The Student Room Group

Edexcel A2 C4 Mathematics June 2015 - Official Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by physicsmaths
I am talking about the Further Maths A*. Not normal maths.

Posted from TSR Mobile

oh, my bad
Guys this might be a dumb question and a bit off topic but do you need to show all your working out for Bubble sort in D1 or can you just write the passes?
Reply 202
Original post by TopPhysio
Guys this might be a dumb question and a bit off topic but do you need to show all your working out for Bubble sort in D1 or can you just write the passes?

When I look at mark schemes It just seems to be the end of the passes, they don't write it all out so it's normally like 5 lines. Also to get the last mark you have to write it out again with no passes or say it's sorted etc. How are you finding d1? I struggle with linear programming a bit but it's alright, I need to learn the definitions though

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 203
Original post by Krollo
Divide it into a volume of revolution minus a cone, and then use parametric integration. It's a fairly faffy question, let me know if you need help

Posted from TSR Mobile

I can now see the cone haha but it definitely would have got me in the exam, is there any other exam questions like this?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by TopPhysio

The way I did it last year was to do one pass, showing each and every stage of that pass, then writing "end of first pass" when I had completed the first pass.
For subsequent passes, I simply wrote out the end result of that pass, and then saying "sort complete" or something similar when I had finished.
Original post by lam12
I can now see the cone haha but it definitely would have got me in the exam, is there any other exam questions like this?

Posted from TSR Mobile

It's rare that there's one so involved. I think the last question of the June 2014 (I think?) C34 paper was of a similar difficulty, it may be worth checking that out.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 206
Integration I still cannot do it fluently :mad:

Haven't started vectors either, is it similar to mechanics?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 207
Original post by Krollo
It's rare that there's one so involved. I think the last question of the June 2014 (I think?) C34 paper was of a similar difficulty, it may be worth checking that out.

Posted from TSR Mobile

How many c34 papers are there? Did it just start in January 2014? Or earlier... Or later? I'll do that paper now :-)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 208
With implicit differentiation does it matter what I carry to the other side or is it just about neatness etc what looks nicer like With negatives etc

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by lam12
With implicit differentiation does it matter what I carry to the other side or is it just about neatness etc what looks nicer like With negatives etc

Posted from TSR Mobile

It still the same thing.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by lam12

Posted from TSR Mobile

You should get both dy and dx on separate sides making sure they don't appear as 1/dy or 1/dx. So usually you would carry across the denominator and then rearrange to collect the other terms

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Fade
Integration I still cannot do it fluently :mad:

Haven't started vectors either, is it similar to mechanics?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I learned/revised integration last week (15 hours in 2 days) and I reckon it's just practice. Eventually it should all click. Also, it's good to get comfortable with all the methods and tricks of integration. Sometimes if you're integrating by parts, when you integrate the vu' term it gets a bit messy (especially with the -1 constant outside).

I did vectors yesterday and it just 'clicked' luckily. The questions on vectors aren't usually too difficult if you have a solid understanding of the topic! Also I haven't studied any mechanics modules, so I'm sure having done mechanics would only be a benefit.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Dylann
I learned/revised integration last week (15 hours in 2 days) and I reckon it's just practice. Eventually it should all click. Also, it's good to get comfortable with all the methods and tricks of integration. Sometimes if you're integrating by parts, when you integrate the vu' term it gets a bit messy (especially with the -1 constant outside).

I did vectors yesterday and it just 'clicked' luckily. The questions on vectors aren't usually too difficult if you have a solid understanding of the topic! Also I haven't studied any mechanics modules, so I'm sure having done mechanics would only be a benefit.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Tips for integration?:smile:
Yeah vectors is alright

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by frozo123
Tips for integration?:smile:
Yeah vectors is alright

Posted from TSR Mobile

Practise and practise! Go very slowly at first so you make sure you know exactly what you're doing. Try to write neatly on your page, some things like substitution and by parts can get especially messy sometimes
Original post by Dylann
Practise and practise! Go very slowly at first so you make sure you know exactly what you're doing. Try to write neatly on your page, some things like substitution and by parts can get especially messy sometimes

May you give me the list of formulae which could be useful? Eg " reverse chain rule" please? Which aren't given in the booklet obviously

Posted from TSR Mobile
In :smile:

Hate integration though. Hoping C3 and M1 will help pull me through to an A* to be honest, and just do the best I can on this and hope its enough :redface:
Any tips for integration guys?
Original post by mccrae01
In :smile:

Hate integration though. Hoping C3 and M1 will help pull me through to an A* to be honest, and just do the best I can on this and hope its enough :redface:

You might know already but you only need to get 480 UMS and average 90% in C3/C4 for the A*, so that may or may not put a bit of pressure off of you for M1, if you did okay in the first year. :redface:

Original post by rory58824
Any tips for integration guys?

Get used to the different methods of integrating, remember +c, and most importantly practice as much as you can.
What Mocks do you guys have left?

My class still has Vectors in C4/M1 to learn & then we have mocks in them both respectively. I self-taught M1 vectors over the Easter & wasn't too bad. How long will C4 Scalar Product & vectors w/coordinate geometry take to learn?
For me vectors is lovely, but most of my friends struggle with it because they haven't had it taught to them well.

80% of it is the standard techniques - equations of lines, dot product, subbing in to find lambda/mew. The other 20% is geometry work from GCSE and AS - areas of triangles, etc. If you're not too confident on vectors, do C4 June 2008. The vectors question there is comprehensive and the last part is unusual (but interesting), and if you can make sense of it you're pretty strong on vectors. Also remember that often you'll have to use info you found earlier in the question to solve later parts.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending