The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1240
Original post by Lyrical Prodigy
x

£698 for mine [on a bigger car] lol. Some benefits to being old!

Original post by jam277
Driving lesson went well today. Getting much more used to the controls, know the biting point. I think once I understand this fully I shall be able to move the car much more smoothly. Think the guys car is a diesel so it's easier to control. Might buy a diesel though. Way more miles to the gallon. Plan is to get a car and rent a house soon as I get my license.

Interesting. I was thinking of learning a language because it can be very useful wrt jobs. French in particular.

driving is all experience experience experience. 20 years and much of it will be automated anyway most likely!

And yea, for us language isn't a 'core' requirement, but it helps to speak to suppliers over there (+ our builder workforce will be mainly Portuguese so communicating with them helps! But yea, for most roles language is just a cool bonus.

Not actually started speccing the jobs properly yet, but next week I go to look at some swanky offices in central Manchester for rent! Exciting times. Gonna have a pool table and table tennis table :biggrin:
Nooooo lol, you said webuyanycar's giving you only £190 for your car. I said would you be happy with that? :smile:

If I can somehow find less than 1k insurance (in other words impossible) I would pay the annual price myself. If too expensive to pay for it upfront just like that and I have to pay monthly then parent's will handle it but I would obviously contribute sometimes.

Funnily enough, I've just googled what a black box looks like. Is that it? It's some fat ugly black camer thing sitting on your windshield. I thought it would look like an actual black box, literally. Then they'd put it somewhere in your boot. Interesting...

Oh, right, that went completely over my head. It isn't very much, but probably justified. The car itself (+ 12 months MOT) cost me £1.2k. It's been 10 months that I've had it and I've probably spent at least a grand on repairs. I would just give it to someone, let someone have their first ****ty car and get them up & running as a new driver, but it's probably too much of a financial burden to put onto a kid. I know a guy that works in scrapping, maybe see what I can get for it in scrap.

I could've saved £300 if I paid annual instead of monthly, but after buying the actual car I was pretty skint, so I've had to go monthly. You'd do exceptionally well to find something under £1k, probably impossible. It's fine getting your parents to foot the bill if they don't mind. I know there's this whole taboo of sponging off your parents, bit I'd say that only applied if you were out od education. I only started paying rent & for food when I left school.

My black box is in the boot.
Original post by samba
£698 for mine [on a bigger car] lol. Some benefits to being old!

I'm tempted to ask the obvious question :ninja:
Reply 1243
I'm tempted to ask the obvious question :ninja:

Dunno whether that'd be about the car or my age :p:

Honestly though, it all comes down to location. Being in London is what screws you more than anything else.
Original post by TornadoGR4
Oh, right, that went completely over my head. It isn't very much, but probably justified. The car itself (+ 12 months MOT) cost me £1.2k. It's been 10 months that I've had it and I've probably spent at least a grand on repairs. I would just give it to someone, let someone have their first ****ty car and get them up & running as a new driver, but it's probably too much of a financial burden to put onto a kid. I know a guy that works in scrapping, maybe see what I can get for it in scrap.

I could've saved £300 if I paid annual instead of monthly, but after buying the actual car I was pretty skint, so I've had to go monthly. You'd do exceptionally well to find something under £1k, probably impossible. It's fine getting your parents to foot the bill if they don't mind. I know there's this whole taboo of sponging off your parents, bit I'd say that only applied if you were out od education. I only started paying rent & for food when I left school.

My black box is in the boot.

You should really enable visitor messaging :colonhash:

That's a hell lot of money to spend on repairs. That's exactly what I'm trying to avoid. I always try and dodge really cheap cars because it's fishy. They say it's in 'good condition' but I'm not so sure :hmmm: Saw a VW beetle auto for £550, I clicked on it and the description was way too good to be true, car looked pretty nice in the pics but no thanks I'll pass.

I'm seeing loads of cheap corsa's pop up but I'm really trying to avoid them lmao. I really don't want one. But I can't afford to be picky of course :colonhash:
Yeah my parents baby me sometimes in a strict way so even if I wanted to the wouldn't let me pay for it myself.
You should really enable visitor messaging :colonhash:

That's a hell lot of money to spend on repairs. That's exactly what I'm trying to avoid. I always try and dodge really cheap cars because it's fishy. They say it's in 'good condition' but I'm not so sure :hmmm: Saw a VW beetle auto for £550, I clicked on it and the description was way too good to be true, car looked pretty nice in the pics but no thanks I'll pass.

I'm seeing loads of cheap corsa's pop up but I'm really trying to avoid them lmao. I really don't want one. But I can't afford to be picky of course :colonhash:
Yeah my parents baby me sometimes in a strict way so even if I wanted to the wouldn't let me pay for it myself.

I thought it was on for mods/contacts? Huh.

The car had 109,000 miles when I bought it, 10 years old & I knew it wasn't going to be 100% reliable. I bought it 3 days after passing my test, it's probably fair to say the excitement of owning a car rather clouded my judgement. Ah well.

I'd avoid looking on sites like Auto Trader or buying from the public. Look for used cars in dealers, I got mine from a Renault garage. They're seemingly more looked after when bought from a dealer, whereas the average joe trying to flog it for £500 is getting rid of it because it's a bottomless money-pit.

I'd just try find the cheapest car that's semi-decent. Weird buying a car, you can't skimp on it but they're so expensive. Really is a fine line.

LP can't drive manuals.
Which of you man have PS4
My favourite Dutchman.

Love that Dutch immigrant 'hood' English accent.
Reply 1248

LP can't drive manuals.

You can pick up a reliable auto for 1k~ quite easily. Whether it's swanky enough for you or small enough for london is another matter.
Stupid question, but What does an auto car do if you take your foot off the brake? I can't imagine driving without a clutch :laugh:
Original post by Depleted
Stupid question, but What does an auto car do if you take your foot off the brake? I can't imagine driving without a clutch :laugh:

It will start slowing itself down naturally.
Original post by jam277
It will start slowing itself down naturally.

Nah I mean from a standstill? I would assume easing off the brake would make the car move or is that wrong?
Nah I mean from a standstill? I would assume easing off the brake would make the car move or is that wrong?

Depends if it was on a hill or not.

Think of it as a big go-kart. Just a loud pedal, that other pedal & a steering wheel.
Depends if it was on a hill or not.

Think of it as a big go-kart. Just a loud pedal, that other pedal & a steering wheel.

A lot of cars have hill start assist though :confused: I'll just stick to manual :rofl:
"It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses."

re-watching at the moment.. love the film. remember seeing it when I was a really little kid, not expecting much as my parents said 'tonight, we are going to watch the blues brothers' but then being blown away..
EDIT: Does ethnicity matter? I can't remember ever filling in a box for ethnicity when I was searching for insurance. I'm sure they can't actually let that influence the price.

No, it is illegal to discriminate against anyone on the basis of race.
I thought it was on for mods/contacts? Huh.

The car had 109,000 miles when I bought it, 10 years old & I knew it wasn't going to be 100% reliable. I bought it 3 days after passing my test, it's probably fair to say the excitement of owning a car rather clouded my judgement. Ah well.

I'd avoid looking on sites like Auto Trader or buying from the public. Look for used cars in dealers, I got mine from a Renault garage. They're seemingly more looked after when bought from a dealer, whereas the average joe trying to flog it for £500 is getting rid of it because it's a bottomless money-pit.

I'd just try find the cheapest car that's semi-decent. Weird buying a car, you can't skimp on it but they're so expensive. Really is a fine line.

LP can't drive manuals.

Nah it's not enabled at all. Would be useful to turn it on Tornado :colonhash:

Ahh thanks for the advice. A lot of mileage scares me as well, I guess I have to look past that though and stop being so damn picky. Because I know myself that's the thing. I'll give you one example, when the iPhone 4 came out they only had black in stock and I really wanted white but because the excitement of having the phone got the better of me I just go black and I swear to you, it annoyed me everyday, I couldn't stand the thing cos of it's colour. I have issues I know. I don't wanna make the same mistake with a car, buy it for the sake of it then when I'm driving round I'll feel a bit like crap.

Nah I hate searching on auto trader, only about 12 cars come up looool. More of a Gumtree person. :yep:

Original post by samba
You can pick up a reliable auto for 1k~ quite easily. Whether it's swanky enough for you or small enough for london is another matter.

Thanks for the advice Samba :borat: don't know if I replied to your other quote yesterday but I was talking about your age, not the car's. :ninja: :tongue:

If you take your foot of the brake whilst it's in Drive, it moves. If you've put it in park and you take your foot off the break then obviously nothing happens. When you're changing it from Park to drive to neutral to reverse etc, foot must always be on the break or the gear stick won't move, don't know if that's the same for manuals. :smile: Autos are underrated imo :tongue:
Reply 1257

Thanks for the advice Samba :borat: don't know if I replied to your other quote yesterday but I was talking about your age, not the car's. :ninja: :tongue:

lol, 30. Why do you need a car in London anyway?
Original post by samba
lol, 30. Why do you need a car in London anyway?

Oooh flirty thirty (loool sorry I couldn't think of anything else that rhymes :tongue:) :h:
Uni is just outside London, literally on the border. The university bus from London to the uni is fantastic but it's expensive in the long run (£5 for a student day pass) and I go into uni three times a week (or £749 for a year pass) so might as well get a car. Would be so **** not to drive now after all that money spent on lessons etc.
Reply 1259
Oooh flirty thirty (loool sorry I couldn't think of anything else that rhymes :tongue:) :h:
Uni is just outside London, literally on the border. The university bus from London to the uni is fantastic but it's expensive in the long run (£5 for a student day pass) and I go into uni three times a week (or £749 for a year pass) so might as well get a car. Would be so **** not to drive now after all that money spent on lessons etc.

Find me people worth flirting with and sure :p:
Ahh, ok! My sis lives in Hampstead and works in the city so she just tubes it (as well as having failed her test 4 times :lol:) so I was thinking for being 'in the city' it's best not to drive! More understandable if you're going outta London 3 days a week. How much will parking cost though? My parking permit alone at uni is like £300 a year!

You're going to get absolutely raped on insurance anyway, so you could try an old honda accord (coupe) or even an old Hilux/jag. Can't imagine any small crappy autos at around the 1k mark being remotely decent.

Latest