The Student Room Group

Do I have enough time to improve?

Is one week enough to get at a 5 in History?
and If so how can I do this?
Hello, Hope you are okay.

Very controversial point, but I believe you can! I did my GCSE's last year and literally didn't revise until the last possible minute, which in turn gave me the adrenaline and motivation to do well. Whilst it wasn't history in particular, I took essay based subjects and I recommend knowing the dates of events with a small 1-line description of them and how you answer different question styles. If you revise and learn them, you can use them as a basis for your answers and it should trigger a train of thought as you associate details you have came across in class before without even realising.

If you have any other questions, either reply to me on this thread or private message me, Good luck:smile:
(edited 11 months ago)
Original post by please help me x

Very controversial point, but I believe you can! I did my GCSE's last year and literally didn't revise until the last possible minute, which in turn gave me the adrenaline and motivation to do well. Whilst it wasn't history in particular, I took almost all essay based subjects and I recommend knowing the dates of events with a small 1-line description of them and how you answer different question styles. If you revise and learn them, you can use them as a basis for your answers and it should trigger a train of thought as you associate details you have came across in class before without even realising.

If you have any other questions, either reply to me on this thread or private message me, Good luck:smile:

how did u memorise it all, its so much to contain
Reply 3
If you don’t mind me asking what did you get in your mocks and what did you come out with ??

Very controversial point, but I believe you can! I did my GCSE's last year and literally didn't revise until the last possible minute, which in turn gave me the adrenaline and motivation to do well. Whilst it wasn't history in particular, I took almost all essay based subjects and I recommend knowing the dates of events with a small 1-line description of them and how you answer different question styles. If you revise and learn them, you can use them as a basis for your answers and it should trigger a train of thought as you associate details you have came across in class before without even realising.

I guess the thing to remember is that anything you do is better than none. It might be enough on the day, it might not, but you'll know you've tried and will do better than if you've not done any revision at all. So get your head down, make some key notes for each topic and then start doing some practice questions :smile:
Original post by munif.quadri07
how did u memorise it all, its so much to contain

Hello- Sorry for not replying sooner! It is, so I will suggest a couple methods that worked for me but bare in mind there are so many different ways out there, so don't get disheartened if these aren't the way. These are also methods not typically mentioned by your average teacher.

I also have a couple of side tips I wanted to give you so here they are: Always ask for extra paper in the exam, to do planning on and write anything down at the beginning of the exam you think you may forget later on. These are scrap papers and are generally not included for examiners, so if you have certain acronyms and diagrams you need i recommend writing them here. Also do not be afraid to doodle on these as it can be calming. My next tip is if you have a lesson before the exam ask the teacher to revise separately from the lesson to prepare. Some teachers may need a bit of prior warning and if that is the case or there is no space/distractions in that classroom, ask to go somewhere else to revise like a safe quiet space of yours, or even an empty classroom. My final tip is then to highlight key points of the question, to make sure you don't misunderstand it. This includes command words, the subject of the sentence, and how many marks so you know how much to write. My final tip is to go over topics you have revised/looked at intervals like 10 minutes, 30 minutes, 1 hour, 2 hours etc for regular reinforcement. I get these can seem obvious, but many forget and these really help in the exams.

Some revising methods:

In the usual scenario like reading a textbook, use what my teacher used to call the Von Lewis method (Ex-student of his created it with him), where you read a page and form bullet points about it, and once you have got bullet points, memorise them and keep testing yourself regularly and you cannot move onto the next page of reading until you know your bullet points word for word. In this case, you won't have enough time for this method, so I suggest adapting it. Adapt it so you write the title of the event, the duration of it, and who was involved. That can be a single bullet point and then try to memorise it like that.

The next method is what I call the Whiteboard method. When learning new content, or in your case maybe old content that you might have forgotten, and are using a textbook/powerpoint/video etc as your source of information, take notes on your whiteboard and whiteboard ONLY. It is unusual I know but as you have to rub off the work at the end, it makes the brain more likely to remember things as it knows these notes are limited and can't be accessed again like it can with an exercise book. Kind of like a psychological trick. Please remember to attempt memorising them before cleaning the board though.

The next one is a combination of acronyms and annotated diagrams. For the acronyms, a process/series of events or an organisation tend to work best. A key thing is though, always use something you can relate to or find funny for the acronym. I often used dark humour or swear words, but I guess you could use animals or something like that if you know you will remember them.
For the diagrams: Think of a topic, think of something that you can associate with it and draw that. Then number different parts of the diagram and associate a bullet point for each number. For example I had drawn the CPU (terribly, might I add) with numbers at certain points to refer to the fetch-decode-execute cycle in computer science but for history maybe a stick man and a gun with lines in front to represent trenches and no man's land in the world war's.

The final suggestion I have is listening to revision videos for subjects/particular topics on youtube, preferably no longer than 20 minutes so it is straight to the point and not beating around the bush. Best time to listen to these is through headphones on the way to school the morning of exam, for example on your route to school, or at break/lunch. A good safety method for topics that you are unsure of right before the exam to which you can write immediate notes down.

Please let me know of anything else and how it goes! Hope this helps:smile:
Original post by Omotadee
If you don’t mind me asking what did you get in your mocks and what did you come out with ??

Ah of course! I got a a range, so I tried listing them out as clear as I could:
subjects -- mock grades -- final grades
Citizenship -- 6 -- 8
Combined science (Dual grades) -- 4,3 -- 6,5
Computer Science -- 5 -- 8
English Literature -- 4 -- 6
English Language -- 5 -- 8
Mathematics -- 4 -- 6
Psychology -- 7 -- 8
Spanish -- 3 -- 6
(edited 11 months ago)
Reply 7
Omgshhhhh well done you honestly did so so well ! You should be proud of yourself, did you get an 8 in citizenship with last minute revision tooo. I know you already stated that you got all these grades with last minute region, but how last minute was the last minute revision ???
Ah of course! I got a a range, so I tried listing them out as clear as I could:
subjects -- mock grades -- final grades
Citizenship -- 6 -- 8
Combined science (Dual grades) -- 4,3 -- 6,5
Computer Science -- 5 -- 8
English Literature -- 4 -- 6
English Language -- 5 -- 8
Mathematics -- 4 -- 6
Psychology -- 7 -- 8
Spanish -- 3 -- 6
Original post by Omotadee
Omgshhhhh well done you honestly did so so well ! You should be proud of yourself, did you get an 8 in citizenship with last minute revision tooo. I know you already stated that you got all these grades with last minute region, but how last minute was the last minute revision ???

Ahh ty! By last minute revision I mean I didn't start revising until the weekend prior to my first exam which was a Monday- something like the 18/19th May (Computer science). My citizenship exams were one of my last ones so I didn't really pay attention to it to much until then. That being said I generally found the subject to be common sense for the most part and literally just listened to short videos on democracy in the subject and watched the news/interviews so I could see how they word things which really helped with essay's, since the sources they gave us were worded the same way. So on average I wouldn't revise until weekend before/day of it.
(edited 11 months ago)
Reply 9
Original post by munif.quadri07
Is one week enough to get at a 5 in History?
and If so how can I do this?

Heya!
It depends, what are you currently getting? How much have you been revising? If you only are planning to revise for 1 week before the exam then unfortunately it might be very hard :frown:

I hope this helps and good luck!
Milena
UCL PFE
Study mind
Original post by StudyMind
Heya!
It depends, what are you currently getting? How much have you been revising? If you only are planning to revise for 1 week before the exam then unfortunately it might be very hard :frown:

I hope this helps and good luck!
Milena
UCL PFE
Study mind

currently on 4

Quick Reply

Latest