The Student Room Group

People who get 9's in their GCSE's, what is your home schedual like? How to revise?

How did you revise? How strict were you with yourself and your time? How disciplined were you etc?

What are some of the best tips you can give to get all 9's in GCSE's?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hey! I got a 9 in biology :]
I don't think I can advise you on all subjects (I got five 8-9 grades in GCSE the rest were 6-7) but for Biology, I would read over my past notes and do ALOT of revision questions and past papers, emphasising past papers!! I would have set times of day for revision and take scheduled breaks when revising (without using my phone, I would use it outside of my revision schedule)

But honestly don't be too hard on yourself! Setting a target of all 9s can be daunting. Just try your hardest and your efforts will shine through in your grades!

Good luck!!

Ps. If you want any more tips or advice I am open to help!
(edited 10 months ago)
Reply 2
Original post by li2023
Hey! I got a 9 in biology :]
I don't think I can advise you on all subjects (I got five 8-9 grades in GCSE the rest were 6-7) but for Biology, I would read over my past notes and do ALOT of revision questions and past papers, emphasising past papers!! I would have set times of day for revision and take scheduled breaks when revising (without using my phone, I would use it outside of my revision schedule)

But honestly don't be too hard on yourself! Setting a target of all 9s can be daunting. Just try your hardest and your efforts will shine through in your grades!

Good luck!!

Ps. If you want any more tips or advice I am open to help!

CAN YOU MENTION WHICH RESOURCES YOU USED? I WOULD REALLY APPRECIATE IT xx
Original post by Desperadoodle
How did you revise? How strict were you with yourself and your time? How disciplined were you etc?

Sat my GCSEs last year and ended up with 6 nines and 1 eight, (the other three grades were 776). Tbh I was quite lazy when it came to revising. My worst trait is that I like to do as little as possible to get what I need to get, nothing more, nothing less. If I had put in a slight bit more effort i'm sure all 9s would not have been that difficult. But anyway, this is what I did:

- Any subject that required knowledge e.g. history, english lit, the sciences etc, I made flashcards for them. These were detailed and there were a LOT of them. For example, I had like 500 flash cards in total for history. You want to include everything you know on them, but don't just dump information onto flashcards and hope to memorise them. I put a question on one side of the flash card then the answer on the other side. So it would be like 'what is a pacemaker?' and on the back I would put the answer 'A group of cells located in the right atrium that sends out signals that make the heart muscle contract and that regulates heart rate.' Used space repetition to memorise these. Anki was the biggest help when it came to this (If you're gonna take one thing from this let it be to use or at least research Anki).

- For subjects where you need to use application, as well as memorisation, I did exam questions and past papers. For Sciences I used PMT questions after I had memorised the content to a great degree. I would go through these questions topic by topic, then flag any questions I had got wrong. If I got a question wrong, and it was something that was knowledge based, I would turn the question into another flashcard so I knew that I would get it right the next time. For stuff like calculations in science, I watched videos on how to do the basics then again practiced. If I got it wrong, I would try find a video explanation of how to approach the calculation, or I'd ask one of my teachers. For stuff like english lit and language, I wrote practice essays and handed them into my teachers, then actively worked on what they suggested I could improve on.

- I think the only subjects that you can't use these two methods for is like Maths and art and design subjects. As maths isn't memorisation based you have to strictly focus on exam technique and understanding. I used the GCSE maths tutor on youtube (he explains every topic with exam style questions) and Mathsgenie to understand topics, then I did exam questions and past papers to work on my exam technique. I'd recommend going back on topics after a few weeks to make sure you still understand and can do them. For your creative subjects, I guess the struggle is with the coursework and the only advice i have there is to find out what you get awarded marks for, and using your teachers' advice focus on doing things that will achieve you these grades.

Like i've mentioned: I was lazy. I never went above and beyond for any subject, and for the subjects I got 776 in (Business Studies, Graphics, and Spanish) it was because I didn't revise them. The most difficult part of getting all 9s is giving enough of a crap about 10 different subjects to revise all of them. You don't really need to do any more than an hour or two a day of revision leading up to your exams. I would say revise for every mock and every in class test you may have, because it'll help you know the content off by heart.

All 9s isn't difficult. And I know a girl who got straight 9s in 11 subjects with literally the bare minimum effort (she might've done even less than me), but she was naturally really smart, so it is subjective. Also, you really don't need all 9s to get into any top university. As long as the majority of your grades are 8s and 9s you should be fine. Sorry this was a whole essay by itself haha, but good luck :smile:
(edited 8 months ago)
Reply 4
Original post by tinydance.r
Sat my GCSEs last year and ended up with 6 nines and 1 eight, (the other three grades were 776). Tbh I was quite lazy when it came to revising. My worst trait is that I like to do as little as possible to get what I need to get, nothing more, nothing less. If I had put in a slight bit more effort i'm sure all 9s would not have been that difficult. But anyway, this is what I did:

- Any subject that required knowledge e.g. history, english lit, the sciences etc, I made flashcards for them. These were detailed and there were a LOT of them. For example, I had like 500 flash cards in total for history. You want to include everything you know on them, but don't just dump information onto flashcards and hope to memorise them. I put a question on one side of the flash card then the answer on the other side. So it would be like 'what is a pacemaker?' and on the back I would put the answer 'A group of cells located in the right atrium that sends out signals that make the heart muscle contract and that regulates heart rate.' Used space repetition to memorise these. Anki was the biggest help when it came to this (If you're gonna take one thing from this let it be to use or at least research Anki).

- For subjects where you need to use application, as well as memorisation, I did exam questions and past papers. For Sciences I used PMT questions after I had memorised the content to a great degree. I would go through these questions topic by topic, then flag any questions I had got wrong. If I got a question wrong, and it was something that was knowledge based, I would turn the question into another flashcard so I knew that I would get it right the next time. For stuff like calculations in science, I watched videos on how to do the basics then again practiced. If I got it wrong, I would try find a video explanation of how to approach the calculation, or I'd ask one of my teachers. For stuff like english lit and language, I wrote practice essays and handed them into my teachers, then actively worked on what they suggested I could improve on.

- I think the only subjects that you can't use these two methods for is like Maths and art and design subjects. As maths isn't memorisation based you have to strictly focus on exam technique and understanding. I used the GCSE maths tutor on youtube (he explains every topic with exam style questions) and Mathsgenie to understand topics, then I did exam questions and past papers to work on my exam technique. I'd recommend going back on topics after a few weeks to make sure you still understand and can do them. For your creative subjects, I guess the struggle is with the coursework and the only advice i have there is to find out what you get awarded marks for, and using your teachers' advice focus on doing things that will achieve you these grades.

Like i've mentioned: I was lazy. I never went above and beyond for any subject, and for the subjects I got 776 in (Business Studies, Graphics, and Spanish) it was because I didn't revise them. The most difficult part of getting all 9s is giving enough of a crap about 10 different subjects to revise all of them. You don't really need to do any more than an hour or two a day of revision leading up to your exams. I would say revise for every mock and every in class test you may have, because it'll help you know the content off by heart.

All 9s isn't difficult. And I know a girl who got straight 9s in 11 subjects with literally the bare minimum effort (she might've done even less than me), but she was naturally really smart, so it is subjective. Also, you really don't need all 9s to get into any top university. As long as the majority of your grades are 8s and 9s you should be fine. Sorry this was a whole essay by itself haha, but good luck :smile:

omg you really took your time i this ..even though i didnt ask this question , you are so helpful and nice as i am a year 9 student!
i wish you all sucess in your studies xxx
Reply 5
Original post by Alm_xo

Of course!

I mainly used CGP revision books for reading over notes and used Physics and Maths Tutor (https://www.physicsandmathstutor.com/) for any past papers/revision questions.

I hope this helps and please do reply if you have any more questions! :]
Reply 6
Original post by li2023
Of course!

I mainly used CGP revision books for reading over notes and used Physics and Maths Tutor (https://www.physicsandmathstutor.com/) for any past papers/revision questions.

I hope this helps and please do reply if you have any more questions! :]

aw thx x
Reply 7

Hey - I sat my GCSEs this year and got perfect results (nine 9s, and an A in Level 3 Maths). I was not overly strict with myself; I was disciplined cause I understood the weight of the situation, so for a while my revision was essentially ruled by fear. It worked, but that's obviously not sustainable and you need the guts to do it, and guts is not a prerequisite for doing well.

Everything they tell you about past papers is true. They are the truth. The gold dust. A good 95% of my revision consisted of past paper after past paper; I drilled them to the point where I felt there was absolutely nothing they could throw me that would come as a curveball. Obviously there was stuff in the exams that I completely missed or messed up with (Geography papers 1 and 2 lmao), but with each exam I went in with a level head, and I knew the work I had done had been driven by my instincts and this built my confidence. I did about 3 past papers for each paper in the build up, equating to about 60 past papers or so. A lot, but it's possible and will really help - the reason it's so efficient is it's as close to what you'll actually get as possible. It's like a football team training against their opposition the day before the real match. It's like cheating.

I was very disillusioned with creative methods like mind-maps and flashcards. When I did make revision resources they were these humongous documents covering EVERYTHING in the specification. Even if I was copying off somewhere else, all of it was going into my head as I typed it out. My English Literature revision consisted of writing essay plans with quotes surrounding each theme - one tip I don't hear shared often is that by learning themes, you will learn characters at the same time as all they do is convey a certain theme. For example, the character of Macbeth exists to symbolise guilt, manliness, kingship and more. Mr Salles is practically a guaranteed way of getting 9s in English. I didn't take notes for the sciences - I used Cognito's interactive lessons which are a brilliant tool.

Exam technique is also so huge. I knew so many people who would do so well in lessons, but put them in a hall and they'd perform nothing like they did. For every exam I used Rescue Remedy to calm my nerves (I'm not here to be a Holland and Barrett but it's a good tip), and highlighted EVERYTHING. I decided it was worth taking up all of my time to do things thoroughly and make sure I missed absolutely nothing. I got a good night's sleep every night and woke up with ample time to get myself in a state where I could take an exam.

As the weeks went along, I virtually monkey-barred from one exam to the next. I found there was no time for reflection, once one exam was done you had to start thinking about the next three. For me, I felt it was perfect to just be fluid and take each one as they come.

Efficient revision and a good mindset trumps every single cardboard-cutout revision strategy every single time. Find what works for you, trust your instincts and just go for it. I know it's a late reply, but I wish you every success for next year :smile:
Reply 8
Hi - I got 9s in all my subjects except for Maths and Physics.

Like others have said above, do PASTPAPERS and MARK THEM. Past questions are often repeated in exams and it's a good way to 1) practice active recall and 2) understand the format of exams and what examiners are looking for.

For subjects like English Lit and History where you have to memorise quotes/dates/statistics etc. for essays, try writing things on sticky notes and sticking them on your wall.
For science, I used the CGP revision guides, savemyexams, and youtube videos (freescience lessons and cognito are good).

Honestly, don't stress about it. I procastinated a lot during study leave so don't beat yourself up if you aren't sticking to a strict schedule. If you've been paying attention in lessons and done a handful of pastpapers for every subject, you should be fine.

Also, make sure to get 8 hours of sleep before every exam. That's probably most important.
Reply 9
Original post by Alm_xo

as a student who got similar grades,
anki, seneca, physicsandmathstutor, freesciencelessons, knowunity, quizlet, educake, savemyexams, bbc bitesize, specification. Thats all the resources i used

i got 4 9s in my gcses (8's and 7's in a couple other subjects) and take what i'm about to say w a grain of salt cause i was the covid gcse year (2020-2021). so for me my exams were over like a four month period instead of the regular 2. the exams i got 9s in were the ones i really enjoyed (french spanish bio and RE) and maths (my lowest grade) was the one i hated. I would just say focus more on the stuff u dislike/are worst at, so when u revise focus on the stuff u understand less, otherwise when u do the exams and u see all the stuff u dislike or have no idea about on there, you'll be stuck. ignore anyone that says u need to do like 8 hours of revision a day. i never did that. just revise what u feel is the most important and don't waste time on stuff u already 100% know! like for maths i kept revising the stuff i was good at and just ignored the harder stuff cause i hated it so much (don't make that mistake). gcses are nowhere near as bad as everyone makes them out to be, save that stress for a levels!
ok, i got 9999999888.

Maths - math genie - watch the videos, follow along, then do the worksheets - got me a 9
english lit - listen to audiobooks of the books you have to read, use spark notes, try and force yourself to be interested in the book ( watching a movie on it is also a good idea to give a face to the characters )
english lang - there are templates for each kind of writing ( letter, article, etc ) that you can find online. Memorise a few main features of each and you're fine
physics - go through the spec, see exactly what you have to know and learn nothing more. Do past papers. use the cgp.
biology - same as physics
chemistry - same as physics but watch videos for practicals so you remember them better
history/RE - use the spec. essays are easier than you think. two points for, two points against. Work out how many paragraphs you need for the number of marks the essay is. Don't bother with dates, other than the general gist. RE is incredibly easy imho, you can watch philosophy videos on crash course too for extra help.
Languages - learn some impressive grammar points ( like using a specific, advanced phrase ) and just shove it into your essays. Just force it in. Make sure you use all tenses possible. Cram em in there. Vocab is important, use quizlet and also make sure you use the voice feature so that you actually hear the word, otherwise the listening exam will drag you

In general:
- use the spec and learn exactly what's there and nothing else
- do past papers in timed conditions IN THIS METHOD - go through it, answer the easiest ones, then the intermediate ones, then the hard ones. Leave the hardest one for last. This way you get all of the possible marks without wasting time on something you were going to get wrong anyways.
- keep an eye on the time in exams and past papers
- make sure you don't have any special needs or learning difficulties, these can be sneaky, I had no idea I had ADHD so definitely ask your SENCO for a general assessment just to check
- ask questions in class. Do not leave a class without understanding something
- at the end of every week, if you can be bothered, just go through the spec and see what points you covered in each of your subjects in class and do a few exam questions on them. If you get them wrong, try and do a little revision. If you do this, you literally will not need to revise.
- duolingo is the GOAT for languages. Use it.
- blooket. I cannot recommend it highly enough. Literally video games but they somehow make you learn stuff. I learnt a whole a level in three months using blooket I am not kidding. Got an A. BLOOKET. it's amazing.
Reply 12
Hi! I got 10 9s and an 8 (two marks off a 9)
I started revising fairly early (around half way through February) to make sure I learnt all the content before the actual exams to not stress as much. During the week, I would revise from 8pm to 9 after school, and in the weekends I would revise from 8am to 10, from 2pm to 4 and from 7pm to 9, although this varied based on how much homework I had etc. During the actual exam period, I already knew all the content, so I just did past papers.

For maths, my best advice is to do a lot of practice questions. I would search up 'gcse (topic) questions hard' and do them. I really love this website:
https://madasmaths.com/
If you get a question wrong, look at the steps to get the answer and try to analyse why you have to do each step, as this will help you answer all the questions on that topic, even if they are slightly different.

For physics, learn the equations really well. Most of the time, even in written answers, you can use equations to explain your point. Also, make sure you know all the laws and theories etc because if you understand them you can answer pretty much everything.

For chemistry and biology, I searched up past paper questions by topic and checked the mark scheme. Usually, there are always a few keywords that the examiner wants you to include in your answer, which can help boost your marks.

For languages, I'd say the most important thing is learning vocab, as it will help a lot in the reading and listening papers (vocab is also important for ancient languages). I managed to get 100% in both papers by doing this. For speaking and writing, I prepared phrases with good structures and words that I could add in for any topic. Also, grammar is really important.

For subjects like history and English, I personally despise flash cards, so I just re-read my notes over and over until I could practically picture them in my head during the exam.
(edited 8 months ago)
Reply 13

What has personally helped me is downloading this study app which helps me track my study as a sort of encouragement (it's called Forest).

However, overall, I've made sure to keep a pretty even distribution of revision between all of my subjects by doing questions in textbooks, but the best method of revision I've found is going through past papers/questions and if you get any question wrong, write it down and go over that specific topic again.
Reply 14
Getting all 9s requires discipline, commitment and sacrifice. You will need to get into a good routine from September and stick to it.

Aim for 3 hours of revision on school nights and 4 hours a day at weekends to start with. You will need to increase this substantially when it comes to mock and exam periods.
(edited 8 months ago)
Reply 15
Original post by rysua
as a student who got similar grades,
anki, seneca, physicsandmathstutor, freesciencelessons, knowunity, quizlet, educake, savemyexams, bbc bitesize, specification. Thats all the resources i used

thank you x
Reply 16
Hello i am a year 9 student taking
Maths( higher)
Science ( higher , triple) hopefully
English
English Lit
Geography
History
Computer Studies
Religious Studies

is it possible to aim for all 9's?
i am a student with a calibre of doing so but idk if i can acheive as i am not the smartest of everyone,i keep doubting myself
Reply 17
Original post by Flk10
Getting all 9s requires discipline, commitment and sacrifice. You will need to get into a good routine from September and stick to it.

Aim for 3 hours of revision on school nights and 3 4 hours a day at weekends to start with. You will need to increase this substantially when it comes to mock and exam periods.

is 3 hrs enough for a year 9 ?
Reply 18
i am thinking of making flashcards online on quizlet or use the ones of others
and making notes of each chapter and storing them on binders and when end of topic tests arrive i consice them to even smaller booklet thingy to save time and to revise on the go..and i will also be uploading the notes in google drive so it does not get lost and my sibilings can use them in the future ..

is this a good strategy for note taking?
and ofc i will do spaced rep.and do q n a and do past year papers along with cgp books
Original post by Alm_xo
Hello i am a year 9 student taking
Maths( higher)
Science ( higher , triple) hopefully
English
English Lit
Geography
History
Computer Studies
Religious Studies

is it possible to aim for all 9's?
i am a student with a calibre of doing so but idk if i can acheive as i am not the smartest of everyone,i keep doubting myself

If you're moving into Year 10 you have 2 years - it's definitely possible. You don't even need to revise in Year 10, but perhaps start creating flashcards for each topic (one set per week) leading up to Year 11. Then all you have to do is revise them (I would recommend Anki) and do past papers. THIS IS AN EXTREMELY BASIC METHOD!

Quick Reply

Latest