting my head around it

Do maths uplearn on logarithms and exponentials (100xp at least)

Chemistry practical write-up

Heyy well done on the presentation! Aw I'm sorry to hear something bad happened, I really hope it gets better xx
Heyy well done on the presentation! Aw I'm sorry to hear something bad happened, I really hope it gets better xx

Thank youu, and I'm sure everything will end up being alright in the end anyways xx
I forgot to post day three yesterday so I'll do it today!

Day Three - 26/02/24

WM2 questions

Exponential graph notes

Species calculations

EPQ dissertation

Gardening Society marketing (how did our first tiktok get over 1k views???)

Overall: 4 hours (quite proud tbh)

GUYS I GOT A B IN MY CHEMISTRY END OF TOPICCCC but I was one mark off of an A 😭. BUT we haven't actually gone through the test yet, so when we do I'll defo find that one extra mark.

Checklist for tomorrow (today):

WM3 notes + questions

Exponential graph questions

Finish all my hw before easter break

Do some biology chapter 10 notes

I forgot to post day three yesterday so I'll do it today!
Day Three - 26/02/24

WM2 questions

Exponential graph notes

Species calculations

EPQ dissertation

Gardening Society marketing (how did our first tiktok get over 1k views???)

Overall: 4 hours (quite proud tbh)
GUYS I GOT A B IN MY CHEMISTRY END OF TOPICCCC but I was one mark off of an A 😭. BUT we haven't actually gone through the test yet, so when we do I'll defo find that one extra mark.
Checklist for tomorrow (today):

WM3 notes + questions

Exponential graph questions

Finish all my hw before easter break

Do some biology chapter 10 notes

academic weapon 😎 come back and update on how it went!!! i'm looking forward to it

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending