The Student Room Group

AS Physics Edexcel - Ultrasound

Hello, I am studying Physics AS and was revising. I get pretty much all the topic just one little bit I don't understand and the exam question comes up quite a bit.

How does ultrasound pass through metal?

-I have looked at the mark scheme but I would like to fully understand to be able to do questions on it in the exam
-I understand that ultrasound is a longitudinal wave and how it propagates in the air just not in metal.

Thank you very much in advance even just for reading this.

Aiden McCall
Reply 1
Update:
Anyone..?
Original post by A.McCall
Update:
Anyone..?
The answer is the same way as they travel through air.

The difference is air molecules are fast moving and random but the sound propagates through both as a pressure wave.

In a solid, the molecules/atoms are fixed but vibrate about a mean position. Sound still propagates as a pressure wave but since the atoms are tightly bound together, the energy is transferred at a higher average speed.

Take a look at this excellent interactive page.

You can move the sliders to alter both amplitude and frequency and see the effects in different mediums including the speed of the wave.

http://www.educationscotland.gov.uk/resources/s/sound/solid.asp?strReferringChannel=resources&strReferringPageID=tcm:4-248293-64
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by uberteknik
The answer is the same way as they travel through air.

The difference is air molecules are fast moving and random but the sound propagates through both as a pressure wave.

In a solid, the molecules/atoms are fixed but vibrate about a mean position. Sound still propagates as a pressure wave but since the atoms are tightly bound together, the energy is transferred at a higher average speed.

Take a look at this excellent interactive page.

You can move the sliders to alter both amplitude and frequency and see the effects in different mediums including the speed of the wave.

http://www.educationscotland.gov.uk/resources/s/sound/solid.asp?strReferringChannel=resources&strReferringPageID=tcm:4-248293-64

Thank you very much this helped alot

Quick Reply

Latest