The Student Room Group

New vision university Georgia

Hey i was wondering if i was to do the online medicine course from new vision university and then could i get a transfer to any of the universities in Bulgaria, Romania or Poland for example as new vision university is on GMC’s grey list

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Taayba786
Hey i was wondering if i was to do the online medicine course from new vision university and then could i get a transfer to any of the universities in Bulgaria, Romania or Poland for example as new vision university is on GMC’s grey list

Nvu is black listed so the year you would’ve studied there doesn’t count, why would you waste your time?
Hi, I'm planning to study medicine in Georgia(country) in the spring session next year. I've tried checking whether the universities that I want to go to are GMC accredited or not but I can't find any accurate information. From private universities I'm thinking of either Georgian National University SEU or Alte University. But I would still prefer to go to a state university like Ivane Javakhishvili university or Ilia State University. Could anybody who has insight on the universities in Georgia tell me which universities are GMC accredited.
Original post by Anonymous
Hi, I'm planning to study medicine in Georgia(country) in the spring session next year. I've tried checking whether the universities that I want to go to are GMC accredited or not but I can't find any accurate information. From private universities I'm thinking of either Georgian National University SEU or Alte University. But I would still prefer to go to a state university like Ivane Javakhishvili university or Ilia State University. Could anybody who has insight on the universities in Georgia tell me which universities are GMC accredited.

GMC doesn’t accredit overseas medical qualifications, however, you can check GMC lists of ‘may accept’ and ‘do not accept’ qualifications on their website. Both Georgian National university SEU and Alte university are on grey list.
Yes I just checked the lists on their website, however all the universities of Georgia listed in the "we may accept" are private. Does that mean going to a state university of Georgia is a bad choice if I want to apply for the UKMLA in the future?

GMC doesn’t accredit overseas medical qualifications, however, you can check GMC lists of ‘may accept’ and ‘do not accept’ qualifications on their website. Both Georgian National university SEU and Alte university are on grey list.
Yes I just checked the lists on their website, however all the universities of Georgia listed in the "we may accept" are private. Does that mean going to a state university of Georgia is a bad choice if I want to apply for the UKMLA in the future?

I’d say just go to universities with track records of successful graduates to give you assurance. I wouldn’t personally gamble with my education, time and money on a university that has no graduates registered with GMC. Akaki Tsereteli State University, David Tvildiani Medical University, Petre Shotadze Tblisi Medical academy, Tbilisi Medical Institute, and Tbilisi State Medical University have graduate doctors currently registered with the GMC. Your best bet is Tbilisi state medical university.
I’d say just go to universities with track records of successful graduates to give you assurance. I wouldn’t personally gamble with my education, time and money on a university that has no graduates registered with GMC. Akaki Tsereteli State University, David Tvildiani Medical University, Petre Shotadze Tblisi Medical academy, Tbilisi Medical Institute, and Tbilisi State Medical University have graduate doctors currently registered with the GMC. Your best bet is Tbilisi state medical university.

Alright, thanks for the advice!
Original post by Taayba786

First, I would ignore all 'Anonymous' replies. It's the same guy tracking all Medlink school topics and keeps replying the same trash everywhere.

The Georgian school is on the 'maybe' list because of their Grad Entry programme. If you do the full degree, you are likely to be Ok. Unfortunately (as far as I know) in Georgia you don't get to touch a patient prior to your graduation. So, well...
When it comes to transfers it gets bit more complicated as most of the Med schools in Europe teach the same stuff, but they don't do it in the same order. So, (for example) if you try to transfer from year 3 in Georgia to year 4 in Poland, you might end up in year 2 again.
Original post by Bernard_Lowe
First, I would ignore all 'Anonymous' replies. It's the same guy tracking all Medlink school topics and keeps replying the same trash everywhere.

The Georgian school is on the 'maybe' list because of their Grad Entry programme. If you do the full degree, you are likely to be Ok. Unfortunately (as far as I know) in Georgia you don't get to touch a patient prior to your graduation. So, well...
When it comes to transfers it gets bit more complicated as most of the Med schools in Europe teach the same stuff, but they don't do it in the same order. So, (for example) if you try to transfer from year 3 in Georgia to year 4 in Poland, you might end up in year 2 again.

Oh ok, could you suggest which universities to apply to in Georgia?
And where would I be able to check records of universities' graduates who have successfully registered with the GMC?

I didn’t know New vision university is a medlink school. Also, if you are not aware, everyone can go to forum “International study” and new and existing threads with recent replies/posts get on top, not necessarily mean someone is tracking medlink school topics.
Oh ok, could you suggest which universities to apply to in Georgia?
And where would I be able to check records of universities' graduates who have successfully registered with the GMC?

You can use FOI - Freedom of Information request to ask GMC about the New Vision University. Make sure you spell everything correctly, as they tend to be very literal when it comes to their responses. I would not go to Georgia. If you can afford to pay for school in Poland or Czechia you would be much better off. Kyiv State Unviersity (once the war is over) seem a good pick too. Try to do school in EU if you can.
I didn’t know New vision university is a medlink school. Also, if you are not aware, everyone can go to forum “International study” and new and existing threads with recent replies/posts get on top, not necessarily mean someone is tracking medlink school topics.

That’s true but it’s a bit odd that all these replies are coming from Anon posters. Nothing being said is contentious, so it leads us to believe that people don’t want the comments being linked to the same small number of accounts.

If you have first hand experience of medlinks or specific unis, we would welcome you to share them. .
Original post by Admit-One
That’s true but it’s a bit odd that all these replies are coming from Anon posters. Nothing being said is contentious, so it leads us to believe that people don’t want the comments being linked to the same small number of accounts.

If you have first hand experience of medlinks or specific unis, we would welcome you to share them. .

I think he/she needs to stop throwing accusations especially if nothing being said on this thread is an attack/against a particular agency like what these other accounts have been doing. People can make their own judgement. Why is he/she so bothered that he/she would go as far as to say ignore all ‘anonymous’ replies?

Also, I think people can distinguish posts/accounts that are only here to defame certain agencies. Not once is medlink or any other agency been mentioned in this thread. What ‘thrash’ is he talking about?
Reply 13
From my personal experience, I started 3 years ago as a 4 year graduate entry medicine at NVU. We have been told that we have to do the full 6 years in order to be recognised by the GMC. However, SME continues to market false information on their website. For example, the graduate entry route is not recognised by the GMC, the Derby campus is not functional, there is no online studies now because pandemic is over unless you are critically ill or any other good reason and cannot travel to Tbilisi on time then they will give you online links in order for you to catch up on lectures. All lectures and practicals are currently offline. And there is patient contact during clinical years and you will have experience in different hospitals depending on which clinical modules you are taking. For example those taking paediatric will have placement in the children's hospital, those taking nephrology will have placement in the kidney dialysis hospital etc. Its not like the UK where every department is in one big hospital. The good thing is the university is well recognised in other parts of the world for the 6 years medicine degree and I hope that in the future the GMC will not change their mind about accepting the degree too. I know personally of 1 person who have graduated from NVU and took PLAB 1 this past November. But I heard they are other students who took PLAB 1 too from NVU. However, they all did the full 6 years medical degree.

Had it been I knew I will have to do the full 6 years, I would have gone to study in Bulgaria.

Just note, if you are planning to study at NVU, be ready to study for 6 years and be ready to relocate.
Original post by Teedy
From my personal experience, I started 3 years ago as a 4 year graduate entry medicine at NVU. We have been told that we have to do the full 6 years in order to be recognised by the GMC. However, SME continues to market false information on their website. For example, the graduate entry route is not recognised by the GMC, the Derby campus is not functional, there is no online studies now because pandemic is over unless you are critically ill or any other good reason and cannot travel to Tbilisi on time then they will give you online links in order for you to catch up on lectures. All lectures and practicals are currently offline. And there is patient contact during clinical years and you will have experience in different hospitals depending on which clinical modules you are taking. For example those taking paediatric will have placement in the children's hospital, those taking nephrology will have placement in the kidney dialysis hospital etc. Its not like the UK where every department is in one big hospital. The good thing is the university is well recognised in other parts of the world for the 6 years medicine degree and I hope that in the future the GMC will not change their mind about accepting the degree too. I know personally of 1 person who have graduated from NVU and took PLAB 1 this past November. But I heard they are other students who took PLAB 1 too from NVU. However, they all did the full 6 years medical degree.

Had it been I knew I will have to do the full 6 years, I would have gone to study in Bulgaria.

Just note, if you are planning to study at NVU, be ready to study for 6 years and be ready to relocate.

Just wanted to say thanks for sharing. It's really appreciated when people can detail their experience with NVU/SME rather than just badmouthing them without anything to back it up.

The last time someone was trying to defend SME the conversation went like this.

Them: Actually, they don't even advertise that uni on their website any more.
Me: It's right here on this page *link*
Them: Oh, erm...

:biggrin:
Original post by Teedy

This was actually quite helpful.
Reply 16
You can use FOI - Freedom of Information request to ask GMC about the New Vision University. Make sure you spell everything correctly, as they tend to be very literal when it comes to their responses. I would not go to Georgia. If you can afford to pay for school in Poland or Czechia you would be much better off. Kyiv State Unviersity (once the war is over) seem a good pick too. Try to do school in EU if you can.

Why is Kyiv state university a good pick? I was a little curious so I have done a bit of research and found that there are only 3 doctors in the medical register who graduated from this university and the last time a graduate granted their first registration with GMC was in 2020 and she graduated in 2015.
Original post by Kschu
Why is Kyiv state university a good pick? I was a little curious so I have done a bit of research and found that there are only 3 doctors in the medical register who graduated from this university and the last time a graduate granted their first registration with GMC was in 2020 and she graduated in 2015.

My old GP and his wife went there. That's pretty much how I know that this is even an option in the first place. Most of the students in Kyiv tend to be from India. I guess they just go home.
Reply 18
My old GP and his wife went there. That's pretty much how I know that this is even an option in the first place. Most of the students in Kyiv tend to be from India. I guess they just go home.

That would explain it. I just thought out of a number of universities that could’ve been recommended such as Bogomolets National Medical University, IYa Horbachevsky Ternopil National University, VN Karazin Kharkiv National University(just to name a few), of which have a good number of British graduates, Kyiv University wasn’t a university that I’ve heard of so I had to look it up.
Hi, so after asking advice from various agents and parents alike I've come down to two unis in Georgia for the medicine program, Ilia State University & University of Georgia. Which uni do you guys think is better for their medicine program? In terms of the equipments,quality of teaching, clinical exposure, support for postgraduation etc.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending