The Student Room Group

The 2015 Six Nations Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by O133
Agree, but hope 4 and 5 can swap over with a home win tomorrow.

Same haha.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Let's keep our eyes on Joseph - he's our hidden gem. Our defence socks need to be pulled up for next time - we can do it if we just remain consistent and focused.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Woo! O'Brien! My namesake.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I can only watch the first 30 mins, because FA Cup.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Obiejess
I can only watch the first 30 mins, because FA Cup.

Posted from TSR Mobile

It's all finished now but I'm catching on sky+ - sure you can get highlights on tv later or bbc website!

Posted from TSR Mobile
As a neutral, there are some dreadful decisions in this game. Shouldn't have been a yellow card for Russell, then blatant obstruction by Davies, thinking he was playing american football. I was shocked and appalled that that try stood.

This Has to be a yellow card now
Original post by cole-slaw
As a neutral, there are some dreadful decisions in this game. Shouldn't have been a yellow card for Russell, then blatant obstruction by Davies, thinking he was playing american football. I was shocked and appalled that that try stood.

This Has to be a yellow card now

I disagree with what Jiffy said in commentary. If Russell hadn't turned around and had held his hands out to wait to catch the ball it becomes a fair contest and play on. As he turned around and brought Biggar down head first he's lucky to avoid red for me.

Davies was fine though, he was behind the ball carrier. His yellow should probably have been penalty only. He does wrap his arm around the man but it's nothing major.
Original post by O133
I disagree with what Jiffy said in commentary. If Russell hadn't turned around and had held his hands out to wait to catch the ball it becomes a fair contest and play on. As he turned around and brought Biggar down head first he's lucky to avoid red for me.

Davies was fine though, he was behind the ball carrier. His yellow should probably have been penalty only. He does wrap his arm around the man but it's nothing major.

He's gone for the ball, and then seen williams flying towards him and done everything possible to get out of the way.

Williams basically jumped up and kneed him in the face. Ridiculous decision.

Just because you're behind the ball carrier doesn't mean you're not deliberately running a blocking line. You watch the replay, his eyes are on Bennett the whole time, making sure he is blocking him off. Its professional and cynical foul play.
Just because you're behind the ball carrier doesn't mean you're not deliberately running a blocking line. You watch the replay, his eyes are on Bennett the whole time, making sure he is blocking him off. Its professional and cynical foul play.

Or is he just a supporting player? You can't stop a player running a supporting line.
Original post by O133
Or is he just a supporting player? You can't stop a player running a supporting line.

You have to judge his intent. The fact that he was looking at the tackler rather than the ball carrier tells you what his intention is in running that line.
Jenkins in at the side there, Scotland being brutally ****ed in the ear by the ref in this game. They've been by far the better team in this game, but every time they get near the ball, the referee makes another ludicrous decision.
Wow! The Welsh defence at the goal line has been superb so far today.
Basic skills are just not there for Scotland this week.
Jenkins in at the side there, Scotland being brutally ****ed in the ear by the ref in this game. They've been by far the better team in this game, but every time they get near the ball, the referee makes another ludicrous decision.

Jackson looks out of his depth. You can tell he's been fast-tracked into the job.
Smack a bloke on the head to stop him scoring a clear try? yellow card? penalty try? Either one or the other I would suggest.
Smack a bloke on the head to stop him scoring a clear try? yellow card? penalty try? Either one or the other I would suggest.

Good shout for one. I refer you to my comments about the referee - match official appointments don't seem to be done on a neutral basis.
****ing ridiculous game. Scotland should have won that by 10-20 points. Numerous extremely poor refereeing decisions.

Scotland have a considerably better rugby team than Wales.
Glen Jackson just can't avoid controversy in this game
Poor refereeing from Glen Jackson throughout, with both teams warranting a yellow card at points in the match (Scotland first half penalties in the 22, Wales second half penalties in the 22). Incredibly inconsistent.

Good win for Wales though, it was a much better performance than last week. We need to work on our set play though as the scrums and line-outs still look very wobbly.
I do wonder about some of these international ref appointments, and for New Zealand to not have a better referee than Glen Jackson is a real embarrassment for them.

There is enormous bias it would appear in match official appointments, with the IRB's Head of Refereeing, Joël Jutge, being French, there seems to be a lot of favouring of French officials.

These are the top French refs with their English equivalents:
Romain Poite - Wayne Barnes
Jérôme Garcès - JP Doyle (I think these two are the best in their nations but the IRB seem to disagree)
Pascal Gauzère - Luke Pearce
Mathieu Raynal - Greg Garner
With the emboldened ones getting fairly regular appointments at elite international level. Poite, Garcès and Barnes (and arguably Gauzère now) are established international refs who will doubtless make the World Cup list. I don't feel that the French refs are any better than their English "equivalents", in fact the standard of reffing in French club rugby is pretty poor, so the question remains why they get the appointments.

Rant over. Apologies to everyone who doesn't follow club rugby as this will have gone right over your head!

Quick Reply

Latest