The Student Room Group

Help!!

Please do not hide me, I have had a lot of circumstances which have caused me to reach this point.

As A level exams are only a few months away, I am really struggling with A level maths. It’s so bad to the point where I feel like crying in class, sometimes I don’t even go. A lot has happened over the past two years and the only thing that comes to my mind is regretting picking it. I hate it so much. I want to drop it.

My school is probably not going to allow me to drop and do another subject, so I wanted to drop it and complete a third a level privately. I understand that a lot of people will judge me for it but I genuinely think I will do better in that subject especially how maths has really impacted my other two subjects, Biology and Chemistry.

Please advise me on what I should do and if I do another a level privately, what should it be (I understand no a level is easy but there must be one in which you can get through within 4 months).

Please please help me, I feel so alone not knowing who to talk to this about.
Reply 1
I'm also taking maths and further maths, year 12, I've been doing quite well in maths at the moment.
Maths is so hard for all of us. you might see someone who you think can do it all but everyone struggles and you are definitely not alone.
to put it bluntly, it is definitely too late to consider doing another alevel unless you self study. Self study is incredibly difficult, and without a teacher or any form of accountability, and starting this late, its not a feasable option. You could restart year 12, but that doesnt sound so pleasant socially.
you can make a comeback.
is there any topics that come to mind that are hard for you? common struggles are integration, binomial expansion, logarithms. if you can identify these immediately, great! you can start watching a video to ensure understanding: Bicen Maths YouTube channel is a good one. then you can do some topic questions:Physics and Maths tutor revision questions
practice questions are defo the key!
if you're not sure, do a full practice paper and mark it. there will be questions you're okay with and some not, and get started with revising these.
I'm someone who maths does NOT come naturally to me. i flopped a bit at the start because i didnt put in enough work. i also never asked my teachers for help because i was so ashamed. but i started doing more practice Qs and engaging more in class and it was getting better until i got an A in my last test compared to like a D
let me know if you have any other questions 🙂❤️ good luck!
(edited 3 months ago)
Reply 2
Original post by lolaaaaajones789
Please do not hide me, I have had a lot of circumstances which have caused me to reach this point.

As A level exams are only a few months away, I am really struggling with A level maths. It’s so bad to the point where I feel like crying in class, sometimes I don’t even go. A lot has happened over the past two years and the only thing that comes to my mind is regretting picking it. I hate it so much. I want to drop it.

My school is probably not going to allow me to drop and do another subject, so I wanted to drop it and complete a third a level privately. I understand that a lot of people will judge me for it but I genuinely think I will do better in that subject especially how maths has really impacted my other two subjects, Biology and Chemistry.

Please advise me on what I should do and if I do another a level privately, what should it be (I understand no a level is easy but there must be one in which you can get through within 4 months).

I completely understand how you feel, A level maths isn't easy at all. You have to slow down for a minute and think you still have time until your exams, you can't go back in time to study more so don't ever think from now until your exams 'I wish I could have more time to revise', focus on what you can change now.

I personally think the best thing you can do it try your hardest the next couple of months until you sit your A levels. There really aren't many options at the moment as your school (most likely) won't let you drop a subject if you're only doing three subjects. You need to remind yourself your school will place additional pressure on you to get the best grades since they're thinking of how their league tables will look but like you said you can always resit, especially if you already have most of the resources from your course - don't chuck them out after your exam and use them for when you want to resit.

Tell your maths teachers, they're they ones that can help you the most and give you resources. Try not to skip the class as this will only make things worse - I know it's easier said than done but you're only going to make things worse for yourself, there might be intervention outside classes or you could simply just ask your teachers to run over things in your own time, I'm sure they'll be happy to help.

In terms of what to do going forward I'd recommend using sources like physics and maths tutor for practice questions and any questions you can't do show them to your teachers to get better understanding.
You aren't alone, so many people are in the same position as you. I really hope your situation gets better and I wish you the best for your exams.
Original post by lolaaaaajones789

Hey you got this. You have a couple of months to go so just do your best. I did all the same subjects as you did and really teachers put all this unnecessary pressures and stress on us. The key is if you study the right things you will nail the exams. I rarely listen to what my teachers have to say in class tbh and for the most part I self-studied. I got 3 A*s and an A (in maths) and just did what I could.

A couple of months is more than enough. I only seriously revised 2 months before my first exam. This is what you should do.

Chemistry:

I did Edexcel and we had 3 papers: 2 theory and 1 practical written. Don't make your own notes. I only used chemrevise notes and the exam board spec sheets.

Once you have read through all these notes once (and try to understand and not memorize), tick of the understood concepts from your spec sheets. Then do all the past papers you can find online: IAL (Unit 1-6), A levels (Paper 1-3), AS level (all). Add any mark scheme answers to your notes

Note that the same questions come up again and again (for eg: enthalpy definition, 6 markers, calculations in moles etc).

One key trick: although chem is all about writing the right words, giving options to the words is allowed for example: fizzing/effervescence/bubbling. I wrote this for one question in the mock exam and got two words crossed out of the 3 but got the mark still because I mentioned one of the words from the mark scheme. Nothing too off though or else a mark can still be taken away.

Use the error carried forward in calculations to your advantage. For a 6 marker: you can gain 5 marks by simply doing the right working out. The final answer can be wrong/any numbers plugged in throughout you working out can be wrong and you can still score working out marks. Never cross out your working out but instead give options but do so neatly.

Writing more than necessary is not the wrong option. 6 markers can be very specific so what you can do is write anything revolving that question topic and sometimes one of the written points can come up on the mark scheme. For example when they talk about measuring enthalpy change using a colorimeter state the full method, the improvements you can make, the specific steps that you will do (stirring, extrapolate, draw graph with axis).

Diagrams are your best friend so if you can't write it, draw it.

This is how I did my revision: 1 week read notes (like 2-4 topics a day), 2 weeks for all PPQs + 1 week to add to notes and reconsolidate. Repeat once more. 2 days before the exam repeat full length A level papers. I felt so confident by the time I entered that exam hall and simply felt like I needed to show them then what I had to do and really I felt relaxed doing chem. I got an A* at the end stress free and so could you!

Maths:

Maths was my weakest (averaged a B throughout the year) and really it was a challenge given that I had to do pure, stats, and mech (stats truly killed me) but I managed an A in the final exam (5 marks away from an A*)

Remember your calculator is your best friend. It is used to test your answers but also to help you do trial and error.

I didn't really do a lot of notes for maths and only noted the following: required formulas, integration and differentiation types and steps, proof examples (root 2 and 3) along with the different types, how to do harmonic steps. All in the questions which require crucial steps along with an explanation on how to do it.

Print the formula booklet and familiarize yourself with it.

Do all the past papers. Note that for mechanics especially, the same questions come up again and again year to year. One weight question on an inclined plane, 1-2 differentiation and integration question, joined particles etc.

I suggest that if you get stuck and can't understand the mark scheme, that you look up a YT paper walkthrough. Then write the question down in your notes and instructions on how you would solve it.

For stats: memorize how to score every mark for hypothesis testing (the diff types). There is a formula to it and out of 6-7 marks you can simply get one for stating the hypothesis in mathematical terms like N-R(0,p) or smthing.

Don't stress too much about the large data set for maths. If you happen to memorize some context that would be good (only if you have time).

Show all your working out: right or wrong don't erase anything. The examiner will carefully analyse your work and look for your logic.

Don't skip mech and stats classes but catch up with your teachers on topics you have missed. Pure maths can easily be self studied.

Biology:

I studied for the exams in a month and really all you need are a set of solid notes.

Again like the other 2 subjects the same questions come up every year. I read my bio textbook for light reading just to get the gist of things (but really skip the irrelevant facts).

Next, consolidate you spec sheet and make sure you have notes targeted to simply answering each spec point. Read the notes once (understand and don't memorize. If they happen to twist the question a lil you must still answer it in same way).

Do all the PPQs and add mark scheme answers to your notes.

Again like all the others before, write everything. I once got a question about synapses and it was a 3 marker but I really didn't know what the question was asking for. So what did I do? I wrote everything I learnt about synapses: definition, the mechanism (channel proteins and stuff), the processes that took place, what happens after the neurotransmitters bind themselves to the protein on the other side after diffusing, all of it! I scored the highest in the cohort (an A*) but wrote a lot of half page answers for these 3-4 mark questions. They will pick out the right answer.

P.S I mostly self-studied bio and chem but really had to pay attention in maths. Only do PPQs from your exam board.

With all this remember to focus on yourself. Be kind to yourself! Eat when you are hungry (a good motivator for me and a reward for revising), listen to good music whilst doing your past papers (I usually find music with lyrics distracting tho), SLEEP WELL (I know this a little weird but I like to read notes the night before and dream about it so I kind of revise when I am sleeping too. Same goes for exam questions believe it or not). But alongside this, enough sleep will allow you to focus better. When you are tired stop revising. When you are bored do something fun. Don't force it. Don't let friends distract you when you study but talk to them when you feel the need to have a break. Study somewhere or get a change in environment by going to the library/cafe/school. Hope all this helps! Good luck.
(edited 3 months ago)
I love you all so much. How are you guys this kind!! Good people truly exist. I wish you all the joy in the world you have really inspired me to believe in myself. Thank you so much, if you ever feel sad just remember that you actually saved a person like me from going into depression. I’m really waiting for kings emdp interview and I’m worried for that but I’m taking control of what I can. Thank you so much for your support I love you alllllllll! !!,!!,!!!!!!
Reply 5
Original post by Tulipbloom
Hey you got this. You have a couple of months to go so just do your best. I did all the same subjects as you did and really teachers put all this unnecessary pressures and stress on us. The key is if you study the right things you will nail the exams. I rarely listen to what my teachers have to say in class tbh and for the most part I self-studied. I got 3 A*s and an A (in maths) and just did what I could.
A couple of months is more than enough. I only seriously revised 2 months before my first exam. This is what you should do.
Chemistry:

I did Edexcel and we had 3 papers: 2 theory and 1 practical written. Don't make your own notes. I only used chemrevise notes and the exam board spec sheets.

Once you have read through all these notes once (and try to understand and not memorize), tick of the understood concepts from your spec sheets. Then do all the past papers you can find online: IAL (Unit 1-6), A levels (Paper 1-3), AS level (all). Add any mark scheme answers to your notes

Note that the same questions come up again and again (for eg: enthalpy definition, 6 markers, calculations in moles etc).

One key trick: although chem is all about writing the right words, giving options to the words is allowed for example: fizzing/effervescence/bubbling. I wrote this for one question in the mock exam and got two words crossed out of the 3 but got the mark still because I mentioned one of the words from the mark scheme. Nothing too off though or else a mark can still be taken away.

Use the error carried forward in calculations to your advantage. For a 6 marker: you can gain 5 marks by simply doing the right working out. The final answer can be wrong/any numbers plugged in throughout you working out can be wrong and you can still score working out marks. Never cross out your working out but instead give options but do so neatly.

Writing more than necessary is not the wrong option. 6 markers can be very specific so what you can do is write anything revolving that question topic and sometimes one of the written points can come up on the mark scheme. For example when they talk about measuring enthalpy change using a colorimeter state the full method, the improvements you can make, the specific steps that you will do (stirring, extrapolate, draw graph with axis).

Diagrams are your best friend so if you can't write it, draw it.

This is how I did my revision: 1 week read notes (like 2-4 topics a day), 2 weeks for all PPQs + 1 week to add to notes and reconsolidate. Repeat once more. 2 days before the exam repeat full length A level papers. I felt so confident by the time I entered that exam hall and simply felt like I needed to show them then what I had to do and really I felt relaxed doing chem. I got an A* at the end stress free and so could you!

Maths:

Maths was my weakest (averaged a B throughout the year) and really it was a challenge given that I had to do pure, stats, and mech (stats truly killed me) but I managed an A in the final exam (5 marks away from an A*)

Remember your calculator is your best friend. It is used to test your answers but also to help you do trial and error.

I didn't really do a lot of notes for maths and only noted the following: required formulas, integration and differentiation types and steps, proof examples (root 2 and 3) along with the different types, how to do harmonic steps. All in the questions which require crucial steps along with an explanation on how to do it.

Print the formula booklet and familiarize yourself with it.

Do all the past papers. Note that for mechanics especially, the same questions come up again and again year to year. One weight question on an inclined plane, 1-2 differentiation and integration question, joined particles etc.

I suggest that if you get stuck and can't understand the mark scheme, that you look up a YT paper walkthrough. Then write the question down in your notes and instructions on how you would solve it.

For stats: memorize how to score every mark for hypothesis testing (the diff types). There is a formula to it and out of 6-7 marks you can simply get one for stating the hypothesis in mathematical terms like N-R(0,p) or smthing.

Don't stress too much about the large data set for maths. If you happen to memorize some context that would be good (only if you have time).

Show all your working out: right or wrong don't erase anything. The examiner will carefully analyse your work and look for your logic.

Don't skip mech and stats classes but catch up with your teachers on topics you have missed. Pure maths can easily be self studied.

Biology:

I studied for the exams in a month and really all you need are a set of solid notes.

Again like the other 2 subjects the same questions come up every year. I read my bio textbook for light reading just to get the gist of things (but really skip the irrelevant facts).

Next, consolidate you spec sheet and make sure you have notes targeted to simply answering each spec point. Read the notes once (understand and don't memorize. If they happen to twist the question a lil you must still answer it in same way).

Do all the PPQs and add mark scheme answers to your notes.

Again like all the others before, write everything. I once got a question about synapses and it was a 3 marker but I really didn't know what the question was asking for. So what did I do? I wrote everything I learnt about synapses: definition, the mechanism (channel proteins and stuff), the processes that took place, what happens after the neurotransmitters bind themselves to the protein on the other side after diffusing, all of it! I scored the highest in the cohort (an A*) but wrote a lot of half page answers for these 3-4 mark questions. They will pick out the right answer.

P.S I mostly self-studied bio and chem but really had to pay attention in maths. Only do PPQs from your exam board.
With all this remember to focus on yourself. Be kind to yourself! Eat when you are hungry (a good motivator for me and a reward for revising), listen to good music whilst doing your past papers (I usually find music with lyrics distracting tho), SLEEP WELL (I know this a little weird but I like to read notes the night before and dream about it so I kind of revise when I am sleeping too. Same goes for exam questions believe it or not). But alongside this, enough sleep will allow you to focus better. When you are tired stop revising. When you are bored do something fun. Don't force it. Don't let friends distract you when you study but talk to them when you feel the need to have a break. Study somewhere or get a change in environment by going to the library/cafe/school. Hope all this helps! Good luck.

do you have any of the notes you've mentioned, the spec specific ones? I use the textbook for bio and for chem i use my textbook + some yt vids but I haven't got the specific spec notes and idk where to find them. also, for bio and chem which questions have you noticed come up again and again? are there any specific ones? or a topic that comes which has the highest scoring mark?

Quick Reply

Latest