The Student Room Group

AQA GEOG4B 19th JUNE 2015

Hi everyone,

I was wondering if anyone has the GEOG4B paper yet and what your ideas on it are? I think advantages and disadvantages will come up of riders for health however I'm not sure. What is everyones predictions so far?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by shannonmills97
Hi everyone,

I was wondering if anyone has the GEOG4B paper yet and what your ideas on it are? I think advantages and disadvantages will come up of riders for health however I'm not sure. What is everyones predictions so far?

Hi :smile: that sounds possible! have you gone through the booklet yet?
Original post by Bunny2014
Hi :smile: that sounds possible! have you gone through the booklet yet?

Hey :smile:

Yeah I've had a brief look, my teacher hasnt gone through it with us yet though so i'm just going to do my own research and stuff till then i think!
Reply 3
My teacher suggested to us that there might be skills questions like how you would construct choropleth maps and any alternatives for representing the data in the maps they've given. This exam is so frustrating though, no idea what it'll ask!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by darcw27
My teacher suggested to us that there might be skills questions like how you would construct choropleth maps and any alternatives for representing the data in the maps they've given. This exam is so frustrating though, no idea what it'll ask!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

I have a feeling this may come up too! Its just strange to have so many chloropleth maps which I doubt will all be linked to an essay style question! It is a pain though, did you do health issues for AS?
Reply 5
I have a feeling this may come up too! Its just strange to have so many chloropleth maps which I doubt will all be linked to an essay style question! It is a pain though, did you do health issues for AS?

YES! So glad that's it on something vaguely familiar to me, did you?

Posted from TSR Mobile
can someone please send me a copy of it? please?
Original post by darcw27
YES! So glad that's it on something vaguely familiar to me, did you?

Posted from TSR Mobile

You're lucky! We havent gone over it at all, but ive looked through the aqa book/cgp book and it doesnt seem that bad tbf!
I get my copy on Thursday :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Velocity_
can someone please send me a copy of it? please?

Sorry I only have the physical copy of it! Everyones teachers should have access to it by now?? Try emailing them
Just asked my teacher about the geog 4b resources, and they actually look really interesting, much better than in previous years!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Natalierm2707
Just asked my teacher about the geog 4b resources, and they actually look really interesting, much better than in previous years!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

It is quite interesting tbf they couldve picked a worse topic to do it on, i just hate the fact the questions can be so vague! We did a mock paper not sure what year, for belo monte dam and i wouldve never guessed that half of the questions would come up from looking at the resource booklet!
Sorry I only have the physical copy of it! Everyones teachers should have access to it by now?? Try emailing them

Iv got it now :smile:. Thanks though
Does anyone know how these elements of the material could be inter-related:

- Climate.
- Agriculture.
- Population.
- Development.

Hi Guys, I was just looking through the photocopy of the GEOG4B booklet and my teacher has forgot to put in ITEM 3, so two whole pages are missing!!!

I was wondering if someone could send me this item, like you could scan it in and send it me as pictures via message, I would really like to look over the whole booklet and this item seems like a key part which is missing!!!

any help would be appreciated!!
Original post by Velocity_

Sorry i couldn't get it in any other form. but thats item 3, all of it. hope it helps :smile:

Thank you so much!! You are a life saver!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Put this on last year's thread: hope its of help to those doing the 2015 paper!

A few tips:

Knowing the AIB thoroughly, understanding the main issues involved and having the ability to adapt your own knowledge to answering the question, including your own analysis and facts in your exam essays, is the key to high marks. For my Nepal exam, I did stacks of extra research on demographic statistics, development statistics, projects other charities have done, news articles etc etc. The pre-release is only a guide; you have to make sure you DON'T copy word for word from it although you can draw upon it occasionally.

Make a good set of notes structured around the AIB with reference to extra research. You can get your own information from the sources suggested in the ZigZag booklet, Wikipedia, internet searches, books, course texts - basically anything which is related to the topic. You'll realise as you go that the issue chosen by the exam board cuts across many of the concepts in the A Level. Doing your own research is the only way to develop the synoptic understanding of the issue that you need.

Note: there are are usually shorter questions based on more 'directed' items such as data presentation, stats, fieldwork or directed research. These should be easier to identify and plan for as they are usually clearly referenced in the AIB itself. Even if no questions based wholly on these 'directed' items come up, make sure you include them in the exam paper somewhere - e.g. I brought in the photographs referenced in the AIB to an essay on development in Nepal.

Geog 4B is more about geographical understanding than revision per se. As I did very detailed research on the concepts and structured that research around the AIB I was able to build up a very good knowledge of the core themes before the exam, which I could then draw upon as part of the argument in my essay. The exam essays are more about setting up an argument and justifying yourself (with that justification supplemented by your own facts) rather than basic regurgitation of the facts themselves.

Good luck!
Has everyone done much work on this over the holidays?? I've mainly focused on geog 3 and now I feel like I'll struggle with this :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
How is everyone doing revision for this exam? I've been revising physics for the whole of last week so I'm going to dedicate this week of the break for geography. Haven't given much thought about the booklet until now because our teacher hasn't gone over it with us yet
Reply 19
Does anyone have any idea on the significance of all the maps? I agree with the 4 underlying themes but it's really difficult to know what questions would be directed upon them. Do you think that it might just be skills questions on the maps? They seem to just be establishing where the population lives and why...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending