The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Help on Q 31
I got 1/4 on that question :| ImageUploadedByStudent Room1426426892.191681.jpg

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 341
Original post by zed963
The domain of the original is the range of the inverse and vice versa.

The second thing is that when it comes to fractions, X cannot equal a value which causes the denominator to =0

In terms of e^x graph, the domain is XER and the range is y>0

There will be good videos on YouTube which explain it perfectly.

Also, try to give us a question that you're stuck with so we can discuss it.

I now have a question. So for January 2012 c3, I got question 7 part c I think. The one where it's working out the domain of the inverse. I understand this is the range for f(x) but I had x>1 and not x>0 so I'm just confused now haha

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by lam12
I now have a question. So for January 2012 c3, I got question 7 part c I think. The one where it's working out the domain of the inverse. I understand this is the range for f(x) but I had x>1 and not x>0 so I'm just confused now haha

Posted from TSR Mobile

Try drawing the graph of f^-1(x)

The denominator of the function cannot equal 0. Therefore any value greater than 0 is fine.

You knew that the denominator had to be greater than 1 but what you need to know is that it can also equal 1.

The number that it cannot equal is 0. Hence x>0

Have a look at this, http://www.examsolutions.net/a-level-maths-papers/worked-solution/worked-solution.php?paper_id=30&solution=7.3

It provides a graphical perspective.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by TheGemini
Help on Q 31
I got 1/4 on that question :| ImageUploadedByStudent Room1426426892.191681.jpg

Posted from TSR Mobile

what book is that?
Reply 344
Original post by Paras Agarwal
well major major respect to you for your mock score! i suggest you give edexcel june 13 a try . #HARDESTPAPEROFALLTIME

are u on about paper june 13 o1r? if so, that is tuff! i managed to scrape an A though haha....
How do you remember which method of integration to use for different types of questions?
Original post by l1lvink
How do you remember which method of integration to use for different types of questions?

Chain rule = function within a function e.g. (x+2)^4
Product rule = function x function e.g (x+2)(x+7)^4
Quotient rule = function/function e.g. (x+2)/(x+8)
Original post by BBeyond
Chain rule = function within a function e.g. (x+2)^4
Product rule = function x function e.g (x+2)(x+7)^4
Quotient rule = function/function e.g. (x+2)/(x+8)

Thats differentiation, I'm on about parts/chain/substitution...
Original post by l1lvink
Thats differentiation, I'm on about parts/chain/substitution...

**** sorry aha assumed you meant diff as it was c3 thread my bad
Original post by BBeyond
**** sorry aha assumed you meant diff as it was c3 thread my bad

Ah, I've noticed my mistake too--I assumed this was AQA (my board), so perhaps you guys don't do integration in C3
Original post by l1lvink
Ah, I've noticed my mistake too--I assumed this was AQA (my board), so perhaps you guys don't do integration in C3

Nah integration is in c4 on edexcel :tongue:
Reply 351
Hey guys,

I wanted to ask, when you have to find X2, X3, ... in the iterative formula, do the answers have to always be in radians? :h:
Original post by Emma!95
Hey guys,

I wanted to ask, when you have to find X2, X3, ... in the iterative formula, do the answers have to always be in radians? :h:

I would assume so unless otherwise specified.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Emma!95
Hey guys,

if you are working with sin or cos i.e if you see sin or cos in the question or the range given is in terms of pi we always use RADIANS. otherwise if no sin or cos present and the range is in degrees then we work in normal degrees :smile:
Reply 354
Original post by Ripper Phoenix
if you are working with sin or cos i.e if you see sin or cos in the question or the range given is in terms of pi we always use RADIANS. otherwise if no sin or cos present and the range is in degrees then we work in normal degrees :smile:

Thank you!! That actually makes sense!! :biggrin:
Original post by Emma!95

I should point out -occasionally, e.g. on last year's paper, there was a question on iteration where degrees/radians was not specified. I believe the 'default' from C3 onwards in radians.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Krollo
I should point out -occasionally, e.g. on last year's paper, there was a question on iteration where degrees/radians was not specified. I believe the 'default' from C3 onwards in radians.

Posted from TSR Mobile

you can but thats wrong id say. You only use radians when you have a sin or cosine in the question, we have been taught this thats why i know haha
Reply 357
Original post by Krollo

Posted from TSR Mobile

oh okay I would defo watch out, Thank you for letting me know! :smile:
Original post by Emma!95

welcome!
Original post by Krollo

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes, I did that paper yday - and the answer was in radians.

Latest

Trending

Trending