The Student Room Group

sonography Leeds uni

Hii so I was doing some research and I found a Medical Ultrasound (Sonography) BSc at leeds and I’m very confused because I previously asked on here (and spoke to my tutor/careers office) about going into sonography and was told it’s only possible as a post graduate course. Sonography is honestly my dream career and i would have applied for this if knew😭 is there any chance I could apply for this in an alternative way?? I’ve already submitted my ucas application. Also pls let me know if you are on this course or done it?? Do you just go straight into sonography after graduating?? Thank you x

Scroll to see replies

Original post by berrybeom
Hii so I was doing some research and I found a Medical Ultrasound (Sonography) BSc at leeds and I’m very confused because I previously asked on here (and spoke to my tutor/careers office) about going into sonography and was told it’s only possible as a post graduate course. Sonography is honestly my dream career and i would have applied for this if knew😭 is there any chance I could apply for this in an alternative way?? I’ve already submitted my ucas application. Also pls let me know if you are on this course or done it?? Do you just go straight into sonography after graduating?? Thank you x

Did you receive your welcome email from UCAS within the last 14 days? If so, you can change your mind about the courses you're applying for. You can substitute each of your 5 choices once using the Substitute Choice button. See this page for details.

Do you meet the entry requirements for the new course? Is your personal statement applicable to it?

The course was only accredited by the Consortium for the Accreditation for Sonographic Education (CASE) in August 2023, so this looks to be a very new course. This is presumably why you didn't come across it before.
Reply 2
Original post by DataVenia
Did you receive your welcome email from UCAS within the last 14 days? If so, you can change your mind about the courses you're applying for. You can substitute each of your 5 choices once using the Substitute Choice button. See this page for details.

Do you meet the entry requirements for the new course? Is your personal statement applicable to it?

The course was only accredited by the Consortium for the Accreditation for Sonographic Education (CASE) in August 2023, so this looks to be a very new course. This is presumably why you didn't come across it before.

Hii thank you for your response. Is it possible for me to just substitute one of my choices for it? As this seems to be the only sonography bsc course? I’ll send my tutor an email about this but pls let me know?
Hii thank you for your response. Is it possible for me to just substitute one of my choices for it? As this seems to be the only sonography bsc course? I’ll send my tutor an email about this but pls let me know?

It is, yes. As long as you received your welcome email from UCAS within the last 14 days.

Just pick the choice you want to remove and use the Substitute Choice button to replace it with the Sonography course at Leeds.
Reply 4
It is, yes. As long as you received your welcome email from UCAS within the last 14 days.

Just pick the choice you want to remove and use the Substitute Choice button to replace it with the Sonography course at Leeds.

does my college just need to send it back to me? Also I don’t know if you know this but my personal statement is about diagnostic radiography, would this be an issue or would they understand because it is a relatively new course and it’s one of the only undergraduate courses in ultrasound? Sorry for all these questions😭
does my college just need to send it back to me? Also I don’t know if you know this but my personal statement is about diagnostic radiography, would this be an issue or would they understand because it is a relatively new course and it’s one of the only undergraduate courses in ultrasound? Sorry for all these questions😭

Have you actually submitted your UCAS application or has it just been sent to your tutor for checking? If the latter, you should be able to log in to your UCAS account and make the change. If the former, then you can make a change within 14 days of the welcome email.

With regards to personal statement, ring Leeds and ask is you can send them a separate statement for the course (as I presume you will still apply to DR courses for your other choices). They might be willing to do that as it is such a new course and the only one in the country (the other 'new' undergraduate sonography course offered by Sheffield Hallam appears to be a degree apprenticeship).
(edited 6 months ago)

Have you received a welcome email from UCAS? If so, when did you receive it?
Reply 7
Have you received a welcome email from UCAS? If so, when did you receive it?

No not yet so hopefully I can change one of my options:smile:
Reply 8
Original post by normaw
Have you actually submitted your UCAS application or has it just been sent to your tutor for checking? If the latter, you should be able to log in to your UCAS account and make the change. If the former, then you can make a change within 14 days of the welcome email.

With regards to personal statement, ring Leeds and ask is you can send them a separate statement for the course (as I presume you will still apply to DR courses for your other choices). They might be willing to do that as it is such a new course and the only one in the country (the other 'new' undergraduate sonography course offered by Sheffield Hallam appears to be a degree apprenticeship).

I’ve emailed them asking about a separate personal statement hopefully they get back soon thank you for all your help!!
No not yet so hopefully I can change one of my options:smile:

In that case it's likely that it's still sitting with your college (whilst they add your reference and predicted grades) and they haven't actually submitted it to UCAS yet. In which case you can absolutely substitute one of your options.
Hi! No advice I'm sorry I just want to say I am also thinking of applying for this course. It's exactly what I have been looking for. It sounds amazing doesn't it. Best of luck to you and hopefully see you on the course 🤞🤞
(edited 6 months ago)
Reply 11
Original post by Sonographer1day
Hi! No advice I'm sorry I just want to say I am also thinking of applying for this course. It's exactly what I have been looking for. It sounds amazing doesn't it. Best of luck to you and hopefully see you on the course 🤞🤞

Awww thank you, hope to see you too xx quick question: are you applying for only sonography courses as there seem to only be two or are you also applying for other courses alongside this?

Awww thank you, hope to see you too xx quick question: are you applying for only sonography courses as there seem to only be two or are you also applying for other courses alongside this?

I'm only applying for the Medical Ultrasound Bsc at Leeds. I know it's quite risky as I may not gain a place but I really am only passionate about Ultrasound and not the other aspects of Radiography so I worry I will struggle to pass my degree in something my hearts not in. I'll only be applying for Leeds too as I am from this neck of the woods and I have 3 young children so others just aren't feasible. I've also heard amazing things about this uni and the development of this course from my daughter's sonographer. If I don't gain a place I will have to keep trying until I do. How about you?
Reply 13
I'm only applying for the Medical Ultrasound Bsc at Leeds. I know it's quite risky as I may not gain a place but I really am only passionate about Ultrasound and not the other aspects of Radiography so I worry I will struggle to pass my degree in something my hearts not in. I'll only be applying for Leeds too as I am from this neck of the woods and I have 3 young children so others just aren't feasible. I've also heard amazing things about this uni and the development of this course from my daughter's sonographer. If I don't gain a place I will have to keep trying until I do. How about you?

Oh wow that makes sense, all the best of luck to you I really hope you get a place!! And I’ve sent my application off for diagnostic radiography at Leeds, BCU, Salford, Cardiff and Sheffield. If i end up applying for this I’ll be swapping my Sheffield option for it. I don’t think I’m up for putting all my eggs in one basket as I feel like it may be a very competitive course although sonography is my ultimate dream I’d rather make sure I’ve got 'backups' (if that’s the word considering radiography is my first choice) but I’ve emailed leeds yesterday probably should of called might of gotten a faster response as they haven’t gotten back to me asking for further details and if I can apply with a separate ps. But I also want my tutors advice/opinion as this seems to be a very new course and I’m not sure if there would be good job prospects after graduating as sonography seems to be quite an advanced career?? Sorry for such a rant 😭xx

Oh wow that makes sense, all the best of luck to you I really hope you get a place!! And I’ve sent my application off for diagnostic radiography at Leeds, BCU, Salford, Cardiff and Sheffield. If i end up applying for this I’ll be swapping my Sheffield option for it. I don’t think I’m up for putting all my eggs in one basket as I feel like it may be a very competitive course although sonography is my ultimate dream I’d rather make sure I’ve got 'backups' (if that’s the word considering radiography is my first choice) but I’ve emailed leeds yesterday probably should of called might of gotten a faster response as they haven’t gotten back to me asking for further details and if I can apply with a separate ps. But I also want my tutors advice/opinion as this seems to be a very new course and I’m not sure if there would be good job prospects after graduating as sonography seems to be quite an advanced career?? Sorry for such a rant 😭xx

Thank you so much it would honestly make me cry if I gain a place. I was so born to do this and now I've raised a family, I'm ready to take off in my career. I really hope you get your desired outcome too. I am sure you will, you sound very clued up and it sounds like you are flexible in where you can study too so that's always a bonus. The worry regarding HCPC registration is worrying for me too but I do think things are changing and with this course being so new and qualified and working Sonographers teaching and developing the course I do believe they must have faith things are also changing and going the right way. They have to. The country is crying out for sonographers and there's so many Radiographers, Midwives and Nurses waiting to be given a chance to study a post graduate Ultrasound Course in Sonography but can't because there's not enough opportunities and people to mentor them they're essentially stuck, not to mention the competition gaining a place. For me, the risk is something I'm prepared to do to get to where I ultimately want to be. I have looked and slowly but surely the Sonographer nhs job posts are changing and are accepting HCPC equivalent registration ie RCT which is a register we can access upon graduation. So there's a positive :smile:

Hi! Did you end up applying for the sonography course at Leeds? If so have you heard anything back yet?
Reply 16
Hi! Did you end up applying for the sonography course at Leeds? If so have you heard anything back yet?

Hii!! I actually didn’t end up applying for that course just diagnostic radiography instead but I actually haven’t heard back from them which has me a bit worried lol but apparently Leeds usually takes quite a while to get back to people so I can only hope xx
I know that there’s a sonography degree apprenticeship that’s starting in March? May be worth checking it out on the NHS website.
Hii!! I actually didn’t end up applying for that course just diagnostic radiography instead but I actually haven’t heard back from them which has me a bit worried lol but apparently Leeds usually takes quite a while to get back to people so I can only hope xx

Good luck hope to see you there!
Original post by MkhaStudent12
I know that there’s a sonography degree apprenticeship that’s starting in March? May be worth checking it out on the NHS website.

Thank you for this do you have a link I cannot seem to find it! Thank you

Quick Reply

Latest