The Student Room Group

Is there really any point in revising any more than once, the days before that exam??

I haven't started revising yet for the exams cause I don't feel the need to (and really cba). Wouldn't it just be ok to revise for the exam the day before the exam, and when I have multiple exams on one day, I spend multiple days revising for that day? If I revise physics for example now, then I revise it the day before the exam, its basically the same as only revising the day before as I am using the same revision materials so I won't learn anything new...

Scroll to see replies

You will be overwhelemed if you do everything last minute. Just start trying to revise the content now and do past papers asap.
Reply 2
Original post by SuperHuman98
You will be overwhelemed if you do everything last minute. Just start trying to revise the content now and do past papers asap.

Why past papers? Wouldn't it just be better to spend my time revising the content....
Reply 3
I did this for my mocks, and even though I got good grades - it took pretty much every bit of energy inside of me and that was just one week of exams. We have 3-5 weeks of exams, and so you will probably give up at some point.

Obviously some will cope, but I really wouldn't recommend it.
Original post by sandvika
Why past papers? Wouldn't it just be better to spend my time revising the content....

Revise the content first so you know it all.Then do past papers they are so important because the same things can come up but they will be worded differently. And you will be more confident going into the exam
Reply 5
Original post by jamestg
I did this for my mocks, and even though I got good grades - it took pretty much every bit of energy inside of me and that was just one week of exams. We have 3-5 weeks of exams, and so you will probably give up at some point.

Obviously some will cope, but I really wouldn't recommend it.

What kind of grades
Reply 6
What kind of grades

7A*s, 3As and a C

The C was in computing, and we didn't actually start learning the theory until a few weeks after the mocks.
Reply 7
Everybody is different. Obviously most people can't revise all the content for a single subject for their exam in one night. Personally, I need to start well in advance because I feel as though I won't cover everything in detail the nights before the exam. Wouldn't you start to panic which would lead to unproductive revision? Plus, most people utilise past papers and you wouldn't be able to study all the past papers in one night. If it works for you and you feel comfortable with it, go for it, it's your choice. Just make sure it's the right one :wink:. Good luck! I'm also taking my GCSEs this year :smile:.
Reply 8
I haven't started revising yet for the exams cause I don't feel the need to (and really cba).

This is, frankly, a foolish attitude to have.

You need to revise. Full stop.

The whole point of revision is that you are going back over things that you already know. Learning something "new" is what you have already done; now is the time to be checking that you know everything, consolidating areas that are problematic, and making sure that everything you've learnt over the two/three years of your course is still in your brain.

Past papers allow you to work on your exam technique. Most of the time, it is simply not enough to know the content; you have to be able to present it in a way that will get you the marks, and it requires time and effort to perfect that way of writing or presenting the information you've learnt.

I do agree that you should go over subjects the day before their respective exams, but, as someone who got 11 A*s at GCSE, it is absolutely worth revising to make sure that you reach your potential - and for the sake of your mental health.

Good luck.

you should use past papers effectively and as a guide line. For example you do one today under timed conditions and then you mark it to see what you need to improve on.

Seriously, it is better to be safe than sorry.
Reply 10
Original post by HaiHai
, but, as someone who got 11 A*s at GCSE,

Wow that is incredible, may I ask what time you started revising?
Reply 11
Original post by 'Chris'
Wow that is incredible, may I ask what time you started revising?

I did a substantial amount of revision for my mocks, which were in January, and made sure I put the hours in on my coursework, so that helped.

I started revision for the summer exams a couple of weeks before Easter, if I remember correctly. I started with just a couple of hours a day, then by May I was probably doing five or six a day. I've repeated that for AS-Levels and, this year, A2s.

I think I could have gotten A*s, As, and Bs, with no revision, but I'm very glad that I did revise. It's always better safe than sorry.
Reply 12
Original post by HaiHai
I did a substantial amount of revision for my mocks, which were in January, and made sure I put the hours in on my coursework, so that helped.

I started revision for the summer exams a couple of weeks before Easter, if I remember correctly. I started with just a couple of hours a day, then by May I was probably doing five or six a day. I've repeated that for AS-Levels and, this year, A2s.

I think I could have gotten A*s, As, and Bs, with no revision, but I'm very glad that I did revise. It's always better safe than sorry.

I completely agree, thank you for the help and good luck with your A2 exams :smile:.
Reply 13
Original post by 'Chris'
I completely agree, thank you for the help and good luck with your A2 exams :smile:.

Thanks! :smile:
Original post by HaiHai
Thanks! :smile:

When did you start doing past papers and how did you use them best to your advantage?

Can you give revision tips for English?

How did you plan your revision for the last weeks before your exams?
Original post by jamestg
7A*s, 3As and a C

The C was in computing, and we didn't actually start learning the theory until a few weeks after the mocks.

I am currently doing computing and we began theory after the coursework which was around the end of January and I have been revising a lot as I want an A/A* grade.
Original post by AnaDiamandis
I am currently doing computing and we began theory after the coursework which was around the end of January and I have been revising a lot as I want an A/A* grade.

I'm aiming for an A or A* too! Hopefully an A* though, because I almost got full marks on the app task thing and I think I've done okay on the programming project.
Yes you can do this but you will also fail.
Again, it depends on the subject for me. Last minute revision with pressure on the day helps me succeed in subjects such as RE. But with other subjects such as Chemistry I wouldn't dare. In my opinion Science is practice.
I was predicted 9 A's and 1 A* but managed to achieve 10 A*'s - much to my surprise! trust me, you need to revise in advance, the more you learn in advance then you can just go over the key points or bits you find challenging the night before meaning you won't be exhausted the next day for the exam! trying to keep motivation going for about a month is really challenging and if you haven't touched the content before I'm sure you'll find it pretty tough!

Quick Reply

Latest