The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by BrasenoseAdm
Oxford Tube also has free wifi and stops much closer to the centre of Oxford (where most of the departments and colleges are located) than the rail station. Added to that, the reliability of the train service is not always great and at the moment there are engineering works during some of the weekends which can cause delays. The bus link from London wins hands down.

The Oxford Tube also hand out literally stacks of vouchers giving you £1 tickets at every freshers' fair. By 4th year I was going simply for the vouchers :rolleyes:

(Also First Great Western are an absolute disgrace)
Hi everyone! :smile:

GCSE grades: 6A*, 5A and 1B (Add. maths)
A-Levels: Maths, Further Maths, Physics, Chemistry
Course: Probably Physics, maybe Phys/Phil
College: Probably open application!
Original post by ellsie98
Hi everyone! :smile:

GCSE grades: 6A*, 5A and 1B (Add. maths)
A-Levels: Maths, Further Maths, Physics, Chemistry
Course: Probably Physics, maybe Phys/Phil
College: Probably open application!

Hi Ellsie98,

Interested in your reasons for making an open application. Are you planning to come to the Oxford Open Days on 1 or 2 July later this year?
There's just so many colleges that offer Physics, its so hard to choose - if I did though, I'd definitely consider Brasenose, visited it with school last month and it was gorgeous :smile:
I don't know if I'll go to one of the open days, maybe 1st July - I'm very local to the area so I've visited the university quite a few times with school.

Posted from TSR Mobile
LMH IS getting new whizzy buildings and frontage in Oct 2015 worth having a look at...can walk into town through the university parks..only 10 mins xxx
GCSE grades: 7A*s, 4As, 1B
A-Levels: Maths, Further Maths, Physics, Chemistry, French
Course: Physics
College: One that has self catering facilities
Original post by enimpri
Hey guys,

For anyone looking to get some genuine experience of what it'd be like to live and study in one of the colleges (specifically Queen's), check out these 'Little Open Days' running throughout this term, so there are loads of spaces for anyone who would like a place:

http://www.queens.ox.ac.uk/admissions/outreach/open-days/

:smile:

I'm hopefully going! If I get a place . . .
Original post by personage
LMH IS getting new whizzy buildings and frontage in Oct 2015 worth having a look at...can walk into town through the university parks..only 10 mins xxx

Original post by ellsie98
There's just so many colleges that offer Physics, its so hard to choose - if I did though, I'd definitely consider Brasenose, visited it with school last month and it was gorgeous :smile:
I don't know if I'll go to one of the open days, maybe 1st July - I'm very local to the area so I've visited the university quite a few times with school.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks for the positive feedback. I asked in view of the fact that open applications tend to be made by students who are not able to visit Oxford. Living locally could mean that your adjustment to college/university life is easier since there will be stronger home ties. That said, Physics is a 4-year course so perhaps worth thinking ahead to graduate provision in the 4th year. Of course, there is always a chance of reallocation so probably not worth agonising over the final choice. Good luck whatever you decide.
GCSE Grades: 3A*, 5A, 3B(Bio, Phy, ICT) would have been 3 more A*s and 1 A if someone told me about paid remarks before November
A-Levels: German, Maths, Chemistry, Software (Hope for A*AA(A/B in maths)
Course: Classics & Modern Languages (German)
College: Magdalen (because of the Botanic Garden and parks)

Could I get through?
Original post by Ser Alex Toyne
GCSE Grades: 3A*, 5A, 3B(Bio, Phy, ICT) would have been 3 more A*s and 1 A if someone told me about paid remarks before November

Could I get through?

With a decent PS and good scores on the CAT and MLAT you'd be likely to get called to interview, then it largely depends on your performance there :smile:
Thanks Lucilou!

Could I get through?

As Lucilou rightly says, entry tests will be a massive factor for you. Do well, and it's yours to win or lose at interview.

I do think not having an A* at German GCSE is a bit concerning though. Not fatal or anything, but you would expect it in light of the degree choice.

Edit: Ignore the second line, I now realise I misread entirely. Apologies for that. Original advise stands though: apply, do your best to prepare for the entry tests.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by jenkinsear
As Lucilou rightly says, entry tests will be a massive factor for you. Do well, and it's yours to win or lose at interview.

I do think not having an A* at German GCSE is a bit concerning though. Not fatal or anything, but you would expect it in light of the degree choice.

How do you know they don't have an A* in German? It doesn't specify which subjects the As and A*s are in
Original post by FramedCuriosity
GCSE grades: 7A*s, 4As, 1B
A-Levels: Maths, Further Maths, Physics, Chemistry, French
Course: Physics
College: One that has self catering facilities

I would suggest Worcester, Pembroke or St Hughs. The first two are fine with you just emailing in saying "I want a kitchen" and then just giving you one with minimal hassle. St Hugh's I know less about, but they have a lot of kitchens compared to most Colleges hence the suggestion...

Incidentally all 3 probably offer some of the best accommodation provisions out of all the Oxford Colleges. (You do end up paying for it though)
Original post by Lucilou101
How do you know they don't have an A* in German? It doesn't specify which subjects the As and A*s are in

You're completely right, sorry I misread the subjects they got B's in as the A* ones. Ignore what I said -scurries back to her zimmer frame-
Original post by jenkinsear
You're completely right, sorry I misread the subjects they got B's in as the A* ones. Ignore what I said -scurries back to her zimmer frame-

It's fine :lol: I wasn't sure if I'd just completely missed something
I honestly don't think I'm going to get good enough AS grades for Oxford. Sigh. I'm working as hard as I can but I have an awful memory and get really stressed. Good luck, everyone.
Thanks Lucilou!

The only slight worry I would have is that none of your A Levels bar German are literature based, but that can be made up with plenty of extra reading around the subject :smile:
Original post by Edminzodo
I honestly don't think I'm going to get good enough AS grades for Oxford. Sigh. I'm working as hard as I can but I have an awful memory and get really stressed. Good luck, everyone.

AS grades aren't very important for Oxford. If you have good GCSEs and can make the rest of your application strong then it's worth applying :smile:
any tips for prospective physics applicants? how hard is the PAT/interview?

Latest

Trending

Trending