The Student Room Group

graphics calculator

As all our invigilators are all OAP's, could i store formulas such as trig identities on my calculator? And is there someone where it specifies that this is forbidden

Scroll to see replies

Original post by lad123
As all our invigilators are all OAP's, could i store formulas such as trig identities on my calculator? And is there someone where it specifies that this is forbidden

There are rules which say your calculator memory has to be cleared prior to the exam
Reply 2
Wishful thinking, but the calculator has to be memory wiped before the exam.
Original post by lad123

Page 63.

http://www.jcq.org.uk/Download/exams-office/ice---instructions-for-conducting-examinations/instructions-for-conducting-examinations-2014-2015
All of the replies so far have stated what the rules are. This does not answer your question. The answer to your question is likely yes.

My graphics calculator has a bloody SD card slot and noone's ever taken a second look at it. Never tried taking anything in with it though - revising's easy enough and not worth the risk for me, but I'm 100% sure you'd be fine.

(perhaps we're not meant to be discussing actual cheating on here ahaha :wink: )
Original post by lad123

I don't know, but I could not imagine for myself that its allowed. Is it not helpful enough for you to use a formulary?
Original post by lad123

The rules say that you have to clear the memory before the exam, but no-one checks that they are cleared.
There aren't many formulae that you have to remember and they are usually simple ones.
You've mentioned trig identities. There are only 1-9 basic trig identities that you have to remember (based on which modules you take). Surely you can remember the identities?
It will be more helpful for you to remember them than to rely on the calculator's memory and cheat.
Original post by lad123

Excuse me. I'm an OAP and know about graphic calculators. Cheeky monkey.
Original post by maggiehodgson
Excuse me. I'm an OAP and know about graphic calculators. Cheeky monkey.

The OP is young lol

Our invigilators have been trained on calculator
Reply 9
Original post by morgan8002
The rules say that you have to clear the memory before the exam, but no-one checks that they are cleared.
There aren't many formulae that you have to remember and they are usually simple ones.
You've mentioned trig identities. There are only 1-9 basic trig identities that you have to remember (based on which modules you take). Surely you can remember the identities?
It will be more helpful for you to remember them than to rely on the calculator's memory and cheat.

It's probably not worth it, but it's C4 and i think its unfair our exam board provide none in the formulas, and others provide all of them, and all the different ways of writing them, our school says you'll be happier in the end, when you have an A in MEI Maths, but we all know unis and employers couldn't give two ****s about exam baords.
Original post by lad123
It's probably not worth it, but it's C4 and i think its unfair our exam board provide none in the formulas, and others provide all of them, and all the different ways of writing them, our school says you'll be happier in the end, when you have an A in MEI Maths, but we all know unis and employers couldn't give two ****s about exam baords.

if you're doing mei they dont 'provide none'. they give 3 most important formulas in booklet. you can derive another 3 very quickly from these formulas and that leaves 3 to remember. don't cheat bro its unfair on the rest of us
Original post by lad123

I checked the MEI formula booklet and there are six C4 double angle identities on page 3.
The AQA, STEP and MEI formula booklets are all roughly the same, but you actually get more identities given than we do (for AQA we don't get the half angle ones).
Reply 12
I checked the MEI formula booklet and there are six C4 double angle identities on page 3.
The AQA, STEP and MEI formula booklets are all roughly the same, but you actually get more identities given than we do (for AQA we don't get the half angle ones).

Check out Edexcel, and i literally can't find any double angled ones, nothing like Sin2x=2sinxcosx
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by lad123
Check out Edexcel, and i literally can't find any double angled ones, nothing like Sin2x=2sinxcosx

Good grief. Well look at the double hyperbolic ones then and modify accordingly.
Original post by Mr M
Good grief. Well look at the double hyperbolic ones then and modify accordingly.

If they're going to do that they may as well learn De Moivre's theorem as well and then they can derive the formulae easily.
If they're going to do that they may as well learn De Moivre's theorem as well and then they can derive the formulae easily.

Do you really think that is necessary when the compound angle formulae are there for all to see?
Original post by lad123

Page 8, the basic 6 are there.
Original post by Mr M
Do you really think that is necessary when the compound angle formulae are there for all to see?

The previous poster said that they weren't on it. I looked at it myself and saw that they were mistaken.
Reply 18
Page 8, the basic 6 are there.

I don't see them? I expected them to be at least these ones, but they're not on the formula book, it's fine i'll just have to learn them simple.

http://www.mei.org.uk/files/pdf/formulae.pdf
Original post by lad123
I don't see them? I expected them to be at least these ones, but they're not on the formula book, it's fine i'll just have to learn them simple.

http://www.mei.org.uk/files/pdf/formulae.pdf

This isn't the formula booklet. As far as I can tell this is the correct one and contains everything you need:
http://www.mei.org.uk/files/pdf/formula_book_mf2.pdf

Look on page 3.

Quick Reply

Latest