The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by fallen_acorns
china though...
So many chinese people..

Pahahahahaha :lol:
Original post by Tom_Ford
Don't get me wrong, I can be a bit of a nerd too with some of my interests, but I am not THAT bad. Kids who think they are the next Marx or something and have some left wing chip on their shoulders :rolleyes:.

Some of these student ''activists'' are hilarious. I remember when Thatcher died and there were loads of negative posts celebrating her death, how bad she was etc. Most of them couldn't name any of her policies without using Google, was brilliant seeing a few Tory supporters on my FB completely calling everyone out.
Reply 1142
Original post by sr90
Some of these student ''activists'' are hilarious. I remember when Thatcher died and there were loads of negative posts celebrating her death, how bad she was etc. Most of them couldn't name any of her policies without using Google, was brilliant seeing a few Tory supporters on my FB completely calling everyone out.

They are. In general aswel, people seem to go on about politics when they know absolutely nothing about it. I remember the days when my politics teacher used to rant about how many "experts" argue when the know **** all.

& you still get some people who rekon the age of voting should be lowered to 16 pahahaha.

I think it would make more sense to put it up to 21.
Original post by SA-1
They are. In general aswel, people seem to go on about politics when they know absolutely nothing about it. I remember the days when my politics teacher used to rant about how many "experts" argue when the know **** all.

& you still get some people who rekon the age of voting should be lowered to 16 pahahaha.

I think it would make more sense to put it up to 21.

Oh that old argument :lol: Youth turnout is low enough as it is and most 16 year olds probably couldn't name a single party policy.
Original post by Lyrical Prodigy
Pahahahahaha :lol:

serriously though..

someone said that to me a few years back.. they came back from china and said that there were so many chinese people..

I thought ' what a bloody idiot.. ofcourse china is full of chinese people. what did you expect?' etc.

but having been there, I know what they mean.. its nothing to do with the nationality or the fact that its china, just that coming from england its such a difference, especially if you are from outside of london - to see such a large number of people all crammed into sometimes quite small places..

Shopping streets, buses trains, all so so busy - huge blocks of flats everywhere.. etc.

It really did seem wierd, coming from such a small town as I grew up in
Reply 1145
Original post by sr90
Oh that old argument :lol: Youth turnout is low enough as it is and most 16 year olds probably couldn't name a single party policy.

Don't even think most could name party leaders tbh.

"Who did you vote for and why?"

"I voted for Labour init coz one of my boys uncle is bare tight with Ed Cameron and I gotta back my boys, still"

Or..

"I voted for Conservatives because their leader is soooooo cute!"

& you'll just see a bunch of school kids who'll "back the hype" of voting for someone.

Shambles all over lol
Yh the hype with voting for lib dem last election yet no one knew why
Reply 1147
Remind me.. Why is Suarez getting boo-ed?
Original post by AR_95
Yh the hype with voting for lib dem last election yet no one knew why

Had that first really good TV debate and everyone was jizzing over them.

lol how they pretty much lost an entire generation of voters because they went back on their word on tuition fees. An MP near my old school at the time came in and did a big talk about how he wanted to keep the fees down - then was one of the most vocal MP's in support of raising it to 9 grand.
Original post by The Shed End

lol how they pretty much lost an entire generation of voters because they went back on their word on tuition fees. An MP near my old school at the time came in and did a big talk about how he wanted to keep the fees down - then was one of the most vocal MP's in support of raising it to 9 grand.

Yh I remember that but think he blew it with the third show with his policy on immigration

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by The Shed End

Funny how so many people disregard the Lib Dems just because of this one policy which they couldn't do much about, only for these people to then go on to vote for either Labour or the Tories, despite them being the ones in favour of fees in the first place. Logic.
Reply 1151
Tbf, tuitions fees were on the rise regardless of who was in government. They almost had to go up in line with inflation, so if labour had stayed in power they probably would put them up too (perhaps not triple but double).

It was tactically beneficial for Tories & Lib dems to get the blame for it.. So that ignorant people would vote Labour again.
Original post by midnightice
Funny how so many people disregard the Lib Dems just because of this one policy which they couldn't do much about, only for these people to then go on to vote for either Labour or the Tories, despite them being the ones in favour of fees in the first place. Logic.

I'm pretty apathetic towards politics tbh. Might vote might note, but 99% of them and the parties are two faced snides who I don't really trust either way tbh. My parents go on about it as a democratic right though.
Eh, bollotics. I'm in that damned if I do, damned if I don't situation. Personally I don't give a rats arse about politics but saying that draws a backlash of "hurrdurr why don't you care, it's how the country is run" etcetc.
Yeah I don't really care about Politics, I would just vote to stop extremist parties going into power and destroying the country.
Young people are an easy target because they don't vote. There's a reason why the Tories have ring fenced universal benefits for pensioners throughout this Parliament, it's not out of the kindness of their hearts it's because they're the most likely group to go and vote.

Voter apathy is at a record high, and our voting system doesn't help with this. With FPTP, anyone who doesn't like the current Government only has one realistic alternative - a party with an unelectable leader who will get the country into heaps more debt and **** up the economy, leaving a mess for someone else to clean up. Unless you live in a key marginal seat, your vote really doesn't make much of a difference. Unfortunately if thousands of people take this view... yeh you see where i'm going here.
Reply 1156
Original post by jam277
Yeah I don't really care about Politics, I would just vote to stop extremist parties going into power and destroying the country.

I doubt that'll happen tbh, we've got far
too many traditonalists who'll vote one of the "big two", if you will. Like SR said, unless you live in a constituency where it's really marginal, your vote doesn't mean anything.

I remember in 2009, when BNP threatened to win a seat in barking haha.. They got whooped by a good 20k+ votes
Reply 1157
Original post by sr90
Young people are an easy target because they don't vote. There's a reason why the Tories have ring fenced universal benefits for pensioners throughout this Parliament, it's not out of the kindness of their hearts it's because they're the most likely group to go and vote.

Voter apathy is at a record high, and our voting system doesn't help with this. With FPTP, anyone who doesn't like the current Government only has one realistic alternative - a party with an unelectable leader who will get the country into heaps more debt and **** up the economy, leaving a mess for someone else to clean up. Unless you live in a key marginal seat, your vote really doesn't make much of a difference. Unfortunately if thousands of people take this view... yeh you see where i'm going here.

This is true, but can you imagine we had another voting system - say proportional representation (I say this because it's used around the EU a lot)? Then you'll get a lot of strategic voting. Those people that are pissed off about one policy and will purposely give their vote the other way to "get them back". Unfortuantely, the majority of people in today's society are politically and economically ignorent and if you make it so that the number of votes are proportional to the number of seats in the parliament then it really won't end well IMO.
PR would be an absolute disaster, no single party would ever have a majority.

Tactical voting is already an issue, the Lib Dems have benefited from it for years. I'm a fan of AV and STV, but AV got annihilated in the referrendum.
The voting system is rubbish but nothing will ever really change while we still have a messed up monetary system and the government expenditure being around 50% of GDP.

Latest