The Student Room Group

Ultrasound soon

Hi I’m having a pelvic and transvaginal ultrasound… if I missed my period this month will the scan show a follicle ? like polycystic ovaries ?
BUMP
Reply 2
Discuss this with your GP or other medical professionals.
Reply 3
Original post by accesstonursing
Hi I’m having a pelvic and transvaginal ultrasound… if I missed my period this month will the scan show a follicle ? like polycystic ovaries ?

It might. If the doctors could absolutely predict the outcome of the test, there would be no point doing it.

My partner had one and its not bad.

Do they think you may have PCO? Have they done bloods?
Original post by Apachecow
It might. If the doctors could absolutely predict the outcome of the test, there would be no point doing it.

My partner had one and its not bad.

Do they think you may have PCO? Have they done bloods?

I have PCOS already kind of diagnosed (signs of facial hair, back acne , weight issues and irregular periods) but was 17 at the time as was told to come back to get a proper diagnosis as she doesnt diagnose pcos until 8 years of having periods but I started at 11 so it would have been 6 but I never did go back (19 now). I just know I have it but without the polycystic ovaries apparently. I also have bad cramps too and was told at my scan that my left ovary is immobile and tender which is located in the pouch of douglas which she thought were features of adhesions... so not sure if it could be pelvic inflammatory disease or endometriosis... as have no cysts so i dont understand tbh.
Original post by Milleniyule
Unprotected sex while still in education?

When did I say that lol?!
Reply 6
Ultrasound can detect masses, yeah, it detected one on my kidney, CT scan showed it to be a 10cm cyst. If they detect masses you will have a follow up if they can't identify what it is through ultrasound.
Original post by ROTL94 4
Ultrasound can detect masses, yeah, it detected one on my kidney, CT scan showed it to be a 10cm cyst. If they detect masses you will have a follow up if they can't identify what it is through ultrasound.

Oh thank you!! Hope you feel better now🙂 what is a CT scan?
Reply 8
Oh thank you!! Hope you feel better now🙂 what is a CT scan?

Computed tomography. Shows a more detailed view of whatever part of your body they want to see.
Computed tomography. Shows a more detailed view of whatever part of your body they want to see.

Ah ok sounds better than the ultrasound! Is it basically an MRI? May request for that to be done thanks!!🙂
Reply 10
Ah ok sounds better than the ultrasound! Is it basically an MRI? May request for that to be done thanks!!🙂

Ultrasound can detect masses, because masses produce shadows on the ultrasound, I.E. the soundwave is being blocked by something, sometimes they can tell what this is, sometimes they can't and suggest a CT be done, to rule out or in other things. It's not the same as an MRI, and MRI is magnetic resonance imaging, it is the most detailed scan, but often a CT is sufficient in identifying things, if they think you need one, you'll get one. They try to avoid CTs unless necessary because of the radiation exposure and how costly it is. CTs are also much quicker than MRI the longest CT scan I have had lasted 10 minutes. Longest MRI was an hour and a half.
(edited 4 months ago)
Ultrasound can detect masses, because masses produce shadows on the ultrasound, I.E. the soundwave is being blocked by something, sometimes they can tell what this is, sometimes they can't and suggest a CT be done, to rule out or in other things. It's not the same as an MRI, and MRI is magnetic resonance imaging, it is the most detailed scan, but often a CT is sufficient in identifying things, if they think you need one, you'll get one. They try to avoid CTs unless necessary because of the radiation exposure and how costly it is. CTs are also much quicker than MRI the longest CT scan I have had lasted 10 minutes. Longest MRI was an hour and a half.

Oh yep that makes sense - ultrasounds aren't the best form of imaging unless there's something more obvious I suppose. I went to a private ultrasound clinic so I need to have a chat with my GP but literally just had my phone stolen yesterday so hopefully I can get my report back as it was on a link! So fingers crossed there can be something else like a CT scan to see what is happening. Do you recommend one for my problem? The CT scan doesn't seem that bad then - the MRI is so long omg!!
Ultrasound is far more use for looking at your ovaries than CT or MRI - don't be distracted.

Have you had bloods taken?

Do you have regular periods?

NHS guidelines for PCOS diagnosis:

Diagnosis criteria
A diagnosis of PCOS can usually be made if other rare causes of the same symptoms have been ruled out and you meet at least 2 of the following 3 criteria:

you have irregular periods or infrequent periods this indicates that your ovaries do not regularly release eggs (ovulate)

blood tests showing you have high levels of "male hormones", such as testosterone (or sometimes just the signs of excess male hormones, even if the blood test is normal)

scans showing you have polycystic ovaries

As only 2 of these need to be present to diagnose PCOS, you will not necessarily need to have an ultrasound scan before the condition can be confirmed.
(edited 4 months ago)
Original post by Apachecow
Ultrasound is far more use for looking at your ovaries than CT or MRI - don't be distracted.

Have you had bloods taken?

Do you have regular periods?

NHS guidelines for PCOS diagnosis:

I had normal bloods years ago at 16 but it’s definitely getting worse and tbh they didn’t test for everything - it’s mostly physical symptoms too! no one in my family has facial hair or hormonal issues that i know of. But I did experience my LH being a bit higher than normal meaning apparently that my ovaries aren’t doing their job. I do have very irregular periods and suffer with weight gain- also pain too and im 19 now so could possibly get bloods re taken. does it seem like I don’t have it then? I have been told to come back as an adult but never did to get a proper diagnosis
And have a normal multi-follicular on my right ovary does this mean just more follicles than usual and then just my other ovary isn’t great
(edited 4 months ago)
I had normal bloods years ago at 16 but it’s definitely getting worse and tbh they didn’t test for everything - it’s mostly physical symptoms too! no one in my family has facial hair or hormonal issues that i know of. But I did experience my LH being a bit higher than normal meaning apparently that my ovaries aren’t doing their job. I do have very irregular periods and suffer with weight gain- also pain too and im 19 now so could possibly get bloods re taken. does it seem like I don’t have it then? I have been told to come back as an adult but never did to get a proper diagnosis
And have a normal multi-follicular on my right ovary does this mean just more follicles than usual and then just my other ovary isn’t great

these are all questions to be asking your doctor, not TSR

Many girls have irregular periods, some facial hair and gain weight without having PCOS.

Get the scan, get the bloods retaken and see whether you have it or not.

Quick Reply

Latest